RE: What would you do if you saw his gun?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jayinsat
Posts in topic: 7

Re: RE: What would you do if you saw his gun?

Post by jayinsat »

I guess I would have to say I am poisoned by the anti-gun rhetoric. I just can't get to the point where I feel comfortable enough to drop my guard enough to not question the unknown person in my home who reveals a weapon, intentionally or not. Yes, any object can be a weapon but a gun IS a weapon. It's the only purpose for it. You don't use it as a hammer. If in my home, you accidentally reveal, I want you to make me feel comfortable to remain armed. Am I infringing on your right? Not all all! You can refuse to service me just as I can refuse to do business with you. I do see your perspective but I feel it more prudent to err on the side of caution.

To each his own though.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

ShepherdTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ShepherdTX »

If I saw someone I invited into my house exposing, I would be more inclined to strike up a conversation than tell him to disarm or check him for a CHL. Hey I see you're carrying, what is it? How long have you been carrying? How well does it shoot?

Though obviously not foolproof, how they react to casual questions could give a fairly reasonable profile if they are CHL or up to trouble. Also during all this I would be looking at other clues like if they were wearing a good holster or going Mexican carry. The latter would make me extremely wary to be honest...

I always carry even at home so I would simply position myself accordingly while bringing up the subject. Actually on reflection, I should position myself accordingly even if I don't see anything....

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasCajun »

I'm always watchful & wary of service people in my house. If one accidentally exposes while on MY clock, you better believe I'm asking about a CHL. And if they can't or won't produce a valid CHL, the call is immediately over & they will be asked to leave immediately. If they refuse to leave, I'll call the cops. And their next move will determine if I draw my gun or not. At that point I cannot satisfy the question of whether or not they're one of the good guys. And in MY house, the only benefit of doubt is when I ask to see the CHL. My house, my rules.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Wes
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Wes »

Treating someone like they are guilty of a crime for accidental exposure is a bit over reactive. Definitely an act I would expect from the antis but not what I would expect from anyone on this forum with a chl. Though the biggest proponents of gun control sometimes still think they are better than everyone else, so not sure why I'm surprised. If someone were to accidentally expose a holstered weapon in my house, I would simply point out the fact that they did and probably start talkin shop. We can not feed the fear of a gun, it does nothing to help our cause. It's not illegal, why treat it as such? Even in your home, how is it threatening? Anything used to justify the thought that it is IMO would be feeding right in to their hands. YMMV but that's my opinion.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

stevie_d_64 wrote:<SNIP>

If they did produce, or verify they had a CHL, I would not have a problem with it then...but I would have to ask..."Does the carrying of a weapon on you in a persons home while you are working help you??? I would think it would hurt you rolling around on the floor, through crawl spaces, getting hung up on stuff in tight placees...etc etc etc...

I just don't see this as a thing that happens very much in the real world...
Once upon a time I was under my house wedged up under a floor joist with no where to go when I was confronted by a HUGE opossum bearing its teeth at me. Though it turned out somewhat smaller than it looked under the house, I do not go under there anymore without a gun. I have also encountered "things" in attics. All of that coupled with having call to visit houses that were generally unsettling, I can see where carrying that particular tool might help.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasCajun »

Wes wrote:Treating someone like they are guilty of a crime for accidental exposure is a bit over reactive. Definitely an act I would expect from the antis but not what I would expect from anyone on this forum with a chl. Though the biggest proponents of gun control sometimes still think they are better than everyone else, so not sure why I'm surprised. If someone were to accidentally expose a holstered weapon in my house, I would simply point out the fact that they did and probably start talkin shop. We can not feed the fear of a gun, it does nothing to help our cause. It's not illegal, why treat it as such? Even in your home, how is it threatening? Anything used to justify the thought that it is IMO would be feeding right in to their hands. YMMV but that's my opinion.
I didn't get my CHL as a political statement. I did it to protect me & my family. Walking into my house with a concealed handgun & no license IS breaking the law - therefore making the person a criminal by definition. This is the way that the current law is structured, like it or not. I'm not going to sit by & let a potentially bad situation unfold in MY house if I can do something to prevent it. I don't have a fear of guns, I'm just not willing to cede any tactical ground to a potential BG.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

handog

Post by handog »

I'd say if he were pulling cable to your TV its safe to assume he's not there to rob you. The fact that he has a CW..well, not well concealed. Says he is as concerned about you as you are about him. As far as the lic. He has one. The 2nd amendment. No worries!

:tiphat:

Choctaw

Post by Choctaw »

If a repairman is in my house, I'm always close by and watching/visiting with him. I'm armed as well...Who cares?

I will say this again, it's best to find your repairman through referrals. Better on many fronts. When this is done, you have very little to be concerned with about your safety or about the job.
35 days...mailbox to mailbox

TheDude

Post by TheDude »

glock27 wrote:if he carrys he is probably a shooting enthusiast as most of us here!

id strike up a conversation and make a new friend.
:iagree:

He is already in your home. I just don't see it going well either way. If he has one then its going to be a really awkward moment and if he doesn't that still doesn't mean he was going to harm you with his firearm. So what have you really accomplished. Plus if he does mean you harm then asking for his license hasn't changed that fact or stopped it. Are you going to let him know you are armed in case he doesn't have one and does mean you harm. You going to prep your draw so you have the upper hand or just try and react and outdraw him if goes for his. Because if he intends to use the gun on you then he could just hand you something similar to a CHL like a driver's license and while you are busy realizing its not real he draws his weapon.

I am assuming if there is a repair man in your home then you called him. He didn't just show up unannounced, enter your home, and then you notice his firearm. That would be a lot more concerning but then why did you let him in? I understand that one situation is that you could have called a repairman from a listing somewhere and it was listed by a bad guy to gain entry into people's homes. If it was an independent repair service like that I may change the way I react. However, if he is from a legit company (DirectTV, Geek Squad, etc.) then there is a record that he was there with the company you called. Not the ideal situation for someone who is trying to rob or harm you. Someone else mentioned causing a panic response. What if he does not have a CHL because he is Ex-Con who is close to his third strike? (I know Felons shouldn't have a gun but like that has ever stopped them) What if he didn't mean you harm but now decides to since you caught him carrying illegally and is afraid you are now going to "ruin" his life by reporting him to the police or his employment? Just introducing some variables! :evil2:

Wes
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Wes »

:iagree:
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

flechero

Post by flechero »

I don't get why anyone here would have such a dramatic reaction to a gun in a holster. There is an equal chance that you have been made before and just weren't told. Chances are very good that if he had ill intent, he would "make his move" long before putting in the time and work to fix your ____.

Unless you are an on duty LEO who happens to be meeting the repairman on the clock at home- I don't know that "we" have the right/authority to demand a CHL be produced? If you demand someone show you their card and they say no thank you and start to leave the house and you draw on them- you'll probably be in serious trouble.

Just my $0.02 :tiphat:

geoelectro

Post by geoelectro »

I'm one of those repair persons that carries into homes and churches to do my job. When I carry I am very congenial. I " disarm" folks with conversation. Typically my work doesn't cause me to worry about un-concealing but there are certain jobs that can. I look those over before going in and decide whether or not to carry on that job. I service in schools as well which of course is off limits.

If I did accidentally un-conceal and it was brought up I would of course be embarrassed and happy to comply with the home owners wishes.

Geo
Glock 19
Taurus PT 917c

NRA Member
CHL Holder

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”