Academic gets taken to the woodshed

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Academic gets taken to the woodshed

Post by baldeagle »

Apparently Janet Rosembaum is an academic whose paper is being touted by the anti-gunners and the media (but I repeat myself). A Swiss citizen responded and took Ms. Rosembaum to the woodshed.

http://finemrespice.com/node/122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Money quote comes early.
It is unfortunate then that the body of your research on Switzerland can only be described as "shoddy," at best. At worst it appears more like raw academic fraud.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Heartland Patriot

Re: Academic gets taken to the woodshed

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Thank you for posting that. I sent the link on to Mr. John Lott. If anyone could make use of that information, he would be the guy.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Finally, there is the matter of your gross misrepresentation of trends in Swiss gun control, which you have repeatedly alleged is on the rise, or that Switzerland is "moving towards" greater control, whatever that means. Here your conduct has been so egregious it becomes difficult to believe that major American Universities have played host to your activities.

Any serious scholar of Swiss firearms policy would have known that in 2011 the Swiss held a popular referendum calling for more gun control, supported in large measure by the same organizations which pressed the Switzerland to join the European Union (a bullet Switzerland thankfully dodged). The gun-control measure was thoroughly trounced.
:hurry:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

DLBConductor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DLBConductor »

My Opinion:
I spent 41 years in academe, held an endowed chair for 15 of those 41 years, and was a Dean for 9 years. In the universities in which I served, this type of shoddy research and publication would have resulted in a strong condemnation by the department and, if said publication was listed on a tenure application, also would have resulted in probable denial of tenure. As a Dean, I would call for a tenure revocation hearing for any tenured professor in my College having the temerity and audacity to publish such poorly researched materials. This research not only reflects poorly upon the author but, if the said individual's research methodology is not officially condemned, also upon the university.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to this individual. I hope it is not "quietly swept under the rug."
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Harvard PhD in Public Health = Leftist Ideologue

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Gold:

Perhaps this is a Swiss attitude, but curtailing the rights of nearly 9 million residents to prevent 0.000062% of the population from voluntarily ending their own lives seems slightly excessive.

I have called her out on twitter. We shall she what sort of reply she can muster.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

gigag04 wrote:Gold:

Perhaps this is a Swiss attitude, but curtailing the rights of nearly 9 million residents to prevent 0.000062% of the population from voluntarily ending their own lives seems slightly excessive.

I have called her out on twitter. We shall she what sort of reply she can muster.
The rebuttal was written on 12/19. I think you would have already seen a rebuttal if the academic was worth a salt.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

DLBConductor wrote:My Opinion:
I spent 41 years in academe, held an endowed chair for 15 of those 41 years, and was a Dean for 9 years. In the universities in which I served, this type of shoddy research and publication would have resulted in a strong condemnation by the department and, if said publication was listed on a tenure application, also would have resulted in probable denial of tenure. As a Dean, I would call for a tenure revocation hearing for any tenured professor in my College having the temerity and audacity to publish such poorly researched materials. This research not only reflects poorly upon the author but, if the said individual's research methodology is not officially condemned, also upon the university.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to this individual. I hope it is not "quietly swept under the rug."

Nothing will happen. You may not have found it acceptable where you worked but there are plenty of "universities" in this country where the most outrageous ideological drivel is not only tolerated, but encouraged. The nonsense my son encountered at UT Austin is frightening. This woman is obviously a "court academic," and she is obviously pandering to the "court." If the university in question did decide they had to do something they'd warn the White House first, and she'd resign for some position in the Obama administration. Let's not forget that this is a country in which one of the nation's largest universities, with one of the most famous and revered coaches in college football, knowingly facilitated a child molester for almost two decades.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

DLBConductor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DLBConductor »

VMI77 wrote: Nothing will happen. You may not have found it acceptable where you worked but there are plenty of "universities" in this country where the most outrageous ideological drivel is not only tolerated, but encouraged. The nonsense my son encountered at UT Austin is frightening. This woman is obviously a "court academic," and she is obviously pandering to the "court." If the university in question did decide they had to do something they'd warn the White House first, and she'd resign for some position in the Obama administration. Let's not forget that this is a country in which one of the nation's largest universities, with one of the most famous and revered coaches in college football, knowingly facilitated a child molester for almost two decades.
Unfortunately, you are probably correct. It is truly a sad state of affairs.
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]

Zoo

Post by Zoo »

DLBConductor wrote:It will be interesting to see what will happen to this individual. I hope it is not "quietly swept under the rug."
How a school handles gross incompetence and fraud depends whether it has integrity or is just some diploma mill.
The city is not a concrete jungle. It is a human zoo.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”