CNN Gun Control Poll

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

fickman
Posts in topic: 5

Re: CNN Gun Control Poll

Post by fickman »

I should have said "among the tragedies of Newtown"...
Native Texian

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 12

Post by RPB »

tuna wrote:
canvasbck wrote:Yes, your being emotional and it is severly clouding your judgement. The good, law abiding folks here are just as passionate about protecting innocent children, including those who have not yet been born, as anyone. We want to see the same level of protection afforded to our children at school that we, as CHL holders, provide to them whenever they are not at school.
I think this is my biggest stumbling block with your argument. Are schools the right place for weapons? I think of innocence and youth, and introducing a firearm into that environment makes my brain explode.
You might have trouble up around TOW Texas on Lake Buchanan where in the Newspaper there's usually photos of 6-year old girls and a deer they shot and 14-year old girls in Marble Falls winning National marksmanship awards

Church youth groups/4-H clubs/YMCA groups/FFA groups etc go shoot with the "made for range shooting only" 30 round magazines (which no military/law enforcement use because they aren't reliable for defense) because we'd make the whole group stop shooting when anyone "runs dry" so we can supervise the reload and teach if needed and that way there is less stopping

Guns around Kids is as normal as bicycles (which are dangerous).
Last edited by RPB on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

clarionite
Posts in topic: 3

Post by clarionite »

tuna wrote:
clarionite wrote:As far as hostile, if you honestly believe your first post wasn't hostile... I'm not interested in continuing the conversation.
Yeah, I don't see it as hostile... it's an opinion, and I posted it because I wanted debate. If you disagree with what I say, that doesn't make it hostile. I'm sorry if I scared you away.
I'm not scared. Life's just too short to deal with sensless hostility.

longhorn_92
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longhorn_92 »

clarionite wrote:
tuna wrote:
clarionite wrote:As far as hostile, if you honestly believe your first post wasn't hostile... I'm not interested in continuing the conversation.
Yeah, I don't see it as hostile... it's an opinion, and I posted it because I wanted debate. If you disagree with what I say, that doesn't make it hostile. I'm sorry if I scared you away.
:iagree:
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

tuna
Posts in topic: 21

Post by tuna »

clarionite wrote:
tuna wrote:
Cool, I'm not senseless. I'll value any conversation we have.

tuna

Post by tuna »

fickman wrote:I should have said "among the tragedies of Newtown"...
What are the others?

tuna

Post by tuna »

RPB wrote:You might have trouble up around TOW Texas on Lake Buchanan where in the Newspaper there's usually photos of 6-year old girls and a deer they shot and 14-year old girls in Marble Falls winning National marksmanship awards
I might. It makes me leery, girls especially.
I'll accept bicycles are dangerous, but guns around kids as normal? No... that's preposterous.

fickman

Post by fickman »

tuna wrote:
fickman wrote:I should have said "among the tragedies of Newtown"...
What are the others?
The defenseless children who died. Their families and friends. The murdered mother. The unfettered trampling of her grave. The father and brother of the shooter. The Constitutional rights of New Yorkers. The vitreol against our civil liberties. Political opportunism. (More to come)
Native Texian

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 12

Post by RPB »

tuna wrote:
RPB wrote:You might have trouble up around TOW Texas on Lake Buchanan where in the Newspaper there's usually photos of 6-year old girls and a deer they shot and 14-year old girls in Marble Falls winning National marksmanship awards
I'll accept bicycles are dangerous, but guns around kids as normal? No... that's preposterous.
There goes the opinion not based on fact. See, You never know what type danger a bike has, a gun is predictable as you know what end the projectile exits ... bikes are more dangerous. Heck, mom used to use the .22 out in the barn as a teen to get rid of excess cats. not preposterous, no more than a baseball bat around kids.

Kids used to use sharp axes to chop wood ... I did. It's what kept us warm in winter, had to have wood for the fireplace.
We never taped bubble wrap round the kids in those days. We educated the kids ... this end is sharp ... do not lick it. We listened carefully to the entire safety lesson, because we wanted to keep all 5 toes on each foot too...

