Shooting at Virginia Tech

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

CHL/LEO
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CHL/LEO »

I JUST GRADUATED FROM PENN STATE UNIVERSITY.
Based upon your posts on this forum perhaps you need to now attend the University of Mature Behaviour and learn how to communicate with other people that may not think exactly like you (or how you believe they should think).

You might actually have some good ideas but people will probably have a hard time listening to you based upon how you deliver them.
"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option."

Life Member - NRA/TSRA/GOA

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 6

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Ok campers...Lets test that knowledge locker...

The Final Jeopardy Answer to today's question is:

"Can a Resident Alien (Green Card) living in this country purchase/own/posess a firearm?"

(No, I'm not humming the theme to Jeopardy)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

hi-power
Posts in topic: 3

Post by hi-power »

stevie_d_64 wrote:"Can a Resident Alien (Green Card) living in this country purchase/own/posess a firearm?"
Yep.

From the Virginia State Police website:

A buyer who is not a citizen of the United States must have lawful alien status and must establish that he or she is a resident of a state by providing a valid photo identification and documentation such as a utility bill or lease agreement which would establish that he or she has resided in the state for at least 90 days prior to the date of the sale.

Congress has passed prohibitions that apply to "any alien in the United States in a non-immigrant status" with certain exceptions and a waiver process. Contact the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives if you have questions about these regulations.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

stevie_d_64 wrote:Ok campers...Lets test that knowledge locker...

The Final Jeopardy Answer to today's question is:

"Can a Resident Alien (Green Card) living in this country purchase/own/posess a firearm?"

(No, I'm not humming the theme to Jeopardy)
From the ATF:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#r2
(R7) I have a "green card" and have lived in Texas for several years. Am I prohibited from purchasing firearms and ammunition from an FFL in Texas?

As long as you are not otherwise prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms and ammunition (for example, a felon), Federal law does not prohibit you from purchasing or possessing firearms or ammunition. However, you will need to put your alien number or admission number on the Form 4473 and provide the FFL with documentation establishing you have resided in Texas for more than 90 consecutive days preceding the transaction. Moreover, you must make sure there are no State or local restrictions on such a purchase.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Piney

Post by Piney »

Ahhhhhh-- That clears up a question I had-

I was curious-- I was waiting in line for a purchase at a recent gun show. I kept seeing folks bringing pages of utility bills to the table . Now that makes sense-- resident alien purchase requirements.

piro
Posts in topic: 4

Post by piro »

carlson1 wrote:
flintknapper wrote:Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."campus facilities.
WOW! :shock: I wonder what Mr. Hincker has to say today?
To contact Larry Hincker: University Relations, 315 Burruss Hall, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0229. Ph - 540-231-5396. Email: hincker@vt.edu.

I am thinking about calling him myself and asking when I get back home. Not for any ill, but to see if it takes 31 of his students being killed for logic to take a twist.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 6

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Another tidbit of on-topic logic from VT's public relations spokesperson...

Lets here it for Larry!!!

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/commentary/wb/81277

The last sentence needs to be put up on a billboard just outside the campus for all to see...

"Guns don't belong in classrooms. They never will. Virginia Tech has a very sound policy preventing same."

Larry Hincker, (hopefully soon to be "former") Associate Vice President for university relations at Virginia Tech.
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stroo

Post by stroo »

The one thing that sticks with me from all I have heard and read is that NO ONE FOUGHT BACK!!

There were some who courageously blocked doors so others could jump out of classrooms and who died for their heroism, but NO ONE FOUGHT BACK.

In contrast, in the UT Tower shooting 40 years ago, students with hunting rifles shot back at the gunman, pinning him down. But at VT it doesn't appear that a single student tried to rush the gunman. I have to believe that if 1,2 or more student had rushed him, they could have stopped the killing.

So to me, even worse than the gun control, is the fact that the will to defend ourselves has been taught out of at least this generation and maybe a couple generation before this. This is the bigger fight.

