Shooting at Virginia Tech

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Venus Pax »

This is really sad.

I disagree, however, with the idea that the VT administrators need to be held responsible for the deaths of these people. These are educators, not crime analysts. The VT administrators did not kill them; the shooter did.

However, I do believe that some responsibility rests on law-makers for stripping these students of their self-defense rights.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

FYI, the little brain tumor in Whiteman's head had no effect whatsoever. There have been a number of articles and studies done on this.

It is hard to believe, but sadly it's true that there ARE people who just want to get us. Denial does not help. So wake up and face the fact.

NcongruNt wrote:I was just talking to my housemates (mostly UT students) about this incident, and what amazed me was that they were trying to put some sort of logic behind the shooter's actions. I told them that there was no way to do such a thing. Someone who is going into a school and shooting dozens of people is obviously not in his right mind. I cited the Charles Whitman shooting here at UT, and that the guy had a brain tumor that made him insane.

I think it's the same with gun control advocates. For some reason, they think a law is going to stop a criminal from breaking it, and it simply won't.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

I firmly believe those who strip us of our self-defense rights and means must not go free. They are just as bad as criminals, unless they can be sued for failing to protect us.

Sadly, no police department can be sued for failing to protect us. They have no responsibility to protect us.
Venus Pax wrote:This is really sad.

I disagree, however, with the idea that the VT administrators need to be held responsible for the deaths of these people. These are educators, not crime analysts. The VT administrators did not kill them; the shooter did.

However, I do believe that some responsibility rests on law-makers for stripping these students of their self-defense rights.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by carlson1 »

Venus Pax wrote:However, I do believe that some responsibility rests on law-makers for stripping these students of their self-defense rights.
100% Correct! :totap: But will it ever CHANGE?

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

Venus Pax wrote:This is really sad.

Yup!

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

Gun bill gets shot down by panel

HB 1572, which would have allowed handguns on college campuses, died in subcommittee.
By Greg Esposito
381-1675

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming laws.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Del. Dave Nutter, R-Christiansburg, would not comment Monday because he was not part of the subcommittee that discussed the bill.
Most universities in Virginia require students and employees, other than police, to check their guns with police or campus security upon entering campus. The legislation was designed to prohibit public universities from making "rules or regulations limiting or abridging the ability of a student who possesses a valid concealed handgun permit ... from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun."

The legislation allowed for exceptions for participants in athletic events, storage of guns in residence halls and military training programs.
Last spring a Virginia Tech student was disciplined for bringing a handgun to class, despite having a concealed handgun permit. Some gun owners questioned the university's authority, while the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police came out against the presence of guns on campus.

In June, Tech's governing board approved a violence prevention policy reiterating its ban on students or employees carrying guns and prohibiting visitors from bringing them into campus facilities.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by KBCraig »

flintknapper wrote: http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."
Feelings are important, so I'm glad they felt safe. Right up until they were killed, that is.

:???:

carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by carlson1 »

flintknapper wrote:Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."campus facilities.
WOW! :shock: I wonder what Mr. Hincker has to say today?

GreenGuy

Sad..

Post by GreenGuy »

I’m normally pretty reserved, but this is the proverbial straw that has broken my back. I am going to write my representatives and urge them to remove ALL gun free zones for CHL's.

Military Instillations
School Campuses
Bar's Night Clubs,

either you trust me to carry a weapon and use it for its intended purpose, or you don't.

I'm tired of not having my gun with me when I visit certain places which I can not avoid.

Stupid

Re: Sad..

Post by Stupid »

Yeah, I am going to do the same thing.
GreenGuy wrote:I’m normally pretty reserved, but this is the proverbial straw that has broken my back. I am going to write my representatives and urge them to remove ALL gun free zones for CHL's.

Military Instillations
School Campuses
Bar's Night Clubs,

either you trust me to carry a weapon and use it for its intended purpose, or you don't.

I'm tired of not having my gun with me when I visit certain places which I can not avoid.

D.D.M.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by D.D.M. »

I second GreenGuy's motion.

This should put Anna Nicole Smith "news" on the back burner .......finally :!:

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Stupid wrote:Yeah, I am going to do the same thing.
GreenGuy wrote:I’m normally pretty reserved, but this is the proverbial straw that has broken my back. I am going to write my representatives and urge them to remove ALL gun free zones for CHL's.

Military Instillations
School Campuses
Bar's Night Clubs,

You can't avoid bars?

Texas does not prohibit you from carrying at a military base.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 6

Post by stevie_d_64 »

flintknapper wrote:Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."
Bingo!

See the logic!

"feel" safer...Thats all that matters to these kinds of people...

My sarcastic switch is back off now...

I just wish I had something constructive to say right now...But I just "feel" at a loss...

See how stupid I sound???
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

GreenGuy

Post by GreenGuy »

txinvestigator wrote:

Military Instillations
School Campuses
Bar's Night Clubs,

You can't avoid bars?

There are times when I can not, no. A large majority of the time I can and do, however the example I use is walking the river walk with a group of friends, and they walk into one of the bars, I can either stay outside, which I have, or go in, and grab a coke. I'd prefer to go in and have a coke. If I had planned on drinking, I wouldn't pack. I want to go about my day without wondering where I might end up at the end of the day, as I dress for it in the morning.

Now how do you discren that TX doesn't prevent carry on military installations? The one I frequent has a 30.06 sign posted at the entrace, now surely TX allows it, but the base prevents it using Texas law. Correct??

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 6

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Military Instillations
School Campuses
Bar's Night Clubs,

You forgot government facilities, state capitols, courtrooms...etc etc...I wouldn't want them to "feel" left out...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

GreenGuy wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:

Military Instillations
School Campuses
Bar's Night Clubs,

You can't avoid bars?

There are times when I can not, no. A large majority of the time I can and do, however the example I use is walking the river walk with a group of friends, and they walk into one of the bars, I can either stay outside, which I have, or go in, and grab a coke. I'd prefer to go in and have a coke. If I had planned on drinking, I wouldn't pack. I want to go about my day without wondering where I might end up at the end of the day, as I dress for it in the morning.

Now how do you discren that TX doesn't prevent carry on military installations? The one I frequent has a 30.06 sign posted at the entrace, now surely TX allows it, but the base prevents it using Texas law. Correct??
Texas Law allows private property owners to post 30.06. Texas law does not prohibit carry on military bases. I don't see how you don't get the difference.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”