DPS is currently inputting mid Feb.

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

jaybeau
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Re: DPS is currently inputting mid Feb.

Post by jaybeau »

Day 41 since DPS received mine and still 'Awaiting Materials' . I checked this morning with 4 others who all had our COMPLETE packets delivered separately via certified mail on 2/21 and all are 'Awaiting Materials'.
We've been in touch over the last week with our Texas State Representative and thankfully he's been listening to us. We've sent him correspondence, or the lack thereof, with DPS over the last week and his office has been reviewing it. We have a call with his office today at 2. Our major concern is
a.) We paid $140 + fingerprinting+CHL class fee and have had no reply from DPS in 41 days.
b.) Since we know that DPS signed for the packets 41 days ago, why aren't they in the system. There is some HIGHLY sensitive personal information in those packets, so what is being done with them and where are they...since we have no replies to any of our inquiries.

If you are in a similar situation, please contact your Texas State Representative. They WILL listen and do something about it. You can find your Texas State Rep using this link:
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/fi ... sentative/

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 16

Post by nightmare69 »

jaybeau wrote:Day 41 since DPS received mine and still 'Awaiting Materials' . I checked this morning with 4 others who all had our COMPLETE packets delivered separately via certified mail on 2/21 and all are 'Awaiting Materials'.
We've been in touch over the last week with our Texas State Representative and thankfully he's been listening to us. We've sent him correspondence, or the lack thereof, with DPS over the last week and his office has been reviewing it. We have a call with his office today at 2. Our major concern is
a.) We paid $140 + fingerprinting+CHL class fee and have had no reply from DPS in 41 days.
b.) Since we know that DPS signed for the packets 41 days ago, why aren't they in the system. There is some HIGHLY sensitive personal information in those packets, so what is being done with them and where are they...since we have no replies to any of our inquiries.

If you are in a similar situation, please contact your Texas State Representative. They WILL listen and do something about it. You can find your Texas State Rep using this link:

I agree that the state should jump in and figure out why they are so slow. DPS says its getting 15-17k apps a month, take the low end 15k and times it by $140, comes out to 2,100,000.00 per month DPS is making. Now I know that not everyone is paying the full $140 fee but you can bet that DPS is banking at least 1.5 million a month. With that kind of money there is NO reason they cannot hire more help or invest in better system.

Day 36 for me since DPS has signed for my mailed in app and complete packet, no update and not in the system.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

nightmare69 wrote:
jaybeau wrote:Day 41 since DPS received mine and still 'Awaiting Materials' . I checked this morning with 4 others who all had our COMPLETE packets delivered separately via certified mail on 2/21 and all are 'Awaiting Materials'.

I agree that the state should jump in and figure out why they are so slow. DPS says its getting 15-17k apps a month, take the low end 15k and times it by $140, comes out to 2,100,000.00 per month DPS is making. Now I know that not everyone is paying the full $140 fee but you can bet that DPS is banking at least 1.5 million a month. With that kind of money there is NO reason they cannot hire more help or invest in better system.

Day 36 for me since DPS has signed for my mailed in app and complete packet, no update and not in the system.
The statute allows 60 days to complete an application, even though their average is much shorter. Contacting a Representative or Senator before the statutory time limit has expired is unwarranted and counterproductive. Instead of blasting DPS, you should be praising their efforts to turn out licenses in less than the statutorily required time.

As has been stated numerous times before, DPS does not get the CHL application fee; it goes to the general fund. Also, the 15,000 to 17,000 applications a month are not all new applications ($140). Many are renewals ($70), many get the 50% reduction in fees and some are free.

Chas.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: The statute allows 60 days to complete an application, even though their average is much shorter. Contacting a Representative or Senator before the statutory time limit has expired is unwarranted.

As has been stated numerous times before, DPS does not get the CHL application fee; it goes to the general fund. Also, the 15,000 to 17,000 applications a month are not all new applications ($140). Many are renewals ($70), many get the 50% reduction in fees and some are free.

Chas.
There is no way I will have my plastic by the 28th of this month, Im still waiting for DPS to send my letter so I can make an appointment to have my fingerprints done.

Just to show how much money they are making lets say that 15k people only paid the $70 app fee, that is still over 1 million bucks a month. It does not matter if it goes into a general fund, with any government service making that kind of bank they should have much better customer service. It should not take 5 weeks just to get a email reply when their website says 24-72hrs to get said reply. It should not take 30mins on hold just to talk to a real person or DPS no longer accepting calls 3hrs before they close.

I mean no disrespect to you Cotton or DPS in anyway, it is just very frustrating the lack of customer service that DPS has along with the ridiculous wait times just to get a update. Remember how you felt when it took 6-11 months to get your rewal plastic in the mail and how you were going to go as far as a class action lawsuit? We feel the same way about getting a update.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

jaybeau
Banned

Post by jaybeau »

The statute allows 60 days to complete an application, even though their average is much shorter. Contacting a Representative or Senator before the statutory time limit has expired is unwarranted.

