1st holster

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
skipsmith
Posts in topic: 3

1st holster

Post by skipsmith »

Went and purchased a cheap holster while waiting for chl to arrive.

I have a Ruger SR9C and have to say first time to strap on IWB holster and have to say it was rather uncomfortable. Not sure how you would wear it at a restaurant sitting down at a table.

I am a big frame Guy and it seems okay just walking around, but if you have to sit down...it is uncomfortable and would seem to print easy.

I moved it to 4 or 5 o'clock on the belt and that was somewhat better.

Any advice? My first thought is I should have bought a 380 pocket pistol... not sure.

Skip

Longhorn-breeder
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 1st holster

Post by Longhorn-breeder »

Move it until you find the right spot. It will get better with time
Longhorn-breeder
Central TX

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

While it is mild transition, I cannot stress more than many have stated in other threads. A good belt and holster make all the difference in the world. I am not a large person, very short waisted, and carry a M&P 9C IWB very comfortably. I had no idea how much difference a good belt made until I got to try one. Now i have a couple and Love my Mtac by Comptac! Keep trying different locations on your belt, try different holsters if you get a chance. Good luck!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

strider67

Post by strider67 »

I am posting this with a Sig P229 .40 in an IWB Shielded Holster at 3 o'clock while I wait here inside our church for our daughter. I'm average size...as stated, with time and the right belt and holster, you'll never even feel it anymore... :thumbs2:
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

Topic author
skipsmith

Post by skipsmith »

I have read the forum, but does a good belt make that big a difference?

Skip

lrpettit

Post by lrpettit »

skipsmith wrote:I have read the forum, but does a good belt make that big a difference?

Skip
Yes!!!!! :thumbs2:
Opinions are my own, commonly worthless, and should not be relied upon. I am not a lawyer.
LTC Holder

FishInTx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FishInTx »

skipsmith wrote:I have read the forum, but does a good belt make that big a difference?

Skip

Yes

Topic author
skipsmith

Post by skipsmith »

Comp tac makes a kydex belt....

What should I look for? Kydex that good in a belt or just a good leather one.

Skip

FishInTx

Post by FishInTx »

I got a no frills leather gunbelt. Many makers and designs out there. I got a Bullbelt from Daltech. Sturdy well made 1/4 inch thick leather belt. Fits well and doesn't sag at all, none. It helps distribute the weight of the gun and keeps it closer to the body to help reduce printing. A gunbelt should have been one of my first purchases. I'm still new to CCW.

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

FishInTx wrote:

Skip

Yes
X3
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

A good gun belt is a MUST. You'll also need a decent holster. It will also take a bit of experimentation to find the sweet spot in terms of exact position.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

skipsmith wrote:Comp tac makes a kydex belt....

What should I look for? Kydex that good in a belt or just a good leather one.

Skip

I like my kydex lined belt, and I got it with the velcro on the inside to hold my Crossbreed Supertuck holster.

Remember, carrying a firearm is comforting, not comfortable, but with the right combination of belt and holster, you can get a lot more comfortable. I carry a full size SigSauer P2022 with 17 round magazine (it has a +2 extension), and it's easy for me to carry everywhere, everyday - tucked or untucked.

If you're a big guy (like me), get the tapered belt from CompTac. It's a lot more comfortable in the front when sitting down.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I am a large man and had the same problems several yaers ago. As stated above, a good gun belt and holster will do wonders. If you have to choose due to funds, I would go with the belt as you already have a holster.

The largest carry weapon that I use is my full size XD45, IWB in a Don Hume holster with a Don Hume gun belt. I also wear shirts that are (or were) 1 size larger. At times, there may be a slight printing but not enough to worry as I pass it off as my phone. I have other rigs for different guns (most of which are 1911's) but the XD is the largest.

Oh yeah, be sure to wear an under shirt to protect your skin as well as keeping sweat away from your weapon and holster.

Also, keep in mind that the carrying of a weapon is ment to be comforting, not comfotable. But there are options that make it more comfortable.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

RowdyR

Post by RowdyR »

This is my first comment but was browsing the forum, saw this question, and had to sign up...I'm awaiting plastic (should be soon) but had browsed holsters for a LONG time before I bought. My Chl instructor said a GOOD QUALITY holster, is almost as important as the firearm itself....so after ALOT of research, ordered a crossbreed supertuck and belt. I COULD NOT BE MORE SATISFIED!!! I've been wearing it around the house and in my truck, to break it in. I travel 6hrs to work in west tx, and feel NO discomfort at the end of the drive! I carry at 4o'clock...did I mention I carry the Glock 35!? I literally forgot I had it on the other day...the ONLY occasional discomfort is when driving, If I forget to loosen the belt a hole, it digs into my gut...but I'm fat and all belts do that. I'm not a spokes person for crossbreed, but felt compelled to share...white hat holsters makes a similar holster, a bit cheaper and the ONLY reason I didn't get it, is because I didn't find it till I had bought the CB....

jetpilot

Post by jetpilot »

I bought a White Hat Max Tuck. Couldn't be more pleased with holster. It's like it is not even there!

I also just use a heavy Ariat belt. No need to buy a "gun belt."

Return to “New to CHL?”