Now, it's virtual reality, and no educating ...my niece sees guns all over the house, knows they are loaded, knows that flipping a light switch turns on the light and the bangswitch on a gun makes a loud noise and not to touch it if you don't want that result, and what end the danger is on ... we, many of us, educate our kids, not assign an electronic babysitter. That's why 6-year-old girls up here can provide deer meat for the family with leftovers for the food bank to feed the hungry/less fortunate.

==============================================================================

Anyway ... I know you came to debate, and this is kind of turning into a 4-page discussion/thread hijack, deviating from the topic of the thread, being a poll ... so it probably needs to get back on topic... the useless non-scientific poll itself where you can vote 40 times a minute for whatever.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

SF18C
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SF18C »

tuna wrote:
canvasbck wrote:Yes, your being emotional and it is severly clouding your judgement. The good, law abiding folks here are just as passionate about protecting innocent children, including those who have not yet been born, as anyone. We want to see the same level of protection afforded to our children at school that we, as CHL holders, provide to them whenever they are not at school.
I think this is my biggest stumbling block with your argument. Are schools the right place for weapons? I think of innocence and youth, and introducing a firearm into that environment makes my brain explode.

Funny, when I was like 10 years old (35 years ago) we would go to summer camp and guess what...we got to go to the range and shoot 22 Rifles! They had bow and arrows too!
When I was younger than that Grandpa would round up a few of us grandkids and take us hunting, rabbit, dove and the sorts.
I recall taking my rifle to (your not going to believe this) SCHOOL, [it was left in a vehicle in school parking lot] so me and my friends could go deer hunting right after we got out of class.

My daughter (15y.o.) know my rules, where our guns are and how to shoot every one of them! She is a good shot too! She has her own Mossberg 702 .22cal rifle and she will shoot dime sized groups at 25 meters on open sights!

I also think it is funny how gun education in schools can make a persons mind explode but there are no issues with showing young people how to put a condemn on a cucumber or where to get an abortion!
Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees!

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 7

Post by canvasbck »

tuna wrote:
This is where we as CHL holders have failed to educate the general public. In the state of Texas, if you bring your children to a resteraunt, to the movies, to the mall, you are likely taking them around someone with a CHL who is carrying. I am out with my grandchildren on a regular basis while carrying. My granchildren aren't even aware that I am carrying, there is no "big scary gun" as far as they are concerned, they are free to be kids. They are just being really well protected.

No one is advocating that teachers keep a gun on their desk or an AR slung across their back. We have a saying around here that "concealed means concealed". The kids would never know that the gun is there and our children are being protected by more than a glass door. That being said, I am all for teachers getting aditional training above the basic CHL before being allowed to carry in the classroom. Training that includes how to shelter in the classroom, keep you class safe while forcing the BG into a fatal funnel, ect.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Gameover

Post by Gameover »

Man what is going on up in here....tuna came in with a BANG!!!
Question everything

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Gameover wrote:Man what is going on up in here....tuna came in with a BANG!!!
Maybe he has a gun he wants to sell. He's getting there in record time!
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

tuna

Post by tuna »

I think the CNN polls discriminate by IP address, restricting multiple submissions, though I'm not sure. It does provide some insight to the larger view outside of Texas, CHL'ers or the NRA.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

tuna wrote:
Why?

I was raised around guns, as were most of my contemporaries, and my kids were raised around guns. We understood from the earliest age that they were not toys and that they could be very dangerous. My high school had a shooting team until the mid sixties, my late wife's school the same, and the two, plus others competed against each other. I had some of those marksmanship awards and killed some of that game.

There is nothing preposterous about raising kids to be safe around guns just as they need to be raised to be safe around any other dangerous things, including swimming pools and knives, actually the thing that's preposterous is to raise children isolated from dangerous things and then expect them to be safe with them as they get older.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”