Chas.
Not sure where you're getting your completely inaccurate information from or how outdated it is, but I know myself and 4 others who have done every prerequisite outlined by DPS for obtaining a CHL and we all have heard nothing from DPS regarding our status. We have tried every channel available. Thankfully our State Rep is assisting in this manner.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

jaybeau wrote:
The statute allows 60 days to complete an application, even though their average is much shorter. Contacting a Representative or Senator before the statutory time limit has expired is unwarranted.

Chas.
Not sure where you're getting your completely inaccurate information from or how outdated it is, but I know myself and 4 others who have done every prerequisite outlined by DPS for obtaining a CHL and we all have heard nothing from DPS regarding our status. We have tried every channel available. Thankfully our State Rep is assisting in this manner.
Okay sport, point out everything that's inaccurate or outdated.

Chas.

jaybeau
Banned

Post by jaybeau »

You keep inaccurately stating that DPS is turning around CHL's in a 30-35 day range. Once I confirm the facts on our call today with our State Reps office I will state them on this board. I do not and will not ever convey inaccurate or unconfirmed facts with the hard working, law abiding folks who are using this board for information regarding the status of our CHL's.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

jaybeau wrote:You keep inaccurately stating that DPS is turning around CHL's in a 30-35 day range. Once I confirm the facts on our call today with our State Reps office I will state them on this board. I do not and will not ever convey inaccurate or unconfirmed facts with the hard working, law abiding folks who are using this board for information regarding the status of our CHL's.
I notice you didn't quote my last post and for good reason. Nothing in it was inaccurate or outdated. Even in this post, you strongly suggest I'm lying, though you are careful not to use that term. Do it once more, and you're gone.

I haven't said DPS is turning around all licenses in 30-34 days. I clearly stated that I was provided this information in a teleconference with DPS and other persons. These statistics are easily verified, so I seriously doubt they would have made a false claim with the people who were on that conference call.

Choose your words far more carefully or leave.
Chas.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: The statute allows 60 days to complete an application

Can you further explain complete an application? Does that mean they have 60 days to get me into the system or 60 days to complete the entire process to either approve or deny my CHL? Other words does the statute mean they are supposed to have my plastic to me in 60 days?
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

nightmare69 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: The statute allows 60 days to complete an application

Can you further explain complete an application? Does that mean they have 60 days to get me into the system or 60 days to complete the entire process to either approve or deny my CHL? Other words does the statute mean they are supposed to have my plastic to me in 60 days?
The code requires the DPS to send your CHL to you within 60 days (new; 45 days for renewal) from the date DPS received a complete application package. The date they enter it into the system is not relevant. A "complete application package" is one that is not missing any required information or documents.

Chas.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
The code requires the DPS to send your CHL to you within 60 days (new; 45 days for renewal) from the date DPS received a complete application package. The date they enter it into the system is not relevant. A "complete application package" is one that is not missing any required information or documents.

Chas.
Thanks for the fast response. Does it apply to mail in applications? Cause that is what I did, mailed in app and all other required information(expect fingerprints)in at once.

EDIT: Since I have to wait for DPS to send a letter to schedule a appointment to get my fingerprints done I doubt this applies to me. If it does then they have 24 days to have my plastic mailed, they better kick it in gear if thats the case.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

LagunaBum
Posts in topic: 2

60 days tomorrow

Post by LagunaBum »

DPS has had my application and required forms for 59 days. I have been in Background check under review for 34 days. I've sent emails and called without any response.
Application mailed 2/5/13
DPS Received 2/7/13
Background check under review 2/28/13
Background Check complete 4/4/13
Manufacturing 4/5/13
Mailed 4/08/13
Plastic in hand 4/13/13

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: 60 days tomorrow

LagunaBum wrote:DPS has had my application and required forms for 59 days. I have been in Background check under review for 34 days. I've sent emails and called without any response.
Why would you contact DPS before the 60 statutory time limit has expired?

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

nightmare69 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Thanks for the fast response. Does it apply to mail in applications? Cause that is what I did, mailed in app and all other required information(expect fingerprints)in at once.

EDIT: Since I have to wait for DPS to send a letter to schedule a appointment to get my fingerprints done I doubt this applies to me. If it does then they have 24 days to have my plastic mailed, they better kick it in gear if thats the case.
Yes, it applies to all applications.

Chas.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I will keep the board informed and see if they have my plastic mailed within the 60 day deadline. Once I get my letter to get my fingerprints done Im going to schedule the first available appointment. Just checked my status online and still getting the *Error no information found* message.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”