Disappointing 1st time at the range with Kimber Ultra Carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Stupid
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Stupid »

I shot a lot of Blazer Brass out of my UC II. No problem.
Lumberjack98 wrote:I have heard of and seen multiple issues with Blazer Brass. Quit using it and get some Winchester White Box.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flintknapper »

Lumberjack98 wrote:I have heard of and seen multiple issues with Blazer Brass. Quit using it and get some Winchester White Box.

+1 on the WWB.

I just put 200 rounds of WWB through my daughters new Para Carry 9 with no bobbles/malfunctions at all.

Then, after a quick lubing of the slide I decided to see how it would group.

10 rounds into 1" (outside to outside) at 7 yds. (from rest)....and then 10 rounds into 3-1/16" (out to out) from 15 yds. (from rest). Not too bad for a three inch gun... first time out.

Double action trigger takes a little getting used to, and there is not much sight radius to work with (especially with my old eyes). No reason why a 3" gun can't "run right" though. Of course I did not take it right from the box and just start shooting it.

As I have posted before, I consider that a waste of ammunition. EVERY new pistol of mine gets a fluff and buff before it is shot. On the Para, very little was needed (probably nothing was really necessary), but it got the normal jewelers rouge on slide rails, polish breech face, polish barrel ramp and chamber, tune and polish mags., check extractor for tune.

Doesn't take much time, doesn't waste ammo, and lets you look to other areas if there is a problem at the range.

Just my .02 on "breaking in" a new gun. Do it at home!
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

The whole "break-in" period is truly amazing to me. If a $1000 carry pistol needs some break-in period to work properly, it should have been done by the manufacturer so that once it's out of the box, it works.

For a $1000 gun, it needs to work right out of the box like a Glock!
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveT
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DaveT »

Mike,

No 'terminology' comments here, I'll just address what you posted about.

I had a Kimber Tactical Ultra II and had a lot of jams, stovepipes and FTF's during the first 500 rounds. I was also using the less expensive Blazer brass.

Called Dennis at the Kimber Custom Shop. He said to quit using Blazer Brass, go through another couple hundred rounds and call him back. Less problems with other brass, including WWB, so I called him back. He said send it to him, I did.

I received the gun back in about 10 days, was amazed at all they had done for free. The older external extractor slide had been replaced with the newer version internal extractor slide, the barrel had been replaced, the feed ramp polished, and the night sights replaced.

Next couple of trips to the range were flawless. So, confident that I was not passing on a dud to anyone else, I promptly traded it off for two Glocks that I never have to worry about being reliable.

Is your Ultra Carry II an internal or external extractor version ? That seems to be the culprit. If it is the external extractor version, Kimber will fix it up right for nothing, just call Dennis at the custom Shop.

Also, Speer has a Gold Dot ammo that is made especially for the short barrelled 45's. Seems to work a lot better than regular 45 ammo that is used in full sized models.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Stupid wrote:The whole "break-in" period is truly amazing to me. If a $1000 carry pistol needs some break-in period to work properly, it should have been done by the manufacturer so that once it's out of the box, it works.

For a $1000 gun, it needs to work right out of the box like a Glock!

These days with CNC machining and repeatable tolerances....it is not unreasonable to expect a pistol to function right out of the box. I make no argument there.

Most pistols (of quality) do this pretty well, but the fact remains: A pistol is a fairly complicated machine/tool (especially semi-autos). If you are ever going to experience a problem with it, it will most likely happen when it is new.

I know its difficult for most of us to accept the idea that: We just spent $$$$$$ on so and so pistol, its brand new, and the manufacturer might not have it running 100% out of the box.

Well folks, its not a new vehicle (that starts to wear out the minute you drive it off the lot). A good firearm is actually "wearing in" before it becomes reliable (and usually more accurate). A new firearm is more analogous to a baseball mitt. A new one will work O.K., but no one expects it to be really good until you've used it some.

I just prefer to help mine along, it might have shot just fine without my tinkering with it, I'll never know...because I never shoot one right out of the box. I also never get disappointed.

I'm weird I know! :smile:
Last edited by flintknapper on Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

You do know that my comment about 100% right out of the box is actually trying to help the both us and the manuf.

Returned products generate huge cost to any company. Not only tangible cost of warranty, but also lose of repution and potential customers. My motto has always been if it can be fixed, it should have been made right from the begining.

