CHL Shotgun question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

o b juan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CHL Shotgun question

Post by o b juan »

Anyone legal to own a long gun can.
"It must be unloaded and in a locked container or in a locked gun rack. It is covered in the GFZA".

Where in TEXAS Law did you find That Ber??
And what in the world is GHZA?o
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

donkey

Post by donkey »

o b juan wrote:Anyone legal to own a long gun can.
"It must be unloaded and in a locked container or in a locked gun rack. It is covered in the GFZA".

GFZA=Gun Free Zone Act

GFZA is a federal law:
The Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990 (18 U.S.C. § 922(q)) states:
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is— (I) not loaded; and (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.
(3) (A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), it shall be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the person knows is a school zone. (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the discharge of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) as part of a program approved by a school in the school zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;
(iii) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in a school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual; or
(iv) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity.
(4) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as preempting or preventing a State or local government from enacting a statute establishing gun free school zones as provided in this subsection.
Section B(ii) exempts CHL holders carrying handguns. As it has been explained to me that exemption does not extend to long guns as the state only licenses you to carry a handgun. Thus to possess a shotgun on school property you would need to fall under a different exemption such as B(iii) which requires the gun be not loaded and locked in a container or gun rack.

RX8er
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RX8er »

o b juan wrote:Anyone legal to own a long gun can.

Donkey beat me to it and he nailed it.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

tommyg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tommyg »

Somebody broke into my car all they got was a small radio.
The radio was worth less than the window they broke to get it.

I would strongly advise not leaving any type of gun in an unattended vehicle
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

tommyg wrote:Somebody broke into my car all they got was a small radio.

There are more guns stolen from homes than cars. Would you recommend not storing guns inside your home?
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Av8rtx

Post by Av8rtx »

Break ins do occur, thieves aren't always bright. A pickup of mine was broken into-they ripped the $20 Walmart stereo out of the dash but left $300 in hand tools on the floorboard.
A shotgun locked in the trunk is preferable to plain sight. Most vehicle burglaries are opportunistic and based on perceived payoff-testing door locks and "window shopping" for loose change, electronics, packages or whatever. Breaking into trunks does occur but less frequent I think.

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

"Anyone legal to own a long gun can. It must be unloaded and in a locked container or in a locked gun rack. It is covered in the GFZA."

Well BER and donkey I didnt know we were talking about schools ." Federal Law not Texas Law."
I see no restrictiuns on shotguns and rifles in vehicle in the state of Texas.. Did I miss something in the posts?
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

Does the GFSZ act apply only to school property, or is it within 1000 feet of a school property?

As in what if I'm driving past a school on the street. Would one be in violation?
TSRA Life Memeber

donkey

Post by donkey »

eureka40 wrote:Does the GFSZ act apply only to school property, or is it within 1000 feet of a school property?

As in what if I'm driving past a school on the street. Would one be in violation?
The GFZA applies to school property and all public property within 1000 feet of the school (Private property is exempt due to B(i) in the quote in my previous post). If you have a CHL then the GFZA doesn't apply to you in regards to handguns. If you do not have a CHL or have a long gun and drive within 1000 feet of a school then you are in violation unless you meet one of the listed exemptions (gun unloaded and locked up is one exemption). That being said it is pretty rare for someone to be charge with a violation. It tends to be an add on charge, but it is still the law.
o b juan wrote:"Anyone legal to own a long gun can. It must be unloaded and in a locked container or in a locked gun rack. It is covered in the GFZA."

Well BER and donkey I didnt know we were talking about schools ." Federal Law not Texas Law."
I see no restrictiuns on shotguns and rifles in vehicle in the state of Texas.. Did I miss something in the posts?
The GFZA was brought up in response to someone asking about keeping a shotgun in a vehicle in a school parking. State law does not prevent you from doing this; however as RX8er correctly pointed out, federal law does apply to school property and school zones. While federal agencies do not tend to be very aggressive in enforcing that particular law it is still possible to be charged with violating it.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Parked on the street openly, I guess so.

