My recent experience with Open Carry on my own Property:

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

pbandjelly

Post by pbandjelly »

That's a great story, Frankie.

When I was out in Az this past Oct (helping out my Uncle with Lung Ca), I had not thought about the OC thing, as I was so used to CC. My uncle (as he was prone to do) starts yammering/flirting with a waitress one day and tells her not to give him a hard time, as I am his "bodyguard" and am armed!
I nearly swallowed my tongue!
"Gee Unc, just tell everyone!" :lol: we had a good chuckle, but both the waitress and I were a little uncomfortable! Needless to say, We had a little discussion about that! Even with the OC out there, I still felt better on the whole with just keeping the thang to myself, but knowing that I could take off my jacket, in a restaurant, and not worry about "flashing" was certainly nice!

9mmGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 9mmGuy »

ScubaSigGuy wrote:
longtooth wrote: It amazes folks in the cities that here we have a clearing room in the local gun shop for when we are trading a carry piece.
??? Clearing room?
Yeah at some ranges its the bathroom...
Luck favors the Prepared
G19c, G26, KT P11, Mossberg Mav 88, 10/22

Topic author
John R. Fuller
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John R. Fuller »

Venus Pax wrote:You said you baked that peach cobbler in a dutch oven. Was it a cast iron dutch oven? Did you bake it at 350?
Venus Pax:
I cooked it in a "Lodge" cast iron dutch oven. I used to cook trash can turkey and chicken with galvanized trash cans. My lovely wife gave me a Lodge Dutch Oven for Christmas a couple of years ago, and I've not cooked in a trash can since. I have two ovens now, and I can cook a whole meal with one set of white hot charcoal coals.
I am not the first or the last...

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Venus Pax »

I'm glad to hear you've moved up in the world. :lol:

Sounds like your cobbler was good. I may try that soon.

(I made a cobbler today for guests, but just used a regular baking dish.)
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

shootthesheet
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I DO IT ALL THE TIME

Post by shootthesheet »

txinvestigator wrote:
shootthesheet wrote:Never feel exposed. No more than I do with a long gun as my only protection. I wonder if there are people that feel exposed when hunting because a criminal will know they are armed? Isn't that the same thing? I would think people would feel less vunurabe when open carrying because they can get to the weapon quicker.

It can be better for a criminal to not know someone is armed. In other circumstances the sight of the weapon will deter criminals. It is like trying to choose the right carry ammo, for me. Nothing is perfect so I make an informed decision and am aware of the possabilities.
The hunting comparison is not valid unless you live out in the boonies.
I have no problem with Texans having the choice to OC or OC on their property. There are situations it would be fine and some it wouldn't. I wouldn't want to do it in Downtown Austin because of the crowd. But, most of us don't live in cities and I for one seldom visit them. For us, the majority of gun owners, we should have the option IMO. Each to his own. And, yes, I live in "the boonies". Don't think because of it we don't have nuts here too. We are just able to see them from further away than those in the city do. :lol:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”