My recent experience with Open Carry on my own Property:

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
John R. Fuller
Posts in topic: 2

My recent experience with Open Carry on my own Property:

Post by John R. Fuller »

I want to begin this message with the understanding that I am armed at all times at home whether open or concealed. Sometimes I carry open to facilitate gettings things done faster without worrying if I am printing or not.

Once I leave the boudaries of my property, I am legal and concealed. I do not compromise on that, just because that is the law of the land for now.

The other night I was openly armed with a Keltec P11 on my hip while inside the house. A couple of Morman Missionaries called on my home, and as is my custom I invited them in and shared some hospitality. I am a Christian, and I feel it is my duty to try to convert Mormans as much as it is for Mormans to convert me.

To the young men's credit, they did not get upset at my armed status, and we passed a wonderful evening studying the Bible and discussing World and Religious history. We did this also as I shared my Peach Cobler, that I just finished cooking in my dutch oven.

I critiqued myself and tactical status after the men left. One of the things that I remember the most was how exposed I felt while carrying openly. I realize it was on my property and my house.

One thing is obvious about open carrying. Your weapon is exposed not only to observation, but at a percieved, by me, a greater risk of having it taken from me. I am a big guy, but things can and will happen that are not expected. The threat level from two missionaries is almost nothing as far as physical security is concerned.

If these young men were not who they identified themselves as, then I would be on the eight ball to take action while at arms length in my own home. There is no where else to retreat, and my family is right there as well. I am curious as to others experiences on this board about open carrying while on their own property with guests.
I am not the first or the last...

RedRaider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RedRaider »

Putting the open carrying discussion aside, I'm not sure I would let any stranger in my house whom I do not know, just my opinion..........they would simply get a firm "I'm not interested" from me, assuming I open the door in the first place.

JRG

Post by JRG »

RedRaider wrote:Putting the open carrying discussion aside, I'm not sure I would let any stranger in my house whom I do not know, just my opinion..........they would simply get a firm "I'm not interested" from me, assuming I open the door in the first place.
I, too, am a Christian, but have never allowed a Mormon missionary twosome or a Jehovah's Witness couple into my house. Once I find out what they are peddling, I send them on their way with an "Thanks, but no thanks and have a nice day"

JRG

Paladin

Re: My recent experience with Open Carry on my own Property:

Post by Paladin »

John R. Fuller wrote:I am curious as to others experiences on this board about open carrying while on their own property with guests.
Somebody can make a weapon grab very quickly, and people not knowing you are armed gives you a surprise advantage... so I favor concealment.

Around the house or in the yard I tend to still carry concealed... I'm just not as careful about it.

I usually only let family members or close friends know I'm armed. Many times family doesn't even know.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

pbandjelly

Re: My recent experience with Open Carry on my own Property:

Post by pbandjelly »

John R. Fuller wrote:I am a Christian, and I feel it is my duty to try to convert Mormans as much as it is for Mormans to convert me.
You do realize this is a contradiction, considering that Mormonism is indeed Christianity (look at the name: The Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints).
hmmmm.

I'm not a religious sandwich, so I will digress.
I think, under every circumstance, you have to rely on your gut feeling. I believe, that if you felt compromised, or felt your "spidey senses" tingling, then you certainly would have responded differently.
as far as the OC thing (not peppa spray), well, you just have to guard it. Retention devices help, but your brain is the best retention device, IMO.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 4

Post by longtooth »

At the house I shuck my cover as soon as I get home. Grandkids pay it no attention.
I have had 2 experiences lately & both are on the opposite end of the stick from John.
Friday before Easter a lady delivered 2 Easter basket of candy & eggs for the grandones. Wife buys them one every year from the same lady. They have been friends a long time.
I am sitting at the table eating when she arrives. My Springer 5" stainless OWB in black holster. White T-shirt & blue jeans. She is on my strong side & we say hidy-dos & she visits w/ the wife for a while. No hint of notice. If so it was as it should be. I had a shirt on at the table, that is expected at my house. I had my gun on at the table. It ought to be expected.
Some months ago one of the wife's nephews & his wife, (both very upper mid West Liberal) were traveling through here & wanted a night stop. I decided not to change anything. I was IWB at the time & a dark print shirt. My Kimber Pro has Cocobolo grips so it was not a real flash. We ate & visited in the living room. The normal ups & downs for coffee cookies, bathroom breaks, as takes place when family is together. I know they never noticed.
Lesson:
Most folks do not notice.
Leave it alone & dont fix or adjust it & you will almost never be noticed.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txinvestigator »

Mr. Fuller, tactical considerations aside, you are a good man and good stewert.

