Advice on new AR

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
djwdjw
Posts in topic: 4

Advice on new AR

Post by djwdjw »

I have been thinking about a basic but quality .223 AR-style for my Dad for Xmas and in light of recent events I am wondering if I have waited too long. As was with the ammunition shortages a few years ago, prices soared and inventories shrunk, and semi-organized hoarding was the order of the day.

Can anyone pass along any suggestions on sourcing (I am in DFW) on new preferably. I don't think he would care much RR, Colt, S&W, DPMS, but it would be a nice surprise.

Any suggestions so as to not overpay, or chase my tail, and maybe make Xmas?

Thanks.

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Advice on new AR

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Good luck getting one before CHRISTmas for anything close to retail.

Topic author
djwdjw

Post by djwdjw »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:Good luck getting one before CHRISTmas for anything close to retail.
Pretty much where I had resigned myself. Feel free to PM me as I don't move too fast :)

Dreamliner

Post by Dreamliner »

If you were in Houston, I'd say check out Cypress Armory in NW Houston. They had a lot of varying types of ARs in stock at reasonable prices. Not sure if they got slammed today by the rush but you can check.

XDSConcealer

Post by XDSConcealer »

Not that this will help much but also in the Houston area, Tactical Firearms, had a pretty good stock when I was there not too long ago. I also felt their prices were reasonable. Not sure if recent events have made them hike up the prices but worth a call to them. Perhaps they'd be willing to do a FFL transfer.

Gun Broker is another option but I've noticed the prices spiking a bit. I bought a SIG 516 about 2 weeks ago off of Gun Broker and just got it a few days ago. Great rifle!

Good luck in your search. It will be challenging to find one in 5 days but if you're going to do it you better be quick as I fear the anti-guns are going to get their way this time around.
8/13 - Mailed Packet
9/4 - DPS Received Packet, BG under Review
9/20-9/22 - Manufacturing Pending, Manufacturing, Mailed
9/29 - Plastic in hand

Topic author
djwdjw

Post by djwdjw »

Thanks for the info. GB is up quite a bit, but there are a few locals that could fit into the time frame.

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

You could try here:

http://www.gtdist.com/SearchResults.asp ... gory=GUNAM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In Austin and I think they have a store in DFW area too.

Dallas, Tx Showroom

Physical Address
12610 Perimeter Drive
Dallas, TX 75228
TSRA Life Memeber

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Buddy of mine decided to go looking tonight, his text to me: No ARs at Cabelas in Fort Worth or Academy in Grapevine as of tonight.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

With CIC calling for a January ban, I think you missed the bus. It's not going to stop me for trying but it's going to be thin.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

I haven't called or been in the store since last Thursday, but you might try Ray's Hardware and Sporting goods in Dallas on Singleton Blvd. call the store, the online store is out of stock for most rifles, but they had a large selection last week (FWIW).
NRA Life Member

Ericstac

Post by Ericstac »

Go to academy and ask the gun clerk for an AR. I was there yesterday and overheard the group discussing ARs. Apparently they put the guns in the back so they couldn't be seen and they were not to discuss the EBRs at all. Yesterday, they were talking abut how they can begin talking about them but to be aware of who can over hear what is being said. So I'm betting today you could buy one just has to be done discretely..

Silent Professional

Post by Silent Professional »

I wouldn't buy any of the big name AR's right now. Truth is, there's about 3-4 manufacturers that make 90+ percent of all of the uppers and lowers and about a half a dozen barrel manufacturers that make commercial grade barrels for the entire industry, so it doesn't matter what name is stamped on the side, in the current climate everyone is slapping parts together and shipping them without even test firing.

I've had good luck with DoubleStar out of Kentucky. During the last "black gun panic" I had to source 12 M4s for the company I worked for. Doublestar came through in 3 weeks and didn't gouge us on the price (actually charged us dealer price). Everyone else (the big names) said it would be at least 4 - 6 months and quoted prices higher than retail! The guns were very well built - you could tell whomever assembled them knew how AR's worked and wasn't just grabbing parts out of a bin.

Ah, the Clinton high-cap gun ban - President Clinton sold more guns and ammo than any other President. Why do I sense that record is about to be broken?
"Out of one hundred men on the battlefield, eighty should not even be here. Ten are nothing more than targets.
Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them, They the battle make. Ah, but the one.
One is a warrior and he will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus, 500 B.C.

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

The AR's were flying off the shelf into buyer's hands at my LGS yesterday. When I entered the store there were seven on the shelf. By the time I left there was only one available for purchase. The LGS had a good day!
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

sodchemist
Banned

Post by sodchemist »

Howdy. On Friday, I just picked up a Colt M4 6920 for 1490$ at Love's Guns in Belton. This is probably 300$ more than I would have spent before the panic, but I attribute it to a small insurance premium (that I'm willing to pay!). The shop is on 6th Ave, right off the 35. They had several bushmasters and dpms on the shelf, and some smith and wesson Ar's. They are nice people. Its about 40 min south of Waco. I would drive on down!

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”