Duty belt

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
HenryAKirk
Posts in topic: 3

Duty belt

Post by HenryAKirk »

On Friday I will have finished my level III security (armed rent-a-cop) training and will need a "Batman" belt for work to carry stuff like cuffs, gun, taser, OC spray, ect. I was wondering if any of the LEOs on the forum could lead me in the right direction. Leather or nylon? any brands to look at or avoid?

I appreciate any help I can get :tiphat:
:patriot: Everyone has been given a gift in life...And warriors have been given the gift of aggression.These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs Lt. Col. Dave Grossman :txflag:

texanjoker

Re: Duty belt

Post by texanjoker »

I prefer the nylon as it is lighter. I use the Bianchi patrol tek. It's a lot cheaper then leather (although I was issued leather). Before this set up, I had the Bianchi accumold in nylon. I don't see much difference aside from the price. I also use a http://www.backupbrace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as my back is jacked and I need all the support I can get. It really helps. For a holster we are issued the Blackhawk serpa. It works and is identical to the off duty rig I use. They are pretty light as well.

grumble
Posts in topic: 1

Post by grumble »

"I don't think I've ever seen a duty belt in snakeskin before"

[edited for content]
Just so y'all don't think I'm nuts, tj had a pic of his duty belt -with a big ol' snake.
Last edited by grumble on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who are my congressmen again? http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us

FL450

Post by FL450 »

http://www.looperlawenforcement.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has some great belts, duty and CC for reasonable prices.
I have ordered 3 belts from them and been happy
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

grumble wrote:"I don't think I've ever seen a duty belt in snakeskin before"

[edited for content]
Just so y'all don't think I'm nuts, tj had a pic of his duty belt -with a big ol' snake.

Topic author
HenryAKirk
Posts in topic: 3

Post by HenryAKirk »

SRO1911 Honestly I'm not sure how one would even measure to determine a size. I am kind of a big fat guy so I assume I would need a rather long belt like in the neighborhood of 50 in. or so. But if you too are "horizontally gifted" lets talk about spending some money my wife says I don't have.
:patriot: Everyone has been given a gift in life...And warriors have been given the gift of aggression.These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs Lt. Col. Dave Grossman :txflag:

TxSheepdog

Post by TxSheepdog »

HenryAKirk wrote:SRO1911 Honestly I'm not sure how one would even measure to determine a size. I am kind of a big fat guy so I assume I would need a rather long belt like in the neighborhood of 50 in. or so. But if you too are "horizontally gifted" lets talk about spending some money my wife says I don't have.
If that doesn't work out I have a Bianchi nylon belt that's new in big guys size. Just taking up space. I also have a 1911 holster for it, as well as a mag carrier.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Chris

Post by Chris »

I like leather. Nylon looks bad when it gets dirty. Leather can easily be polished.

Get a good inner belt, and use keepers. They could save your life.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I have to disagree with Chris. We run Nylon belts - uncle mike's I think - and I love them. We have the matching inner belt with the velcro and the duty belt has velcro lining the interior. THis takes much of the weight off the keepers, and keeps everything in place and sharp. Nylon may show dirt easier, yes, but it is easily fixed with a brush and light dab of black shoe cream. Not sure how hands on L3 guys get, but if my gear was leather, it would have to have been replaced a few times over. The nylon handles abraisons much better, doesn't reflect light, is lighter, less bulky, and cheaper.

Does your company not specify which "type" of gear you have to get? Most LE agencies dictate finish: nylon, leather, patent leather, or basketweave - even if they leave the individual component selection up to the officer. Again, all of ours is issued so..
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

packa45

Post by packa45 »

Based on where you are working... If you worked a lot of rough bars etc I would opt for "tactical" look of nylon and not have to worry about getting the leather scratched up and damaged.

If you are more of a business environment I'd go with the leather...it looks more professional

I've been doing armed security for about 10 tears now and I have 2 "Batman" belts one in nylon one in leather both have the same things in the same location and all I do is swap out my firearm mags and oc spray and baton (my company does not allow tasers or stun guns on duty)

Steer clear of the $50 all in one special from cheaper than dirt it's only $50 for a reason. I spent about 100 on my nylon set up ( not including holster) and have had to chance it once in 10 years... While coworkers have replaced their $50 rigs 3-4 times in 2 years.
Chl class for me and wife=$225. Chl application fees =$280. Chl gear for 2=more $ the previous. Moving from sheep to sheepdog = priceless

papajohn1964

Post by papajohn1964 »

I also have some duty gear laying around if your interested. A couple of cuff cases and s&w cuffs, a couple of full size Glock holsters etc and I'm in SA.
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I carried leather for many years, switched to nylon with the velcro inner belt as described below, and never looked back.

I bought the best quality belt and stuff holders (a mix of brands but mostly Bianchi Accumold) and never had to replace anything. I've always found this approach to be cheaper in the long run. Buying 2 crummy ones of anything is more expensive than buying one good one, and after the second purchase, you still have a crummy one. I also didn't have to put up with the "it's kinda torn and falling apart, but can I live with it for another few months to save money?" situation.

Dirt came off with a damp cloth, or soap on a wet cloth, or soap and a stiff brush, and in the worst cases Gigag04's touch of shoe polished brought back the professional look.

When I worked marine patrol I wore this rig without keepers in case I had to ditch it to stay above water if everything went really wrong. On land I used the keepers for a "belt and suspenders" approach.

For a holster I went with the Blackhawk Serpa Level III for my 1911 for road work and warrants, and a Level II Serpa for my Springfield XD for the boats. They were light, secure, had versatile positioning (with various Blackhawk adapters) and fast.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

I worked security in CA for a few years. Definitely go with the nylon Velcro backed belts. They are great. Everything in snug and you can even get the kind that look like leather too if thats important.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”