List of executive actions Obama plans to take

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

newTexan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: List of executive actions Obama plans to take

Post by newTexan »

On the medical issue, I'd like to state my $0.02 as a person who used to work in the medical environment with mentally ill individuals.

There are some clear cases where a person is diagnosed with major mental illness due to biological illness (Alzheimer or tumors for example), or for psychological reasons. This diagnosis must be supported by appropriate tests by competent professionals, and is often quite obvious and severe. A person who is hearing voices, can't stop talking to their imaginary friend, or exhibits the clear signs of major cognitive disorder covered by clearly definition in the DSM should IMHO be ineligible to own guns. At present, in those cases, they are immediately stopped from driving, operating heavy machinery, etc etc, but their gun rights can not be touched. As a person who has dealt with these folks at a professional level, I support removing their gun rights based on those diagnoses. I have seen patients who are clearly immediate dangers to themselves and others due to mental illness.

However, that is a far far cry from the "average" mental health issues. I feel that is the dangerous part. If they go this route, we must be very cautious and watch them like a hawk to make sure that the "net" is not too broad.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

CC Italian wrote:That was the Newton shooter pawpaw.
Doh! Thanks for straightening me out. :oops:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

VMI77
Posts in topic: 16

Post by VMI77 »

mamabearCali wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
I agree, however, you have children, right? Are you present 100% of the time when they are with the doctor? Do they go to a public school --cause you can bet teachers will be asking these kinds of questions too. They will work through the children. Grown kids? Then how about grandchildren......I guarantee they'll be asking if grandpa has guns in the home. Nieces, newphews? What about Auntie Mamabear, does she have guns? And in this kind of a rat fink society being created here, your anti-gun neighbor will be asking their pediatrician what can be done about those nutty gun owners next door who let their children use guns....you know, they're afraid of what those evil little right-wingers might do, or that one of those guns next door might get loose. Well, Mr. and Mrs. Pelosibama, tell me the name and address of those obviously dangerous neighbors and I'll make sure it gets in their records.
As long as I am paying for the medical bills and they are under 18 either I or my husband will be in the room.

My kids do not go to public indoctrination centers. I am responsible for their education.

As for grand kids.....well...my eldest is 7 we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Yes this is turning into a rat fink society, but we are not there yet.
I'm not really pointing at you or me with my remarks, but at the average gun owner, who doesn't homeschool and can't so easily escape the system. My kids were homeschooled, and like you, my wife or I were always in the room. In fact, she took the kids to a dentist once who said parents couldn't be in the room, and she turned around, walked out, and found another dentist. No grand kids yet, but I'm pretty sure one of our sons is going to homeschool.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

texxas guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by texxas guy »

[quote="stroo"]Other than 12,18 and 19, none of these would have prevented Newtown nor will prevent any future mass murder.

The EOs were not as bad as I was expecting.[/quote]

And that's exactly what they hope you think..........then they kick in the door. :txflag:
02/28/09 : CHL Class
03/24/09 : Packet Mailed
03/30/09 : Packet Received
05/18/09 : Received PIN snail mail
08/19/09 : Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
08/22/09 : Plastic received
Tarrant County

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

mamabearCali wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
I agree, however, you have children, right? Are you present 100% of the time when they are with the doctor? Do they go to a public school --cause you can bet teachers will be asking these kinds of questions too. They will work through the children. Grown kids? Then how about grandchildren......I guarantee they'll be asking if grandpa has guns in the home. Nieces, newphews? What about Auntie Mamabear, does she have guns? And in this kind of a rat fink society being created here, your anti-gun neighbor will be asking their pediatrician what can be done about those nutty gun owners next door who let their children use guns....you know, they're afraid of what those evil little right-wingers might do, or that one of those guns next door might get loose. Well, Mr. and Mrs. Pelosibama, tell me the name and address of those obviously dangerous neighbors and I'll make sure it gets in their records.
As long as I am paying for the medical bills and they are under 18 either I or my husband will be in the room.

My kids do not go to public indoctrination centers. I am responsible for their education.

As for grand kids.....well...my eldest is 7 we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Yes this is turning into a rat fink society, but we are not there yet.