Police officer friends advised us here to not lock our cars, if they were parked in the driveway, in front of the house etc. Leave them unlocked, and put a Viper alarm system in. Then when the alarm goes off, you grab your pistol, run outside and shoot 'em.

This worked out pretty well for the few who got the chance to try it. I kept my cars unlocked and alarmed for years, helping make Darrel Issa wealthy, never was hit, but my former partner was. He woke up to the sound of his truck alarm going off, grabbed his pistol and headed out but, by the time he got there, the perp was way down the road, leaving behind a fairly neat set of burglar tools. At least the windows weren't broken. :clapping:
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

JALLEN wrote:

Parked on the street openly, I guess so.

Police officer friends advised us here to not lock our cars, if they were parked in the driveway, in front of the house etc. Leave them unlocked, and put a Viper alarm system in. Then when the alarm goes off, you grab your pistol, run outside and shoot 'em.

This worked out pretty well for the few who got the chance to try it. I kept my cars unlocked and alarmed for years, helping make Darrel Issa wealthy, never was hit, but my former partner was. He woke up to the sound of his truck alarm going off, grabbed his pistol and headed out but, by the time he got there, the perp was way down the road, leaving behind a fairly neat set of burglar tools. At least the windows weren't broken. :clapping:
One of the issues here in Texas is burglary of a motor vehicle is just a Misdemeanor. It would be a tough sell to try and prove the person you shot was trying to advance the charge to theft if you have nothing in your car or they haven't tried jimmying the ignition.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Mel

Post by Mel »

FishInTx wrote:I used to keep a gun in my vehicle but once I put the NRA stickers on the window the gun came out of it. If somebody was looking to break into a vehicle I figured they would target mine. Shotgun in the trunk is legal.
The NRA sticker make your vehicle a target. The perp doesn't know that you have taken the guns out. It just tells them that you probably own guns, and there's a good chance that there's one in the vehicle.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Mel wrote:
FishInTx wrote:I used to keep a gun in my vehicle but once I put the NRA stickers on the window the gun came out of it. If somebody was looking to break into a vehicle I figured they would target mine. Shotgun in the trunk is legal.
The NRA sticker make your vehicle a target. The perp doesn't know that you have taken the guns out. It just tells them that you probably own guns, and there's a good chance that there's one in the vehicle.
So does this mean that if I put an obama sticker on my cars no one will ever break into it?

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

tbrown wrote:
AEA wrote:There is a very good chance that your vehicle will be broken into and your shotgun will be stolen. Fairly soon........I would guess it would not last very long in your vehicle.
Are car burglars using gun sniffing dogs to pick their targets now? :headscratch
Here in Houston, they are using the "shotgun" approach... "rlol"

Seriously, a few months back about 60 vehicles parked at the airport were broken into. My pickup was one of them. Every storage compartment had been searched and my stuff was scattered all over the inside of my vehicle. Nothing was missing (GPS, Radio, CD's all still there). The police told me that most of the vehicles hit were pickups and SUVs and the perps were most likely looking for guns. Don't know if it contributed but I have a Ducks Unlimited sticker on the back window.

I assume the perps knew that most folks wouldn't be carrying into the airport and just went "shopping".

I tried to get the parking company to pay for the damages but they stood on the "park at your own risk" small print on the back of the parking stub.

The thing that made me so mad I could have spit bullets happened while I was reviewing the police report with the responding LEO. Guy from the parking company actually drove by and asked me to move so he could video my license number. I asked him if there was any chance he had a picture of the thug who broke into my vehicle on that thing and then advised him he should move on and not bother me any more. :mad5 The LEO was laughing under his breath and said he was surprised at how calm I was in my response. He thought he was going to have to pull me off the guy when he first asked.

Anyway, damage to me was 2 punched locks (yeah, the perps punched 'em both because they couldn't get the first one to open for them). Cost me $800 bucks to fix...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

anygunanywhere wrote:
So does this mean that if I put an obama sticker on my cars no one will ever break into it?

Anygunanywhere
Depending on where you park it, it might get a rock through the window..... "rlol"
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”