Shooting at Virginia Tech

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

TheRising

Post by TheRising »

pbandjelly wrote:yeah, how many of those live on campus?
I was talking (once again, I state this, as the point seems to be rather difficult to grasp) about the dorms. people that live in the dorms.
those would be, coincidentally people that live "on-campus."

On Campus
I fully understand what you meant. I went to college and GRADUATED too. My point is that the average age of the students in the dorms shouldn't, and doesn't, matter when it comes to carrying ON CAMPUS. The dorms aren't the only thing on campus and are inconsequential when it comes to the situation and argument about the right to carrying on campus.

I am very passionate about this subject as you can tell. The majority of the people on a college campus are not located in the dorms either, which is why I even commented on your "addendum".

TheRising

Post by TheRising »

KinnyLee wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:It is a sad day indeed for the folks a Virginia Tech. It is also very sad that almost none of the school officials will ever learn from this and it is guaranteed that it will happen again somewhere else.
I couldn't agree more. I have already e-mailed the Director of the Penn State University Police and the President of the University, Graham Spanier. I urge you all to contact your Alumnis' President with this issue.

pbandjelly

Post by pbandjelly »

:banghead:
I yield.

it's like playing hand ball against the drapes.

austin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by austin »

At some UT campuses over half the students are older students.

My wife graduated last year from UT Dallas - she was 32 at the time. I rarely saw students who were in their teens.

I spent a lot of time on campus picking her up and dropping her off. If I had my truck, I had my rifle was with me. Before we got our CHL, many days the pistols were in their cases in either of our cars.

I was in the Army before finishing college. That made me an "older" student. I studied with friends from UT who were former Airborne and Marines. Some lived right by campus. We all had weapons in our cars and in our apartments.

TheYoungGuy

Post by TheYoungGuy »

As a soon-to-be CHL holder and student at the University of Texas at Austin (Read: Liberal-ville), I am outraged, more than usual, that my right to carry on campus is denied. I'd be interested to hear what any of you, especially students, would do if you were allowed to carry and put in the situation those poor VTech students were in today.

Rugrash

Tonight at 7pm on CNN (How this affects gun control)

Post by Rugrash »

Wolf was talking about a segment tonight at 7pm on CNN about how this incident might affect gun control. I don't watch CNN but I think I'll check this out anyway.

-Rug

maximus2161
Posts in topic: 2

Post by maximus2161 »

This is horrible news. Overwhelming loss.

What I dont get is the Blame Game is already going down.

Josh Horwitz, The Executive Director of the Coalition To Stop Gun Violence was already on ABC News saying its too easy to get firearms. I can already hear the anti's getting on this band wagon to restrict firearms again. Why isnt the blame put on the shooter? The first media response is: this is all because of guns in our country caused this tragedy. A gun was involved, yes. We dont even know how it was obtained (ie stolen, legally purchased, etc). I hope this isnt a catalyst for more firearm bans.

There will be time to cast blame. They need to investigate this horrible massacre and allow people to grieve. These "experts" need to back off and allow event and facts to unfold.
Last edited by maximus2161 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbandjelly

Post by pbandjelly »

Thanks ya'll for dragging this thing so far off topic I'm suprised anyone even remembers what we were originally talking about.
and being as you are :deadhorse: but must have the last word, I will leave with this:

If that guy woulda tried this stunt in Tx, somebody similar to one of our forum members, woulda gone out to his Van, and laid him down to sleep.

we should be able to defend ourselves at school.

jimd1981

Post by jimd1981 »

I work with some very technically-oriented, smart people. Degreed professionals, all 30-60 yrs old. Also, it's no secret that I'm a competitive shooter, I have pictures of myself at Camp Perry and some targets mounted on my wall. Today as I was working, a younger co-worker came up to my office and told me about the VT shooting.
"Something's happening at Virginia Tech," he said, then he hummed and hawed as I opened a new site and began reading.
Then started into the whole Gun Control is the answer/Too many handguns/It's the availability of guns that causes this to happen! spiel.

In my most patient tone (really, I have one :smile: ) , I asked him what might have happened if just one of the intended victims, or even a single passerby, was armed. Would -- no could -- that have changed things? Declaring a school or campus a "Gun-Free zone" only guarantees that the homicidal maniac on a rampage doesn't have to worry about return fire.

That actually seemed to stop him for a second, then he recovered with "Well, I guess that's what the NRA wants you to say, isn't it."

"It's a terrible tragedy, Dave, no doubt. Maybe that would have made the difference."
At least he listened, I think. :cry:
What would you have said?

The Marshal

Response to PB&J

Post by The Marshal »

VA had a bill to allow guns on campus that just died in committee without any discussion. VA Tech has a very strict No Gun Policy, and does not allow anyone on campus (!) to have guns.

This is ugly, no matter how you look at it.

For me, my question would be, WHO is responsible for letting 2 hours pass before the shooting started again?
Those responsible for that gross mistake should be held accountable for the 22+ deaths that followed the initial shooting.

Please pray for all involved.

~Bill

TxD

Post by TxD »

Interesting article about a similar situation with a different outcome.

http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/04/01/13/lang.htm

maximus2161
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Response to PB&J

Post by maximus2161 »

The Marshal wrote:
For me, my question would be, WHO is responsible for letting 2 hours pass before the shooting started again?
Those responsible for that gross mistake should be held accountable for the 22+ deaths that followed the initial shooting.

Please pray for all involved.

~Bill
Yea you got that right. I am reading that students interviewed are outraged of how the notification took place. I think VT is going to have a lot to answer for whether its just or not.

TheRising

Post by TheRising »

TxD wrote:Interesting article about a similar situation with a different outcome.

http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/04/01/13/lang.htm
Great article...what a good story, even if it maddenes me that the media is as biased as it is...

I still have not heard one person in print or on TV ask the question "What if one of the student victims had their own gun?"

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by KBCraig »

One of the craziest quotes I saw today was from a student, who said, "I'm from the Middle East. I'm not used to things like this."

:shock:

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by NcongruNt »

I was just talking to my housemates (mostly UT students) about this incident, and what amazed me was that they were trying to put some sort of logic behind the shooter's actions. I told them that there was no way to do such a thing. Someone who is going into a school and shooting dozens of people is obviously not in his right mind. I cited the Charles Whitman shooting here at UT, and that the guy had a brain tumor that made him insane.

I think it's the same with gun control advocates. For some reason, they think a law is going to stop a criminal from breaking it, and it simply won't.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”