Instructors with weapons

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Seabear
Posts in topic: 4

Instructors with weapons

Post by Seabear »

I have seen many videos of different types of firearms instructors, and I have noticed that many wear an exposed pistol on their hip. I don't do that because I am teaching "CONCEALED" Handgun Class. Heck I usually have a few students that will ask if I am carrying because they can't tell if I am or not. Sometimes we'll make a bit of a game out of it and take a show of hands to see how many think I am carrying at the end of the day when we go to the range.

So, my question is this. Do any of you carry in the open while teaching ?

Just to be clear, I don't and don't want to.

I know one instructor that has a retired deputy stand guard in his classes "for their safety". :headscratch
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Instructors with weapons

Post by MasterOfNone »

Always concealed. As you said, that's what we're teaching.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

I am concealed too.
I have actually had one student that was an NRA Instructor take issue w/ that.
NRA rules say it takes 3 things for an AD (I call them NDs). Gun, ammo & people. Ammo is the only one you can teach w/o so no live ammo in the room. :banghead:

I told him a true story that verifies my signature line. Carry 24-7or guess right.

Got to my classroom one Sat & was unloading. Went back to the truck for 2nd carry in load & as I stepped out the door I saw 2 PD cars in the lot. Stopped & looked real good. Another SO cruiser was there. Sheriffs Deputy & one Police officer were watching 5 men "setting crosslegged & separated by about 15feet each. 3rd PD was searching the car. Before I finished unloading the Photo stuff a DPS joined them.

Necked in class aint gonna happen here either. :thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

When working as an RSO with CHL classes I carry concealed. The only time that I may expose my weapon is in class during discussion on types of holsters and show how the Crossbreed SuperTuck with v-clips virtually is undetectable.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Seabear

Post by Seabear »

Longtooth, we have a lot in common. :cheers2:

I call them NDs too, and I ALWAYS carry When and where it is legal. Heck I wouldn't dream of going to set up for class without carrying. I normally stop by a convenience store about 6:00am for ice and bottled water etc, then I head to the range where I teach and I am the only one there till people start showing up an hour later. (sounds like you could have had a scary encounter if the PD had not been there)

My carry weapon stays concealed during class, and I don't do demos with a real pistol I use an airsoft. I always check that it is clear, and make my students notice that even though it is a "toy" and I know it is empty, I still check, and I NEVER point it at anyone or anything except the B27 on the wall.

There is a new instructor here that has all the NRA certifications, so I understand your comment. LOL Nothing wrong with NRA instructors, I know some really good ones, but that guy's comment was just silly.

Topic author
Seabear

Post by Seabear »

Keith B wrote:When working as an RSO with CHL classes I carry concealed. The only time that I may expose my weapon is in class during discussion on types of holsters and show how the Crossbreed SuperTuck with v-clips virtually is undetectable.

Keith, I have done that exact same thing a couple times when someone asked about it. I have pulled my shirt up to show how well it works, but never draw. Like you said it is normally when there is a discussion about it or a question and answer session.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

Seabear wrote:Longtooth, we have a lot in common. :cheers2:

I call them NDs too, and I ALWAYS carry When and where it is legal. Heck I wouldn't dream of going to set up for class without carrying. I normally stop by a convenience store about 6:00am for ice and bottled water etc, then I head to the range where I teach and I am the only one there till people start showing up an hour later. (sounds like you could have had a scary encounter if the PD had not been there)

My carry weapon stays concealed during class, and I don't do demos with a real pistol I use an airsoft. I always check that it is clear, and make my students notice that even though it is a "toy" and I know it is empty, I still check, and I NEVER point it at anyone or anything except the B27 on the wall.

There is a new instructor here that has all the NRA certifications, so I understand your comment. LOL Nothing wrong with NRA instructors, I know some really good ones, but that guy's comment was just silly.

My demo gun in class is a wood one that is visibly evident cut out of wood like a little kid would play w/

Yes I watched that one real close & was glad they were gone by the time students started arriving.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

Seabear wrote:I have seen many videos of different types of firearms instructors, and I have noticed that many wear an exposed pistol on their hip. I don't do that because I am teaching "CONCEALED" Handgun Class. Heck I usually have a few students that will ask if I am carrying because they can't tell if I am or not. Sometimes we'll make a bit of a game out of it and take a show of hands to see how many think I am carrying at the end of the day when we go to the range.

So, my question is this. Do any of you carry in the open while teaching ?

Just to be clear, I don't and don't want to.
That's your choice. Other people make different choices.

Some firearms instructors teach handgun marksmanship classes. Some teach tactics classes. Some teach rifle classes. Etc. If you want to carry concealed while teaching a CHL class that's your prerogative. However, an instructor teaching a 3 day advanced class is not obligated to conceal on the range. He may not even be obligated to conceal off the range in states like Arizona.

Topic author
Seabear

Post by Seabear »

[quote="bayouhazardThat's your choice. Other people make different choices.

Some firearms instructors teach handgun marksmanship classes. Some teach tactics classes. Some teach rifle classes. Etc. If you want to carry concealed while teaching a CHL class that's your prerogative. However, an instructor teaching a 3 day advanced class is not obligated to conceal on the range. He may not even be obligated to conceal off the range in states like Arizona.[/quote]

Sure, I'm talking about in the classroom, not the range in particular. I'm also mainly talking about CHL.

If I am teaching someone on the range, I'll have a pistol on so I can demonstrate what I am trying to teach them rather than handing their gun back and forth. Just makes more sense and is safer.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

As bad as this may sound. I don't carry in class. 1st reason is I hold my classes in a school. 2nd reason is I use a "firearm" to demonstrate carry options, concealment, etc. I don't want to get them mixed up so I use an airsoft gun and leave my carry weapon in the truck.

May sound hypocritical and it may be. I just don't want to screw up and do something stupid. If I taught in a different location I might have my carry weapon in my file box or somewhere but I still wouldn't wear it.

In our instructors class the officiers didn't wear their sidearms for this reason (they were asked). Sound judgement in my eyes.

I do find myself obeying all the same rules of safety. I have even been known to drop the mag and "clear" the chamber on the airsoft gun without thinking about it until I realize I can't see inside of the fake plastic, painted on "chamber". I feel kind of silly but then again I don't. I couldn't even shoot the gun if I wanted to. My son moved out of the house a couple of years ago and took all the pellets with him. :cryin

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

NRA instructors know "No guns in classroom unless part of the class." Basically that means First Steps stuff. For our Rifle and Pistol classes, we used some semi-realistic squirt guns. (In the classroom, not on the range :mrgreen: )
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

It's pretty common in advanced classes.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Rat-30

Post by Rat-30 »

Concealed as part of my routine.

Exposed when the training dictates - not for the CHL class...
All the best,

John

Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Member
Visit our website at: http://www.kfatx.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Art S

Post by Art S »

MasterOfNone wrote:Always concealed. As you said, that's what we're teaching.
:iagree:

I have exposed my handgun and holster in CHL only class during discussion on types of holsters and conceal ability. If for some reason I removed my gun from holster, it would be pointed in safe direction and unloaded immediately.
Did you learn something new today and did you smile? if not, why?

Have a Great One,
Art S.

jjordan@fpctx.edu

Post by jjordan@fpctx.edu »

Always concealed. That is what I teach my class. I wear the firearm at the range but I teach on a college campus, so I do not wear it to class.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”