List of executive actions Obama plans to take

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 3

List of executive actions Obama plans to take

Post by LSUTiger »

http://politics.foxnews.mobi/quickPage. ... pageNum=-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: List of executive actions Obama plans to take

Post by powerboatr »

The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system. arent we doing this now

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system. ????

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

It sounds like a bunch stuff that will make it easy for someone, especially in the medical profession to make a mere accusation/interpretation of a threat or question someones mental state and have them disarmed without any due process or previous legal justification.

Becareful what you say and to whom you say it to. I bet Dr's and teachers will be asking kids about guns in the home and reporting it back to the Feds.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

AEA

Post by AEA »

If we gotta have a Background check for private sales, we need to lobby our congress critters to continue to allow a CHL holder (already approved under background check) to avoid this requirement. Just like we do now when buying a new gun from a FFL.

Continue to be able to buy/sell Privately between CHL's by simply showing the License.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

Who knows exactly what all this means. Its very vague, but rest assured its not over.

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

A good bit of that is in the category of --enforce the laws on the books--. For all his huffing and puffing he share did not have much wind. Now some of this I am unfamiliar with, so I don't know what is happening on those levels. The medical stuff, I have no experience with. Perhaps someone else can enlighten us.

And NONE if this would have done a blessed thing to stop any of the mass murders in the recent past. It is more show little substance, but perhaps that is by the grace of God.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

AEA wrote:If we gotta have a Background check for private sales, we need to lobby our congress critters to continue to allow a CHL holder (already approved under background check) to avoid this requirement. Just like we do now when buying a new gun from a FFL.

Continue to be able to buy/sell Privately between CHL's by simply showing the License.
I disagree. We (CHL holders) should stand firm with the rest of our pro-2A community and fight against ALL provisions requiring background checks for ALL private sales/transfers. Trying to stipulate CHLs as being exempt would only serve to drive a wedge into our united front.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

LSUTiger wrote:Who knows exactly what all this means. Its very vague, but rest assured its not over.
Of course it is vague. Intentionally so.

The details will be worked out in secret.

Very few will know the details until the knock on the door announces the arrival of your turn.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

So nothing on actual proposed legislation??? I suspect that there's more to come. Most of this is just a lot of fluff that's probably designed to lull us into a false sense of security. Sort of a "See, the president is being reasonable" charade. My uncle always told me that if I don't trust someone, I need to watch BOTH of their hands.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

DId he mention anything in his speech about an assault weapons ban or a magazine ban? I haven't read the article just yet.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

I'm interested in seeing the "list" regarding EO #4
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

gregthehand wrote:DId he mention anything in his speech about an assault weapons ban or a magazine ban? I haven't read the article just yet.
He proposes that congress ban "assault weapons"
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

EconDoc

Post by EconDoc »

With respect to #14, directing the CDC to "research" the causes of gun violence, I think that it quite safe to say that they will be secretly ordered to turn our some antigun results using cherry-picked data. They will be told what results to report before they even begin the research process.

:patriot: :txflag:
Sauron lives and his orc minions are on the march. Free people own guns.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

v-rog wrote:I'm interested in seeing the "list" regarding EO #4
We are all dangerous. Remember the new definition of terrorist.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RottenApple »

FYI re #16 "Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes" from the Affordable Care Act itself:
"(c) PROTECTION OF SECOND AMENDMENT GUN RIGHTS.—[As added by section 10101(e)(2)]
‘‘(1) WELLNESS AND PREVENTION PROGRAMS.—A wellness and health promotion activity implemented under subsection (a)(1)(D) may not require the disclosure or collection of any information relating to—
‘‘(A) the presence or storage of a lawfully-possessed firearm or ammunition in the residence or on the property of an individual; or
‘‘(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition by an individual.
So while it doesn't prohibit doctors from asking, 1) they cannot be required to and 2) (the way I read it) patients cannot be required to answer and/or answer truthfully.
Last edited by RottenApple on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”