Someone on another forum pointed out something I missed.....the key here is "information" and its use and exchange at all levels of government and throughout the medical system. You have a CHL? Then you can't lie to the doctor, because if you do, it will be caught in a cross-check, and you'll be prosecuted for perjury, and they'll take your guns. Of course, this isn't going to happen instantly, but that's the objective. Obamacare was the foot in the door. It's really a pretty smart plan to use it as the vehicle for creating the kind of all encompassing data base they want. Any man on here with kids, whose wife doesn't understand the ramifications of a doctor's questions about guns (or is an anti), is hosed.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Just received the letter from BATFE regarding transfers between individuals.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2013/ ... iduals.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Mike1951 wrote:Just received the letter from BATFE regarding transfers between individuals.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2013/ ... iduals.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't have a problem with being "able" to do it this way. In fact, if I was selling to someone I didn't know, I might want to do it this way, not only so that I didn't sell a gun to a criminal or psycho, but for my own protection as well. However, making it a legal requirement would be a joke, since anyone with criminal intent isn't going to follow the law anyway.

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Remember the guns used in the Oregon shootings were stolen. Obama's new EO won't stop that :biggrinjester:
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

VMI77 wrote: Someone on another forum pointed out something I missed.....the key here is "information" and its use and exchange at all levels of government and throughout the medical system. You have a CHL? Then you can't lie to the doctor, because if you do, it will be caught in a cross-check, and you'll be prosecuted for perjury, and they'll take your guns. Of course, this isn't going to happen instantly, but that's the objective. Obamacare was the foot in the door. It's really a pretty smart plan to use it as the vehicle for creating the kind of all encompassing data base they want. Any man on here with kids, whose wife doesn't understand the ramifications of a doctor's questions about guns (or is an anti), is hosed.

when did I "swear" to tell the truth to the doctor under penalty of perjury? he/she isn't an agent of the court. until they change the paperwork I and my kids can and will say "no" if and when asked if there are guns in the home.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

AEA
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AEA »

All we need is ONE Fast & Furious Rifle found at one of these domestic shootings and their game is over!
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

VMI77 wrote:Someone on another forum pointed out something I missed.....the key here is "information" and its use and exchange at all levels of government and throughout the medical system. You have a CHL? Then you can't lie to the doctor, because if you do, it will be caught in a cross-check, and you'll be prosecuted for perjury, and they'll take your guns. Of course, this isn't going to happen instantly, but that's the objective. Obamacare was the foot in the door. It's really a pretty smart plan to use it as the vehicle for creating the kind of all encompassing data base they want. Any man on here with kids, whose wife doesn't understand the ramifications of a doctor's questions about guns (or is an anti), is hosed.
Unless they make it part of the CHL law that I have to disclose this to my doctor, they have nothing to stand on to take my gun or charge with perjury. Who hasn't "lied" to their doctor before. :nono:
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

SewTexas wrote:when did I "swear" to tell the truth to the doctor under penalty of perjury? he/she isn't an agent of the court. until they change the paperwork I and my kids can and will say "no" if and when asked if there are guns in the home.
:iagree:

I must have been typing when you hit reply. :biggrinjester:
RX8er wrote:
VMI77 wrote:Someone on another forum pointed out something I missed.....the key here is "information" and its use and exchange at all levels of government and throughout the medical system. You have a CHL? Then you can't lie to the doctor, because if you do, it will be caught in a cross-check, and you'll be prosecuted for perjury, and they'll take your guns. Of course, this isn't going to happen instantly, but that's the objective. Obamacare was the foot in the door. It's really a pretty smart plan to use it as the vehicle for creating the kind of all encompassing data base they want. Any man on here with kids, whose wife doesn't understand the ramifications of a doctor's questions about guns (or is an anti), is hosed.
Unless they make it part of the CHL law that I have to disclose this to my doctor, they have nothing to stand on to take my gun or charge with perjury. Who hasn't "lied" to their doctor before. :nono:
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

mentalarson

Post by mentalarson »

My father-in-law had a stroke last year and is recovering well. The docs started asking him this year if he's depressed...like a dozen times in one visit. If I was 56 and had a stroke, I'd be depressed... He said, "No, feeling great" every time.

Be careful what you and members of your family disclose to doctors. This is some muddy water. Innocent, reasonable and normal things like having difficulty adjusting to normal life after returning from combat may be used to prevent you from possessing a firearm in the future.

Apparently being sad or occasionally distraught or bummed out that our country is being FUBARed by a Marxist may qualify us for a "list".
It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. --Samuel Adams

http://BlueStateRefugees.com: Moving from Western WA to NE Texas in 2013.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Mike1951 wrote:Just received the letter from BATFE regarding transfers between individuals.

As long as no Call for CHL holders (as it is now) I will reluctantly accept this. :roll:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

RX8er wrote:
Also, having a CHL is not proof that you have a gun.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”