Why there is no bill to allow CCW in Texas schools?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

1TallTXn
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 1TallTXn »

thatguyjosh wrote: Hello hi-power,

I read the section that txinvestigator posted, and I have on question. Does this mean the university can issue authorization on a case by case basis, or that they can authorize for all CHL holder on the entire campus to carry?

I want to get all my ducks in a row before I reply back to the Chief.

Thanks
I'm no lawyer, but I'd think it would be up to the Univ to decide how to do it. The law doesn't seem to indicate either way. The way I read it anyway
Taurus PT-111MP
Springfield XD-9 Service

thatguyjosh
Posts in topic: 3

Post by thatguyjosh »

1TallTXn wrote:

I read the section that txinvestigator posted, and I have on question. Does this mean the university can issue authorization on a case by case basis, or that they can authorize for all CHL holder on the entire campus to carry?

Thanks
I'm no lawyer, but I'd think it would be up to the Univ to decide how to do it. The law doesn't seem to indicate either way. The way I read it anyway
That's what I thought too when I first read it, thanks.

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

1TallTXn wrote:

Thanks
That's what I was going to say also.

Hang around a little to see if 'txinvestigator' or 'CHL/LEO' can answer it from their law enforcement POV.

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:
txinvestigator wrote: You are completely wrong. There is no law prohibiting a government agency frim posting a 30.06 law. There is no penalty or crime if a government entity posts a 30.06.

30.06 simply makes it an exception to the application of 30.06 if the location is a placed owned or leased by a government entity.

The real point is (and one I missed in my previous post) that a 30.06 sign posted at a school could be ignored by a CHL holder.
I guess I didn't phrase my thought precisely. What I meant was that such a sign would not have the force of law for CHL holders, NOT that it would be a crime for a government agency to post it.
Dont worry, i think most here understood exactly what you were trying to say.

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

ForbidInjustice wrote:I wouldn't think that a request like that would be approved. Although I support it 100%, just think of the reaction of parents and even other faculty members just knowing that there is a firearm on campus. I believe that even if they tried to keep it all a secret, it is only a matter of time before word gets out. The parents really don't know you.. they don't know of your mental stability and competency when using a firearm. If you have been employed there long enough, that might be a helpful factor.. but it just makes people uneasy knowing that someone there has a weapon.

Good luck. Be persuasive. I wish we all could carry everywhere!
Good post, however if he wants to request permission...now would be a heck of a good time i think.

piro
Posts in topic: 1

Post by piro »

I am kind of curious now to see if I the President or VP would have time for an appointment to talk this over. Might look into trying that on an off day of mine.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Thane wrote:I agree.

It's insane that we expect our children to be safe at any school as things stand, and high time for the government to stop preventing society from defending its future from predators.

"Gun Free Zones"? Don't make me laugh. :evil:
It seems that judgement calls were made to use political capital to make parking lots safer rather than make schools safer.

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

two ways listed for school to allow chl...

Pursuant to written regulations This is how they would give blanket authority for all CHLs to carry.

written authorization This is a way to allow 1 or more specific person to carry.

I do know of at least one instance where a school administrator granted written permission for a teacher to carry and am unwilling to name the school to avoid the unlikely event of somehow the info getting to someone with kids in that district and them throwing a fit. The teacher was going through a very nasty divorce from an abusive partner who had trespassed on school property several times and they decided the teacher's students were safer if the teacher was armed.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

pastor1

My Two Cents

Post by pastor1 »

Even if it were made legal by our state for all CHL holders to carry within a public school, or even if the administrator of said school were to give the CHL holder permission to carry, this would go against the federal law that makes all public schools "gun free zones". It's my understanding that state law can't override federal law. So, really when we CHL holding teachers even have a concealed handgun in our locked vehicle, we are breaking federal law but not state law. Now, please correct me and tell me how I'm wrong. I really do want to be wrong since I always have a pistol in my truck in the school parking lot where I work. :???:
Isaiah 40:31

KD5NRH

Re: My Two Cents

Post by KD5NRH »

pastor1 wrote:Even if it were made legal by our state for all CHL holders to carry within a public school, or even if the administrator of said school were to give the CHL holder permission to carry, this would go against the federal law that makes all public schools "gun free zones".:
The gun free school zones act specifically exempts anyone licensed by the state.

pastor1

Post by pastor1 »

Thanks for the info. I feel a bit better now. I had heard that the federal law was really set up to prosecute those who broke the law with a gun or drugs while on campus (gang members and such) and it would be unusual for them to prosecute a CHL holder. This from a local police officer. :grin:
Isaiah 40:31

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

carlson1 wrote:It should be a priority.
+1

pmw

Post by pmw »

thatguyjosh wrote:I want to get all my ducks in a row before I reply back to the Chief.
Josh, I am also a UTD student. Maybe we can coordinate? Will you email me at pmw033000@utdallas.edu?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”