Beams, beams, beams

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
packina45
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Beams, beams, beams

Post by packina45 »

G26ster wrote:What's missing from this conversation is that lasers are not replacements for iron sights. They are best when used when positioning/situation does not allow for the accurate use of iron sights. One should practice with both iron sights and laser sights if you have a laser on your weapon. If you are using iron sights, and the laser is on, you should not be able to see the dot on your target, once your iron sights are lined up, if the laser is properly zeroed. It will be masked by the front sight. If you are using the laser alone, and are distracted by the dancing dot, you have likely waited far too long to fire. Real life and death situations are not range target shooting situations. MHO and $.02.
:iagree:

Friends, we aren't talking bullseye competition, we're talking staying alive. If your focus in a firing solution goes beyond the front sight, you have the wrong mindset.

One hundred percent focus on the front sight. Centered on the body mass of the threat. Squeeze. Trigger reset. Repeat as needed. FUNDAMENTALS. That's how you survive a gunfight.
CHL timeline: 43 days mailbox to mailbox

Salty1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Salty1 »

packina45 wrote:
Salty1 wrote:Many good points are made on this topic, one that may have ben missed is that many guns are not truly functional at certain ranges due to the lack of proper sights. The LCP comes to mind, how many people would be willing to take a 50 foot shot with an LCP? ....
Why would you want to carry a "defensive" pistol that doesn't have functional sights? (And that's without even going into the .380 as a defensive round. I consider it somewhere between "stern words" and a 9mm "rlol" )

Sorry, but if it doesn't have usable sights, it's worthless in my book.
First of all I do not own an LCP nor would I ever, shot 3 rounds through one and put it down as I consider it the worst handgun I have ever shot. It is a good example of a handgun that to be effective over 20 feet would require a laser. I think you should go do some research on defensive handguns, the most popular handgun carried today is some sort of 5 shot snubby revolver, none that I know of actually have real sights on them as they are made mostly for close encounters. Many people buy what they can afford and conceal based on their body type. I am happy that they are willing to protect themselves no matter what caliber and would not knock their choice.

I stand by the thoughts that there is a place for lasers, maybe not for everybody but those who see a value in them should go with their instincts with lots of practice with and without the laser activated.

The best thing is many people do not care what is in your book or mine as they get to write their own and do what they feel is best for them without so-called internet experts telling them what is right or wrong. My LCR with the CT grips is easily a very accurate 50 foot plus gun. Without the CT it will hit at 50 feet but not so accuratly and not as quickly, I do not suscribe to the spray and pray concept and want to know where each and every round is going to hit.
Salty1

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jim Beaux »

Salty1 wrote:
packina45 wrote:
Salty1 wrote:Many good points are made on this topic, one that may have ben missed is that many guns are not truly functional at certain ranges due to the lack of proper sights. The LCP comes to mind, how many people would be willing to take a 50 foot shot with an LCP? ....
Why would you want to carry a "defensive" pistol that doesn't have functional sights? (And that's without even going into the .380 as a defensive round. I consider it somewhere between "stern words" and a 9mm "rlol" )

Sorry, but if it doesn't have usable sights, it's worthless in my book.
First of all I do not own an LCP nor would I ever, shot 3 rounds through one and put it down as I consider it the worst handgun I have ever shot. It is a good example of a handgun that to be effective over 20 feet would require a laser. I think you should go do some research on defensive handguns, the most popular handgun carried today is some sort of 5 shot snubby revolver, none that I know of actually have real sights on them as they are made mostly for close encounters. Many people buy what they can afford and conceal based on their body type. I am happy that they are willing to protect themselves no matter what caliber and would not knock their choice.

I stand by the thoughts that there is a place for lasers, maybe not for everybody but those who see a value in them should go with their instincts with lots of practice with and without the laser activated.

The best thing is many people do not care what is in your book or mine as they get to write their own and do what they feel is best for them without so-called internet experts telling them what is right or wrong. My LCR with the CT grips is easily a very accurate 50 foot plus gun. Without the CT it will hit at 50 feet but not so accuratly and not as quickly, I do not suscribe to the spray and pray concept and want to know where each and every round is going to hit.
:iagree:

One of the best responses on this thread. Whatever works for you is the answer.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

glbedd53
Posts in topic: 3

Post by glbedd53 »

Yep, and the laser works.

smoothoperator
Posts in topic: 1

Post by smoothoperator »

Beams, beams, beams, they're good for your gun.
The more you shoot, the more they're fun.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”