Anyone know of a TX campus which allows carrying?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thatguyjosh
Posts in topic: 4

Anyone know of a TX campus which allows carrying?

Post by thatguyjosh »

I'm trying to get some stats together to e-mail my local universities police chief, and was wondering if anyone knows of a Texas public university who allows CHL holders to carry on campus?

Thanks

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

forbidden by state unless I'm mistaken.

Topic author
thatguyjosh

Post by thatguyjosh »

Texas Penal Code
§46.03. Places weapons prohibited.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally,
knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal
knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational
institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by
a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger
transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether
the school or educational institution is public or private, unless
pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the
institution;

According to that last part, it would seem in general they are forbidden but the school can allow a CHL holder to carry if they authorize it.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

I don't know of any, but you might check with Tarleton State. They have a rifle team of national renown.

After that, I'd check with small conservative Christian schools. Never know what you might find there.

Kevin

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

Post any findings here on the forum--we'd all like to know what you find out.

Also, there is an on-line group you may be interested in: http://concealedcampus.org .

GH

Topic author
thatguyjosh

Post by thatguyjosh »

No luck so far guys.. this sucks.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

thatguyjosh wrote:No luck so far guys.. this stinks.
Your best bet is Utah State.

You'll still be able to come back to TX once in a while. And it's not forever, just until you get your degree.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

glocklvr

Post by glocklvr »

I wish I was allowed to carry in class especially after seeing what happened at virginia tech. I guess I will have to stick with leaving it in the truck and parking as close as possible to where I plan to be and hope for the best.
It is easier to get an airport security clearance than a CHL

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

glocklvr wrote:I wish I was allowed to carry in class especially after seeing what happened at virginia tech. I guess I will have to stick with leaving it in the truck and parking as close as possible to where I plan to be and hope for the best.
I believe that in TX that would still be a violation. If I'm wrong, and someone (txinvestigator?) can find the relevant statute, I will hapilly stand corrected.

In Utah, you can carry in class, and just about anywhere else.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

Topic author
thatguyjosh

Post by thatguyjosh »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:
thatguyjosh wrote:No luck so far guys.. this stinks.
Your best bet is Utah State.

You'll still be able to come back to TX once in a while. And it's not forever, just until you get your degree.
I'm already in school here in Texas.. and yes Utah is the only example I could find.

Geister

Post by Geister »

frankie_the_yankee wrote: I believe that in TX that would still be a violation. If I'm wrong, and someone (txinvestigator?) can find the relevant statute, I will hapilly stand corrected.
I don't think so; I believe the law prohibits INSIDE of the buildings and not the parking lot. Someone else more familiar can chime in.

My fear with leaving a firearm in the parking lot is with the vehicle break-ins.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

You might want to look at Tarleton State University. I cannot find their policy on line, but they sponsor a college rifle team so some students definitely have access to weapons.

It has probably changed, but when I went to Kansas University in the 70's, we could have guns on campus. If you lived in the dorm, you could not keep it in your room but had to check it into a safe at the front desk. Some other schools may have similar policies.
Steve Rothstein

Geister

Post by Geister »

srothstein wrote:You might want to look at Tarleton State University. I cannot find their policy on line, but they sponsor a college rifle team so some students definitely have access to weapons.
I'd avoid Tarleton. I've had friends that went there and there was way too many altercations up there for a university. Basically seemed like high school all over again.

I think it would be better to find a school with less of a chance of violence than to bring a handgun into a fistfight.

GreenGuy

Post by GreenGuy »

glocklvr wrote:I wish I was allowed to carry in class especially after seeing what happened at virginia tech. I guess I will have to stick with leaving it in the truck and parking as close as possible to where I plan to be and hope for the best.
So if you were in a situation and needed it, you would run to your truck and then go BACK?

Me personally, once I was out of harms way, It would be be very unlikely that I would go back into it.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

A&M's UPD told me I could carry anywhere outside, including parking garages, but not in a campus bldg (ie any on campus bldg).

This seems to be consistent with state law.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”