Anyone know of a TX campus which allows carrying?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KD5NRH »

Geister wrote:
srothstein wrote:You might want to look at Tarleton State University. I cannot find their policy on line, but they sponsor a college rifle team so some students definitely have access to weapons.
I'd avoid Tarleton. I've had friends that went there and there was way too many altercations up there for a university. Basically seemed like high school all over again.
Huh? I've lived here most of my life, and have a job where I spend a lot of time listening to the scanner; the bars (off campus, of course) have a lot of fights, but the campus is pretty quiet compared to the ones in bigger cities. They're pretty good about dealing with anything that happens on campus quickly and effectively. The city and county also seem to be pretty good about calling Tarleton's cops for backup whenever students are involved in something off-campus so that the school ends up with a complete report.

As far as weapons, the administration is as anti-gun as any other college, and AFAIK, all the rifle team stuff is done at TacPro. I wouldn't be surprised if they were required to store the rifles off-campus.

Geister
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Geister »

Well, I was referring to the activities off of campus. A few years ago the criminal courts in Stephenville were backed up for months, almost years.

A lot of kids in my high school class went to Tarleton and out of that group, there were always incidents, mainly fistfights that were never reported to the police. It was like the kids I knew who went there wanted to maintain their high school status quo. Just seemed like there were more arguments and fights there than the other universities that my other classmates went to.

I just think if someone is picking a school with safety in mind, it would probably be a good idea to find one that has less incidents first before picking one that is gun friendly. But since the prohibition of guns in Texas classrooms in universal, the latter is moot.

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KD5NRH »

Geister wrote:Just seemed like there were more arguments and fights there than the other universities that my other classmates went to.

I just think if someone is picking a school with safety in mind, it would probably be a good idea to find one that has less incidents first
I've spent 22 years in Stephenville and 8 in Dallas. I've been in more not-reasonably-avoidable incidents in Dallas. The only physical altercation in Stephenville since about 9th grade was pretty minor. (For me, at least; I had a mild bruise, and his hand turned out to be broken when he sobered up enough to wonder why he couldn't make a fist anymore. Seems a haymaker isn't a good way to lead off a fight against a faster opponent.) I probably could've avoided that one pretty easily too, but I felt he really needed to teach himself that lesson.

The moral of the story is that, if you go looking for trouble, you'll find it anywhere. If you don't, it finds you a lot less often in some places.

Geister
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Geister »

That's true but I'm comparing the school with other like schools in Texas.

Will938
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Will938 »

gigag04 wrote:A&M's UPD told me I could carry anywhere outside, including parking garages, but not in a campus bldg (ie any on campus bldg).

This seems to be consistent with state law.
Yeah I got the same thing, I'm putting together a letter for them in a week or so if you want to submit one too.

Also, did you read the mail call today? I'm about to flip out, definately writing in on that one.

TEX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TEX »

Actually, I believe a CHL holder can carry at a school if they have the "authorization of the institution". See below. Although it is not clearly defined as to exactly who in the institution would have to give this authorization, I would gess a written letter from a Principal or Dean would cover it. From this, it would seem that CHL holders could protect themselves at college if the school would give them permission to do so. I had actually thought about asking the director of the school district where my children attend if I could get just such a letter, but I figured that not only would I be turned down flat , but that my children would be ostracized and the local police would be asked to investigate me and see if I was some kind of nut

PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED

(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1)on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”