CHL Arrest record/history

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
t wayne
Posts in topic: 1

CHL Arrest record/history

Post by t wayne »

Back in the 70's I got a DWI and PI in my youth. In the mid 80's I qualified for several Class 3 stamps with the background checks coming back "no arrest records found". I still have the letter from the county Sheriff stating no arrest record was shown in the county of the arrests. The DWI resulted in deferred adjudication and the PI all I did was pay a fine. My question is can I show no arrests on my application?

RX8er

Re: CHL Arrest record/history

Post by RX8er »

It is always better to disclose them and they not find anything than not and now you are forever disqualified because you forgot. It could be that your old record was not digitized for your class iii and now they are.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

realjd

Post by realjd »

Better to out it down and be safe

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

if they were juvenile convictions and arrests no you do not have to list them as juvenile records are closed and considered to be non convictions

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

PI is a class C and usually won't show up on a CCH. However, when asked If you've been arrested on the application, you shouldn't lie. It's your job to answer the question honestly, and theirs to track down the info.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

saltydog452

Post by saltydog452 »

There are data bases that compile public records. Why not do the 'search' and see what is out there? Understand that there there are different depths to an inquiry.

For a while, I was concerned with a questionable arrest where the prosecuting authority chose not to proceed. The arrest was expunged. The history didn't disappear in smoke, and, no doubt there are tracks of that event somewhere in some basement archive. Yet, historically, it didn't happen.

As an agreeable soul, I listed the accusation (arrest) but could not provide court records regarding the disposition. Supposedly, it didn't happen. But, I did take the ride and was an overnight guest, a nice bail bondsman arranged my mid-morning exit, and the folks who were looking after my vehicle overnight returned it safe and sound. None of this was 'gratis' you understand.

If it truly didn't happen, then it was an expensive nightmare.

My suggestion is that there is a distinction with an accusation, (arrest), and a finding of Guilty. Why admit to something that, historically, didn't happen?

'luck to you.

salty

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

If you were arrested then you must show it along with a certified copy of the final disposition or a letter from the clerk say records could not be found. They may not "see"it but Murphy's Law says if you dont list it they will find it.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

blackdog8200

Post by blackdog8200 »

The DPS crystal ball used for background checks can see even "expunged" records if they want to.

MIP PI etc will show up when applying for a LEO job and even a medical license.

YMMV
Harris County
NRA Life Member 1986

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

saltydog452 wrote:My suggestion is that there is a distinction with an accusation, (arrest), and a finding of Guilty. Why admit to something that, historically, didn't happen?
Bad advice. Texas GC §411.174 is very clear.

Also see GC §411.172(a)(14).
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Skiprr wrote:
saltydog452 wrote:My suggestion is that there is a distinction with an accusation, (arrest), and a finding of Guilty. Why admit to something that, historically, didn't happen?
Bad advice. Texas GC §411.174 is very clear.

Also see GC §411.172(a)(14).
I agree. Disclose the arrest and include a letter from the county clerk saying no court records exist regarding it.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

USGLOBALASSETS

Post by USGLOBALASSETS »

JP171 wrote:if they were juvenile convictions and arrests no you do not have to list them as juvenile records are closed and considered to be non convictions
This incorrect. I got A call from DPS when I sent off for my CHL saying that I had been arrested but they could not see what for. I informed the lady that I had never been arrested and she said might be from when I was a minor. I assured her I had not been arresed as a minor either. She told me to go to the court house and pull my record and get a letter stating I had not been arrest. There ended being something on there from Highschool from a fight (got attacked by some gang members) and appeerntly it happened right before I moved schools to live with my mom. Mom payed 300.00 to settle the case (one of the gang members grandparent tried to sue me on behalf of there grand child who was such an angle). I had not been arrested and had no idea this took place. The court house gave me letter stateing no arrest was made and I sent it to DPS and CHL came in the mail. I say put everything because the might not see it but if they can they will want to know why it is not listed.

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

A cover up only makes you look guilty. If the PI and DWI won't disqualify you, do you really want to gamble DPS won't find the DWI in your driving record?
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”