2/3rds of U.S. weapons owners would 'defy' a federal gun ban

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

smtimelevi
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 2/3rds of U.S. weapons owners would 'defy' a federal gun

Post by smtimelevi »

punkndisorderly wrote:The majority may say they'll ignore it, but I have a feeling a "sizable minority" would be closer to the truth.

If it passes, they win.

Some, or most, will fall in line. Victory for them.
Some will bury them, which takes them out of use. Victory for them.
Some will keep them, have them stolen, not report them stolen and they'll be used in crimes so they can push for more draconian measures. Victory for them.
Some will use them for defense and wind up in jail. Victory for them.
Some will make too much noise and be made an example of. "See that crazy man shot at our heroic ATF agents"
Victory for them.
The remainder live looking over their shoulder the rest of their days. Victory for them.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer.

Some will make too much noise and be made an example of. "See that crazy man shot at our heroic ATF agents"-Enough of this an victory for us...

psijac

Post by psijac »

when you think its time your gun thats when you should be digging it up
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

psijac wrote:when you think its time to bury your gun, thats when you should be digging it up
fixed it for ya
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 2

Post by i8godzilla »

“If the federal government should overpass the just bounds of its authority and make a tyrannical use of its powers, the people, whose creature it is, must appeal to the standard they have formed, and take such measures to redress the injury done to the Constitution as the exigency may suggest and prudence justify."

--Alexander Hamilton
Federalist No. 33, January 3, 1788
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

QMCS

Post by QMCS »

Let's see....
Currently there are 53 Democratic Senators, 2 Independents Senators and 45 Republican Senators. Of which there are 20 currently held Democtatic seats up for re-election in 2014.

Ten of which are reported as very close races and possible wins by the Republicans, they are:
Mark Begich, Alaska
Mark Pryor, Arkansas
Mark Udell, Colorado
Tom Harkin, Iowa
Mary Landrieu, Louisiana
Al Frankenstein, Minnesota
Jeanne Shaheen, New Hampshire
Kay Hagen, North Carolina
Tim Johnson, South Dakota
Jay Rockerfeller, West Virginia

And the possibility of John Kerry's seat being open due to being nominated for Secetery of State.

Link:
http://usconservatives.about.com/od/cam ... n-2014.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taking these numbers into account, how do you think the vote on this bill will go? I see at least 6 Senators from states that are very pro-hunters/guns.

By my math, 53-6 (of the 10 up for re-election)=47 possible Senators voting for the bill. Then take the other side, 45+2+6=53 against the bill.

Even if it did somehow get past the Senate, do you believe the Republican Party will vote for it?

longhorn_92
Posts in topic: 5

Post by longhorn_92 »

QMCS wrote:Let's see....
Currently there are 53 Democratic Senators, 2 Independents Senators and 45 Republican Senators. Of which there are 20 currently held Democtatic seats up for re-election in 2014.

Ten of which are reported as very close races and possible wins by the Republicans, they are:
Mark Begich, Alaska
Mark Pryor, Arkansas
Mark Udell, Colorado
Tom Harkin, Iowa
Mary Landrieu, Louisiana

And the possibility of John Kerry's seat being open due to being nominated for Secetery of State.

Link:
http://usconservatives.about.com/od/cam ... n-2014.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taking these numbers into account, how do you think the vote on this bill will go? I see at least 6 Senators from states that are very pro-hunters/guns.

By my math, 53-6 (of the 10 up for re-election)=47 possible Senators voting for the bill. Then take the other side, 45+2+6=53 against the bill.

Even if it did somehow get past the Senate, do you believe the Republican Party will vote for it?
From what I have seen from the Republican party... I just don't know for sure.
Last edited by longhorn_92 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

QMCS wrote:Let's see....

Mark Begich, Alaska
Mark Pryor, Arkansas
Mark Udell, Colorado
Tom Harkin, Iowa
Mary Landrieu, Louisiana

Link:

It depends on what they are promised. Do not for one minute think that if the current Speaker could get reforms on Social Security, welfare, Medicare, Medicaid, etc. that he would not cave. I personally view him as a RINO. The problem with all 535 of them is that they are politicians not Statesmen!
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

QMCS

Post by QMCS »

i8godzilla wrote: It depends on what they are promised. Do not for one minute think that if the current Speaker could get reforms on Social Security, welfare, Medicare, Medicaid, etc. that he would not cave. I personally view him as a RINO. The problem with all 535 of them is that they are politicians not Statesmen!
I would also ask you to look at the number of politians that the NRA has endorsed, with lots of cash. Link: http://usconservatives.about.com/od/cam ... n-2014.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are the 2012 number only

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

AndyC wrote:
punkndisorderly wrote:The majority may say they'll ignore it, but I have a feeling a "sizable minority" would be closer to the truth.

If it passes, they win.

Some will keep them, have them stolen, not report them stolen and they'll be used in crimes so they can push for more draconian measures. Victory for them.
Some will make too much noise and be made an example of. "See that crazy man shot at our heroic ATF agents" Victory for them.
The remainder live looking over their shoulder the rest of their days. Victory for them.

And how many agents could they stand to lose before they call it a day? Victory for us.
“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been
like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest,
had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his
family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when
they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in
their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at
every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose
and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people
with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would
very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and,
notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to
a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no
awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything
that happened afterward.” ---Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn, political dissident and gulag prisoner in the Soviet Union

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 4

Post by baldeagle »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:Problem is, doesn't the judicial branch have to confer a ruling?
We, the people, rule this country, not the legislature, not the executive and not the judicial branches. They report to us. They are our servants.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

ummm, unless you live in NYC, then it's all upside down :evil2:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

baldeagle wrote:
Redneck_Buddha wrote:Problem is, doesn't the judicial branch have to confer a ruling?
We, the people, rule this country, not the legislature, not the executive and not the judicial branches. They report to us. They are our servants.
They sure are supposed to be, aren't they?

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I've got nothing to lose by breaking the law. If I live to go to jail, I get three square meals a day, free medical care, and i'm too old and fat to be willing to be anybody's "special friend." I'll shank the first person that tries. If I go to heaven defending my rights or my "virtue," I'm OK with that.

The government has no hold over me. My eternal future is assured, and so it is for the gun-banners. Before the Judgement Seat, it will suck to be them, because they are going straight to hades some day. Not me.

Anygunanywhere said it nicely the other day. "I'm with my brothers and sisters. I feel good." As MLK said, I've been to the mountain top, and I've seen the promised land. We may not all get there together, but we WILL get there. There WILL come a day when people like Diane Feinstein are so shunned and so shamed that they can do no more damage. I believe in this with all my heart, and I'm willing to pay whatever price that entails.
You are not alone, my friend. You are not alone.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

If it passes, they win.

Some will make too much noise and be made an example of. "See that crazy man shot at our heroic ATF agents" Victory for them.

Less than 10% of Americans fought in the Revolutionary War. We still won. If you don't want to participate, that's fine. God speed. We'll meet you in heaven if you get there. A life without freedom is no life at all.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”