As consumers, we should return as many products as possible, a way to force the company to pay more attention to their product quality.

romcneil

Re: Disappointing 1st time at the range with Kimber Ultra Ca

Post by romcneil »

Mike from Texas wrote: I don't know if it would have made a difference but I did not strip and clean it before taking to the range. I won't get terribly concerned until I get at least 500 rounds through it but I hope it gets better soon. BTW, this was shooting 230 grain ball ammo through it. I haven't even tried any hollow points or other ammo. :sad: :sad:
MIke:

Even if the pistol appears to be lubricated when received from the factory, the first thing you should do is CLEAN and lube it. Metal shavings and grinding dust in the works will gum up the best of machine tools. I do not remember if either of my Kimbers was factory fired, but if they are they are not typically cleaned. My Kimber UC was field stripped, cleaned, and lubed with a minimum of quality gun grease before firing. I have also cleaned it after the first range session, and about every 1000 rounds since. It performed flawlessly the first time I fired it and every attempt since - maybe 2500 rounds total of quality JHP rounds and lead SWC reloads - using the factory Kimber magazines..

Bob

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Stupid wrote:You do know that my comment about 100% right out of the box is actually trying to help the both us and the manuf.

Returned products generate huge cost to any company. Not only tangible cost of warranty, but also lose of repution and potential customers. My motto has always been if it can be fixed, it should have been made right from the begining.

As consumers, we should return as many products as possible, a way to force the company to pay more attention to their product quality.

Very good points.

Again, I am not in disagreement....as concerns the "Principle".

Just offering my point of view and a few suggestions to help avoid having to send a pistol back.

Even though I take a slightly different position (am willing to accept the idea of a "break in" period), there is a "high end" to everything, Kel-Tec found that out....but I see they are still in business despite not having mine.

Actually, I think that all major gun manufacturers should have women as quality control engineers. Men seem to be more willing to tinker with something....or fix it when it doesn't work. Women will immediately get rid of the offending object and replace it with something that does!

It could be....that we have brought this "break in" period upon ourselves.

My vote is for more women in the gun industry. We'd get a better product at a better price....and might even get some type of Value-Pack, who knows.

G.C.Montgomery

Re: Disappointing 1st time at the range with Kimber Ultra Ca

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

romcneil wrote:Even if the pistol appears to be lubricated when received from the factory, the first thing you should do is CLEAN and lube it. Metal shavings and grinding dust in the works will gum up the best of machine tools. I do not remember if either of my Kimbers was factory fired, but if they are they are not typically cleaned...
+1 to that...Even Glock advises new pistol owners to clean and lubricate their pistols before firing them for the first time. AFAIK, every manufacture test fires their guns at least once before the guns leave the factory and I have yet to see one that was cleaned afterward.

While I understand folks' comments about the break-in period, keep in mind that guns are no different from other machinery. As an example, every time you buy a new car or light truck, there is a break in period. Should the manufacturers drive the car for 1500 miles to seat and condition all the bearings and seals before shipping it to the dealer? How many of us would buy a car as "new" with 1500 miles on it? Guns are no different and a break-in period is normal.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

Topic author
Mike from Texas
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Mike from Texas »

DaveT mine is the internal extractor model. As far as shooting tight out of the box, my $500 Springfield XD will do that, but it is still nowhere near the quality of my Kimber. Tolerances are nowhere near as tight and components are nowhere near as stout. Just the difference in the barrels is amazing to me.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

fadlan12
Posts in topic: 3

Post by fadlan12 »

gigag04 wrote:
fadlan12 wrote:I bought my Kimber UC from a member on this forum, It has been reliable but it was broken in by the time I got it. It could use a trigger job but that does not effect functionality. Another friend had one and it was broken in or gone over at a smith and shot nicely. Several hundred rounds really polish up the feedramp and break it in.

Its a good gun.
You're carrying my old one right? If so, that one was a great shooter.
Yes I love that gun, it def shoots better than me. It has turned me into a 1911 and .45 junkie. I have a springfield 5' that has a very nice trigger. But for my main CC gun I am afraid of having too light a trigger.

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 8

Post by BrassMonkey »

I never understood this line of thinking. A CC gun's trigger is almost never exposed, except for placing it in and out of it's carry device. This seems like no greater risk than taking one which is loaded out of a lock box, or playing with them at the range. Is there some statistic or practice I am not aware of that impacts this issue? Is there something I amnot considering in my own mind with this?

fadlan12 wrote:But for my main CC gun I am afraid of having too light a trigger.
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

fadlan12
Posts in topic: 3

Post by fadlan12 »

BM: its not that you have more risk of AD its that you have shorter distance to "change your mind" in other words if the presentation is enough to stop the attack I would prefer not having a hair trigger. Also a prosecutor would use that to make it look pre-meditated or at least show intention to do harm.

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbirds1210 »

A very light trigger on a carry pistol is very unforgiving if a shirt tail gets into the holster.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 8

Post by BrassMonkey »

Never thought about the prosecutor thing, but I will say that my finger does not enter the trigger guard unless I am going to squeeze. Once my finger starts moving, I am committed. Different strokes I suppose.... I am still young most would say, but I guess I am still old school... "Do not touch the trigger unless you want to make noise..."
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”