Sample letters for representatives

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cubbyjg
Posts in topic: 2

Sample letters for representatives

Post by cubbyjg »

Ive never felt a need to email a representative until now considering all the talk about stricter gun control or all out AWB. Does anyone have any sample letters they are willing to share so I, as well as others, can get an idea or two? I know there are individuals on this forum that have much better writing skills than i do when it comes to this particular subject who have done it several times in their lifetime and most likely received an actual response back. Ive seen a sticky on the ar15.com forum where sample letters have been posted and if there is one on this forum i must be missing it because i havent seen anything. I appreciate the help. Now if i could only find a bcg...
Hook'em Horns!
Class of 2007

“I am actually for gun control. Use both hands." - Gov. Rick Perry

urnoodle

Re: Sample letters for representatives

Post by urnoodle »

Here's what I sent yesterday. It's not very eloquent but what I felt I needed to say.

Ms Hutchison,
I'm sadden to see our government's knee jerk reaction to the recent tragedy in Connecticut. The solution isn't nor has it ever been more gun control. The solution is reducing the sensationalism the media brings to these tragedies and working to better recognize when on is suffering from a mental health issue. Lets educate others so that less stigma is associated with mental health issues and behavioral disorders so our troubled children are not cast aside. We should be addressing the root of the problem by providing better treatment options not applying a band-aid called gun control. Adam Lanza's was no different than his predecessors. He was invisible and he suffered from an autism spectrum disorder by all accounts. The media's continual broadcasts of James Holmes sent a message to another troubled young adult that an invisible person can and will be seen and remembered. The old axiom associated with P.T Barnum, "No publicity is bad publicity" is fitting here. Adam Lanza's parents, educators, medical professionals and media representatives failed him. He learned from those that preceded him and the media has now set the stage for his successor. So I implore you, when more gun control legislation comes up for a vote, think about the constitution and why it was written. Honor our second amendment right by saying 'no' to more gun control. Our founding fathers did not write this amendment lightly. If we don't learn from history, then we are destined to repeat it. Take one freedom away all the others will follow suit soon after.
Thank you.

Here's the response from her office:
Dear Friend:
Thank you for contacting me regarding the terrible tragedy in Connecticut. Like all Americans, my thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

As our whole nation grieves, we wait for more information about the killer's motives and means. We all want to do something to halt such senseless killings, but the question is always what law could have stopped an individual apparently so determined to commit such violent and destructive acts.

I join you in the hope that we never again encounter such a tragedy and will certainly keep your thoughts in mind.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison
United States Senator

284 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
202-224-5922 (tel)
202-224-0776 (fax)
http://hutchison.senate.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
`
U R Noodle
CHL since 1/26/2012 - 41 days mailbox to mailbox

leftyonly

Post by leftyonly »

Wrote all three of mine yesterday...short and to the point...

Honorable XXXX, I am writing you to express my concern that lawmakers are going to use the recent tragedy in Newtown, CT to take unconstitutional actions that are in express violation of the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States. As you know the Second Amendment reads: "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." This is a clear mandate from our founding fathers that should be no more open to interpretation than the First Amendment. The First Amendment is held sacred by the media and defended voraciously in the courts. The Second Amendment deserves the same reverence. I am sincerely requesting that you vote to uphold the full power of the Constitution, including the Second Amendment, as the upcoming session bring forth a flurry of unconstitutional legislation relating to the rights of Americans to bear arms.

The response from Hutchison is a canned, auto-generated response...I got the exact same...

Richard

74novaman
Posts in topic: 6

Post by 74novaman »

Here's what I wrote.

In light of the recent Sandy Hook school shooting, some in the media and Congress have begun calling for gun control. I urge you to fight against any such restriction on the rights of law abiding Americans. The loss of life in Connecticut was tragic and saddened us all. But more gun laws are not the answer.

The largest school killing in the United States was committed using bombs in 1927 in Bath, Michigan. Terrorists were able to kill hundreds using box cutters on September 11, 2001. China has incredibly strict gun control, and a series of knife and hammer attacks left 21 dead and 90 injured from 2010-2011. More Americans are killed every year by drunk drivers than guns, yet we haven't strengthened our laws against drunk driving, or restricted people's ability to drive cars. I'd like to think that last part is because a sane person recognizes that punishing lawful, sober drivers for the acts of drunks is wrong. I'm not sure why the same logic doesn't apply to gun owners.

Connecticut has very strict gun laws in place and is ranked 5th best in the nation on gun control laws by the Brady Campaign, an organization dedicated to reducing and eliminating private gun ownership. The psychopath killer who murdered those kids did not legally acquire guns himself, so he murdered his mom and stole hers. If she hadn't owned guns, he probably would have murdered a neighbor or a friend's family instead to acquire them. Since 1950, there has been only one mass shooting that did not occur in a place that restricts the lawful carrying of concealed weapons. If you truly want to fix this problem, work to eliminate "gun free zones", which should more accurately be called "Free Killing of defenseless victims zones"

Blaming the tool instead of the wielder is wrong. A gun didn't murder those kids. A sick and twisted individual carried out that act, and if he hadn't been able to use a gun he would have used a bomb, or a knife, or fire. Millions of American gun owners use their firearms for lawful activities like home defense every day. We should look at eliminating "gun free zones", which only stop those who obey the law. Perhaps an examination of our mental health system is in order as well. But restricting the rights of American gun owners would be like taking sober drivers keys away because drunk drivers kill people.

