BREAKING NEWS - Virginia Tech Shooting Rampage - Discuss

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Glockamolie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Glockamolie »

I feel terrible for all of the victims involved. My prayers are with you and your loved ones.

That said, I guess I'll buy a few more hi cap mags. It's going to be a hard hit for us law-abiding gun owners.
- Brandon

tomneal
Posts in topic: 3

Unarmed victim zone?

Post by tomneal »

Unarmed victim zone?

This article from last Wednesday indicates that Virginia allows CHL holders to carry on a public university campus
but Virgina Tech has a policy against it:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/xp-21770
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Stupid
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Stupid »

How many people have to die before they realize gun free zone really means "criminal happy zone?"

This is just sad. How often do you see this happens in a police station?

I am just afraid this may well turn into another ban.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Greybeard »

Good link there Tom.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

When I was a high school student in the 60s, and then a college student for a short time back then, nobody thought twice about seeing one to many of us taking guns out of our cars to hunt in the fields near the school at lunch and after school, and that was in upstate NY.

It's a shame that the anti-gun climate has lead to this.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

GreenGuy

New High Score..

Post by GreenGuy »

Why does the news media continue to encourage other nuts out there. Each time a reporter says, this is the Deadliest Murder in U.S history, some nut is hearing, "We have a new High Score" and he/she starts their plot to be the reigning champion. This is absurd. Continue to have Gun Free zones is like giving a nut a free XBox, and unlimited video game time.

Kill your Television, it is doing more harm than any handgun every could.

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

Also notice this...........the more gun controle they inflict on us, the more shootings that happen. And how many of the people doing the shooting are Law abiding citizens, how many LAWFULLY purchased the guns, how many hold a CHL?????? Not very many.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

sebis

Post by sebis »

Target1911 wrote:Also notice this...........the more gun controle they inflict on us, the more shootings that happen. And how many of the people doing the shooting are Law abiding citizens, how many LAWFULLY purchased the guns, how many hold a CHL?????? Not very many.
Apparently, according to the initial reports on Fox News the gunman was in US on a student visa therefore he was not legally allowed to own handguns under the Federal Law. So I guess gun control laws already covered the shooter, it didn't help. This is what we have to keep repeating to the sheeple.

--Sebis

GreenGuy

Post by GreenGuy »

sebis wrote:
Target1911 wrote:Also notice this...........the more gun controle they inflict on us, the more shootings that happen. And how many of the people doing the shooting are Law abiding citizens, how many LAWFULLY purchased the guns, how many hold a CHL?????? Not very many.
Apparently, according to the initial reports on Fox News the gunman was in US on a student visa therefore he was not legally allowed to own handguns under the Federal Law. So I guess gun control laws already covered the shooter, it didn't help. This is what we have to keep repeating to the sheeple.

--Sebis
Are you saying the shooter broke the law???

sebis

Post by sebis »

GreenGuy wrote:
sebis wrote:

--Sebis
I hope your sarcasm was not directed at my post :). It makes difference to the antis' case. Since the shooter didn't legally owned the handguns not other future law could have prevented him to obtain the guns. This is my point but logic doesn't always win.

--Sebis

GreenGuy

Post by GreenGuy »

sebis wrote:
GreenGuy wrote:
sebis wrote:

--Sebis
I hope your sarcasm was not directed at my post :). It makes difference to the antis' case. Since the shooter didn't legally owned the handguns not other future law could have prevented him to obtain the guns. This is my point but logic doesn't always win.

--Sebis
I'm in total agreement with you.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

What an utter moron.

Sure, people will "feel" safe, until someone blows their heads off. Then they won't "feel" anything.

And they won't be around to complain.

Time for another story. When I was a 21 year old idiot, I purchased a revolver, legally, "because I could". I had no training of any kind. All I knew about gun handling was what I had seen on TV.

I was a student at URI at the time. No guns were allowed on campus. But I didn't care, and kept it in my dorm room, fully loaded, with a trigger lock.

One night, my roommate and I had a few drinks and he asked me to show it to him. So I took the gun from my drawer, removed the trigger lock, and handed it to him - still fully loaded.

I know! I know! What an idiot, right?

He was from NY, and didn't know anything about guns himself. While fiddling with it, he cocked it. He didn't know what to do at that point, and I told him to give it back to me.

Heedless of where the muzzle was pointed, I tried to decock it, incorrectly, and the hammer slipped out from under my thumb causing the gun to go off.

I know! I know! What an IDIOT!

The bullet hit the concrete block wall a few INCHES from my roommate's left ear.

We both freaked out. Luckily, neither of us were hurt. But considering our massive ignorance and the fact that we both violated almost every safety rule ever devised, (drinking, failing to clear the gun before giving it to him, failure to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, and on, and on, and on.........) it's a miracle that one of us wasn't killed.

Shortly after that, I took the gun back to the store and sold it back to them. I went 18 years before buying another one. But this time, I was determined to do it "right". I joined a club, took safety training, and eventually earned several NRA Instructor ratings.

To this very day, I often think about how our lives (mine and my roommate's) would have been changed if the gun had been pointed just a LITTLE bit more to the left than it was. He most likely would have been killed, and I would have gone to prison and been, rightfully, branded a criminal for life.

I know this does not bear on whether CHL's with safety training should be allowed to have guns on campus. But it shows what can happen if there aren't SOME limits.

I might be an idiot, but I'm not the only one in the world. If I could screw up like that, I'll bet some other 21 year old kids could do so as well.

That's why I am such a big fan of safety training for ANYONE who carries a gun in public. I've been there, done that, have the teeshirt, and am still looking for the book deal.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

If this shooting teaches us anything, it is that the police can't be relied upon to protect us. People who are not prepared to take responsibility for their own protection have to resign themselves to the possibility that they may be slaughtered someday by some nut case.

A couple of years ago, a shooting almost this bad happened at a school in GERMANY, where so-called "gun control" laws are 100 times more strict than anything we have here.

I believe the Germans' response to this was to pass more gun control laws.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

Its been said a MILLION TIMES.... Gun Control Laws only hurt the Good Guys. They dont keep Guns out of the hands of BGs. It is so easy to buy one on the street and that wil never change.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."
This is key...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”