"Waiting Room"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 16

Re: "Waiting Room"

Post by TexasCajun »

Jeff[/quote]

Thanks Jeff, now i'm really discouraged! :sad:
I sent my packet in the week after you. I was hoping the status would be updated this week. Guess not. :cryin
I have been checking 3-5 times/day. I'm the optimistic type. ;-)[/quote]

I think the DPS only updates the site once per day. Not sure what time. I used to check it in the morning.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

jayinsat
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jayinsat »

TexasCajun wrote:Jeff
I sent my packet in the week after you. I was hoping the status would be updated this week. Guess not. :cryin
I have been checking 3-5 times/day. I'm the optimistic type. ;-)[/quote]

I think the DPS only updates the site once per day. Not sure what time. I used to check it in the morning.[/quote]
But what if they updated in the afternoon, or early evening, or 8:23 pm? I would miss it. :shock: Maybe I should check hourly :???:
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

I found the wait time to be more beneficial when I researched equipment (belt, holsters, mag carriers, etc), conceal tactics, dry-fire practice routines, pistols, and anything else I could do that would prepare me for the day when I finally had plastic in-hand. But ymmv. Good luck to you & congrats (again, if I've already extended congrats to you) on taking the action to excercise one of your constitutional rights.

Alucard75
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Alucard75 »

jayinsat wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:Jeff
I have been checking 3-5 times/day. I'm the optimistic type. ;-)
I think the DPS only updates the site once per day. Not sure what time. I used to check it in the morning.[/quote]
But what if they updated in the afternoon, or early evening, or 8:23 pm? I would miss it. :shock: Maybe I should check hourly :???:[/quote]

Don't be. I felt that way until this morning around 9 am CST. My status just changed to pending background review. I am guessing at least another two weeks before I see any updates.
09/22/12 - CHL class completed
09/23/12 - Online application
09/25/12 - Mailed completed packet
09/28/12 - Packet received
10/01/12 - Fingerprinting
10/16/12 - Bg pending
10/23/12 - Bg complete
10/23/12 - Manufacturing pending
10/24/12 - Manufacturing
10/25/12 - Mailed
10/31/12 - Plastic in hand

sobrnola
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sobrnola »

Im in the same boat. I sent my complete packet in on 10/01/12 and still have no updates via the website. I know last week Monday was a holiday and maybe thats why they are a little behind. Ive noticed its almost exactly 15 days from mail to conformation via website but we are going on 17 days now.
Ironically we are just in a hurry to see some update just to start the REAL wait for the manufacturing and then recieve the coveted "plastic" :anamatedbanana

I also check all day all day long, really just a big tease. :???:

Alucard75
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Alucard75 »

Mine just changed today from background review to background check complete. Manufacturing pending. So it took only a week for my background check to be completed. :cheers2: :woohoo :anamatedbanana
09/22/12 - CHL class completed
09/23/12 - Online application
09/25/12 - Mailed completed packet
09/28/12 - Packet received
10/01/12 - Fingerprinting
10/16/12 - Bg pending
10/23/12 - Bg complete
10/23/12 - Manufacturing pending
10/24/12 - Manufacturing
10/25/12 - Mailed
10/31/12 - Plastic in hand

cdr78621
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cdr78621 »

Received the permit, it is just really sad to see that from the moment the status changed to Mailed it still took them 10 days to post the envelope.
Seriously, does it take 10 days to get a post stamp on an envelope.
Then beside that the rural mail is so slow that it took 4 - 5 days to get the mail.

:txflag:

texasdjg
Posts in topic: 5

Post by texasdjg »

I was so glad to find this forum dedicated to those of us who are waiting for our CHL.

It's taking a really long time for my background check to go through. Maybe it's because I perform a lot of contract work and thus have many past employers and gaps in employment that had to be verified? As far as I can tell, DPS has been in receipt of all required documentation (including FAST fingerprinting & materials submittted by the instructor) since mid-August 2012. I would be ecstatic just to see the status change!

Donna
:patriot:

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 40

Post by seamusTX »

Welcome to the forum.

You should call DPS. Two months is way too long to go without a status change.

With the employment record, DPS only wants to know which counties you worked in (that is required by statute). It's not like people don't have gaps in employment or do temp work these days.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

texasdjg

Post by texasdjg »

Jim,
Thanks for your reply. It never occurred to me that it would be a potential issue that I worked the first 6 months of 2012 in Lousiana and paid LA state taxes, although my permanent address, as well as my employer's headquarters, is located in Texas. Maybe that's the hold up! I'll give the DPS a call tomorrow. Again...thanks!

Donna

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I've never been able to figure out how DPS deals with work in another state or country. Often it seems not to be a problem at all. However, it may have made some bureaucratic hold your file, waiting on a response from someone in Louisiana who couldn't care less.

I'd say to talk to your Texas representative or senator if DPS doesn't give you a satisfactory answer.

Good luck.

- Jim

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

2mos is way too long for a background check unless you have some sort of criminal history that requires further documentation. But if that was the case, someone from DPS should have contacted you long before now. It could be a situation where your file was assigned to someone to process and that someone left before finishing and DPS "forgot" to reassign your file. That's been mentioned here & on other forums a couple of times. You definitely wouldn't be out of line to call. Good luck & hope you get a quick fix & finish!

texasdjg

Post by texasdjg »

Thanks y'all. I called the DPS this morning and learned that my background check is complete and my CHL should be printed and mailed within the next few days. There were no noted delays and I don't have a criminal record, so who knows what happened. After I hung up with them, I checked the status and now it's "Manufacturing Pending". Woo-hoo!

Now I reckon I need to figure out what type of holster I want to use. Any suggestions would be great!

Donna

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Great news.

The DPS website is not very reliable. It has been that way as long as I have been following what happens to people, as reported in this forum.

Holsters? Not going there. They are as personal as underwear but much more expensive to experiment with.

- Jim

texasdjg

Post by texasdjg »

Thanks Jim. I know...asking opinions about holsters was a loaded question. My husband prefers a back holster, but I'm going for a side holster. The cool thing is that many manufacturers realize that a lot of women are now carrying concealed and have made efforts to create product lines especially for us. Woo-hoo! I'll check back in and let y'all know when I receive my plastic.

Donna

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”