If you personally support any measures that restrict the gun rights of law abiding Americans, I solemnly promise to donate my time and money to ensuring you are not reelected. Please remember the midterm elections of 1994, where those who supported the feel good, do nothing "Assault Weapons Ban" were voted out of office. If your party compromises on gun rights, I solemnly promise not to support it with my time or money going forward. I have been a staunch Republican since I reached voting age, but if the party caves on such a critical issue, I will support third party candidates with both my time and money going forward.

Please do the right thing. Oppose any knee jerk, reactionary gun control that will only hurt law abiding citizens and won't stop criminals or murderers.

Thank you,

*I left off the greeting/closing so you can modify it as needed. Also, if you're not a "staunch Republican", you might need to edit that part at the end. Other than that, it should be fairly standard stuff. Feel free to take part or all of it and send it to whoever. Please get in touch with people about this! I just sent this to both of our Senators and my US Rep.*
TANSTAAFL

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

74novaman wrote:Since 1950, there has been only one mass shooting that did not occur in a place that restricts the lawful carrying of concealed weapons.
What attack are you referring to?
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

sjfcontrol wrote:
74novaman wrote:Since 1950, there has been only one mass shooting that did not occur in a place that restricts the lawful carrying of concealed weapons.
What attack are you referring to?
The attack on Gabby Giffords wasn't done in a "gun free zone". John Lott did the work on this one, you can check out his interview with NPR at his website: http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/
TANSTAAFL

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

Mine (one of many - I realize she isn't the first choice...)

Sen. Hutchison,

I am a full time police officer in the Brazos Valley. I am writing concerning the recent hysteria and opportunity created by the tragedy in Newton. You may remember, that we recently lost one of our local Constables to a shooting by a mentally ill subject armed with a weapon many would falsely consider an "assault rifle." Many of the officers that responded that day, including many from our agency, carried personally owned AR-15 patterned rifles to bring in to that situation. Our agency allows and encourages officers to use personally owned ARs, as do many across the country.

In my line of work, I deal with armed persons quite regularly. I would like to express my concern and fear with the legislation I have read about on Diane Feinstein's website. The weapons that criminals are obtaining to use are not procured through the existing legal channels. My fear is that in an attempt to DO SOMETHING in response to the evil acts in Newton, such legislation will merely limit legitimately owned weapons, including many owned by me, officers at my agency, and law abiding citizens.

Furthermore, I absolutely feel that an average, law-abiding, citizen has a need for these AR patterned rifles. In the shooting in our city, a CHL holder engaged the mentally deranged person with only a pistol, trying to keep him behind cover and not shooting. Perpetrators of such violent acts will not limit their targets to school children and police officers. This is an increasing threat that citizens need to be able to answer - especially with the border violence spewing into our state.

I forsee bans being proposed limiting magazine capacities. If I am to patrol the public streets, and I am issued 15-17 rounds per magazine, I would offer that the same threats exist to every day law abiding citizens. As such, they should be allowed the same magazine capacity to meet them in the same manner my LEO partners and I can.

Sen Hutchinson, I ask of that you please support these ideals in the face what appears to be ineffective knee jerk legislation, and instead focus on increasing care for the mentally ill.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Post by 77346 »

for those of you writing to Sen. Hutchinson, I suggest you write to Ted Cruz as well...
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

HenryAKirk

Post by HenryAKirk »

74novaman wrote:Here's what I wrote.

In light of the recent Sandy Hook school shooting,...Please do the right thing. Oppose any knee jerk, reactionary gun control that will only hurt law abiding citizens and won't stop criminals or murderers.

Thank you,

:patriot: I hope you dont mind but I really liked your letter and shared it with the Texas Concealed Carry group on Facebook. It's a good group of folks. :txflag:
:patriot: Everyone has been given a gift in life...And warriors have been given the gift of aggression.These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs Lt. Col. Dave Grossman :txflag:

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

HenryAKirk wrote: :patriot: I hope you dont mind but I really liked your letter and shared it with the Texas Concealed Carry group on Facebook. It's a good group of folks. :txflag:
I don't mind at all. Use all of it, use part of it, rewrite it...I just care that more people are engaging with the Congress Critters and telling them what we expect from them. :txflag:

ETA: I went ahead and joined that group too. Looks cool. :coolgleamA:
Last edited by 74novaman on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TANSTAAFL

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

77346 wrote:for those of you writing to Sen. Hutchinson, I suggest you write to Ted Cruz as well...
I tried but am having a hard time finding his senator elect website
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

powerboatr wrote:
77346 wrote:for those of you writing to Sen. Hutchinson, I suggest you write to Ted Cruz as well...
I tried but am having a hard time finding his senator elect website
Not to mention I have a hard time believing that Ted Cruz would compromise on gun rights. Hutchinson on the other hand is on her way out, so in my opinion is more likely to make a silly decision.
TANSTAAFL

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

74novaman and gigag04, those were both excellent letters.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Post by 77346 »

I don't think Cruz has an official "senator" site up yet, but I sent my thoughts via his campaign site: http://www.tedcruz.org/contact-us/

I have also contacted State Rep Huberty & State Senator Whitmire as well as House Rep. Ted Poe & Senator Cornyn.
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”