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

One more thing that just came to mind. I dont know about the rest of yall. But I tend to try and look past the skin color and nationality and know that the insane can come from anywhere. The is a prime example that BG dont have to be "long haired hippies types" or Wearing colors or all the other stereotypes out there. From an out ward appearance this kid look as normal as the average Joe. Just remember dont judge a book by is cover even when it sparkles. Just a passing thought I had while at work watching care flight land.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

Wildscar wrote:One more thing that just came to mind. I dont know about the rest of yall. But I tend to try and look past the skin color and nationality and know that the insane can come from anywhere. The is a prime example that BG dont have to be "long haired hippies types" or Wearing colors or all the other stereotypes out there. From an out ward appearance this kid look as normal as the average Joe. Just remember dont judge a book by is cover even when it sparkles. Just a passing thought I had while at work watching care flight land.
I agree with you Wildscar. Race doesn't make any difference to me. It's the psychopath himself that I worry about. This kid was a normal-looking college student.

I've read on Drudge Report that some of the 500 or so Korean and Korean-American VT students are worried about backlash directed at them from other angry students.

That kind of reaction would be as ignorant as the guy that shot and killed a turbaned Indian immigrant right after 9/11. (Story).

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by KBCraig »

G.A. Heath wrote:Lets get some information here. Out of a need to know I wonder how many of our existing laws this guy broke prior to committing the first murder. Word, according to fox news, is that he was a Chinese nation here on a student visa.
No, he was a South Korean with an immigrant visa (green card). As such, he was legal to buy and possess guns and ammunition.

But your point is still valid: gun control laws (including Virginia's one-handgun-per-month rule) didn't stop this tragedy. The incident is more proof that gun control is a failure.

Topic author
phddan

Post by phddan »

When I started this thread it was 1 dead, and 1 wounded. Now look at the numbers. Very sad day indeed.

Everyone I've talked to the last 24 hrs has been open about what can be done about this kind of situation. Seems to me that people who used to be dead set against guns on campuses are at least thinking about letting faculty and staff, and to a lesser degree the students who are 21, start carrying. With a little polite conversation and gently bringing out the facts, many of these people I felt are starting to come around. The police can not be everywhere, cannot be there in seconds, cameras can not stop a crime, and the only person that can save you is yourself. By the goverment taking away a persons right and means to defend himself/herself, it leaves you a victim. I actually think I seen light bulbs avove their heads.

Dan

GreenGuy

Post by GreenGuy »

phddan wrote:When I started this thread it was 1 dead, and 1 wounded. Now look at the numbers. Very sad day indeed.

Everyone I've talked to the last 24 hrs has been open about what can be done about this kind of situation. Seems to me that people who used to be dead set against guns on campuses are at least thinking about letting faculty and staff, and to a lesser degree the students who are 21, start carrying. With a little polite conversation and gently bringing out the facts, many of these people I felt are starting to come around. The police can not be everywhere, cannot be there in seconds, cameras can not stop a crime, and the only person that can save you is yourself. By the goverment taking away a persons right and means to defend himself/herself, it leaves you a victim. I actually think I seen light bulbs avove their heads.

Dan
I too have had this conversation with others, and you are right, they are at least considering the idea. The one point I used that helped the cause was the airline industry.

We have gun laws to keep guns of the planes, so the terrorists found another way to take control of the airplane. The gun laws didn't keep you safe in the sky, to be safe we have to fight back, and let them know they could meet an armed adversary. This deturrant works so so, but better yet, we have the ability to end an attack faster. So now, American has now determined that having Guns on the planes is a good idea, (pilots only) but why should pilots be different than faculty. The general american public is OK with pilots carrying weapons because they are "Trained Professionals" This is the beginning. From here, we move to responsible citizens. Thats where we come in.

You don't see it here often enough, but I carry as often as I can, and I thank each and every one of you for taking the responsibility to protect yourself, and your fellow americans if it came to that. I just wish one of us were at the school to help out, (if there weren't any gun laws preventing it)

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

Ph,
I agree. I was talking to a friend in florida who is a transplant from good ole New York :)

And i asked her if she thought if a teacher were carrying a firearm if they could have stopped the shooter.

She said, " i dont think its a good idea for teachers to carry guns". I said, "thats not what i asked. Do you think if a teacher had a gun he/she could have stopped that guy?"

She said "yeah, yeah i think they could of"

Some times people realize that legall having a gun on you isnt all that bad.

I hope she understood.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

pbandjelly wrote:
flintknapper wrote: http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."
AhThankYou

Yes Sir, an unfortunate "repost". I had not read all of the posts from both threads before replying. A kind of "negligent discharge" on my part. :smile:

Then again, maybe you and I just think alike. :shock:

I'll read more next time.

Thanks,

Flint.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”