The only time I open carry is at the range. As a cop, I open carried daily. Then I wore a level 3 holster and was trainied in retention.

I still prefer at least a level 1 holster.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

glockmav

Post by glockmav »

I alway carry at home, and I may take the cover off when I get there, but if sheeple come by I usually conceal. One reason is the gun grab possibility, the other is the fewer people that know, the better. If my neighbor comes by and sees me carrying at home, next time I see her in the grocery store she might ask if I'm carrying. I'd just rather not go there.
"Take what you have with what your are, make something of it, and NEVER be satisfied." G.W. Carver

ShootingStar

Post by ShootingStar »

John,

I like what Paladin said as it gives you the advantage tactically. However, it is Your house. I commend you in trying to share the truth with them. When I found out some of the things they believed, and call themselves Christians, I could not come to the conclusion that they are just another denomination of Christianity. I have NO animosity toward them, None. However, if you go to the Dr do you expect him to tell you the truth or say something that makes you feel good as you leave?

pbandjelly, I could start my own church, just like Joseph Smith did with the mormons, and call it anything I wanted to. There is nothing in a name, there is something in what you actually believe. Christians from all denominations may differ on some subjects, but they all believe in Salvation through Faith in Jesus Christ alone or, according to the Bible, they are not Christians. Christians do not put their faith in some temple ritual, wearing some magic underwear, that God will make you god of your own planet some day, or that black people are the descendants of Ham who was cursed and cannot be a priest in their church. The list goes on. The only thing I have against them is that they are teaching a False gospel and anyone who attempts to tell them has my deepest respect.
God Bless,
--SS
A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. A Republic is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision. - Benjamin Franklin

pbandjelly

Post by pbandjelly »

:lol:
while we can continue to rant off-topic, and chastise members of other religions (to what avail?), I would like to re-direct this back OT.

The point is, you felt comfortable inviting them in, they didn't make a "move," and we've all learned something about holsters.

I think this would be a good place for some retention drills. anyone?

9mmGuy

Post by 9mmGuy »

hey TxI whats this level of holster you speak of??
Luck favors the Prepared
G19c, G26, KT P11, Mossberg Mav 88, 10/22

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

ShootingStar wrote:pbandjelly, I could start my own church, just like Joseph Smith did with the mormons, and call it anything I wanted to. There is nothing in a name, there is something in what you actually believe. Christians from all denominations may differ on some subjects, but they all believe in Salvation through Faith in Jesus Christ alone or, according to the Bible, they are not Christians. --SS
Very good - it is either Works or Faith - and Works will not take you anywhere you want to go;-)

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

9mmGuy wrote:hey TxI whats this level of holster you speak of??
A level 1 holster has at least one active level of retention, such as a thumb strap, or like the Blackhawk Serpa with the button on the holster that must be depressed to release the handgun.

A Level 2 holster has two types of retention. Typical is one with a thumb snap AND a required cant or twist of the handgun to release the weapon.

A Level 3 has 3 levels of retention. A common type has two snaps, like a thumb and finger snap, and a cant or twist of the firearm required to release it.

Blackhawk is incorrectly labeling their Serpa as a level 2 and the Serpa Auto Lock as a level 3. They are actually one level less.

A holster that only retains the weapon by tension is NOT a level 1 holster.

Examples of level 1 holsters;

Example of Level 2; It looks like a 1, but in addition to the rotating hood some type of twist or cant is required.

Level 3, the snap on the body of the holster is a dummy. There is a thumb snap and another snap, and a cant is required.

*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

9mmGuy

Post by 9mmGuy »

Ok thank you. now i know. :cool:
Luck favors the Prepared
G19c, G26, KT P11, Mossberg Mav 88, 10/22

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Regarding the original topic, I think that if you felt comfortable, then that was what is best for you.
Like LT said, most people don't even notice, especiallly if it's a kel-tec. Prior to my CHL, I would have never noticed. Even now, someone would have to open carry or make it obvious.

Personally, I wouldn't. I'm not a large person, and I can't fight. I like being my own Trojan Horse. I don't want them to have any idea of my status if they have an attack on their minds.

Having said that, most friends and acquaintances know I carry. I wish fewer people knew, but I can't unring that bell.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”