100 grn RN berrys

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 3

100 grn RN berrys

Post by powerboatr »

anyone see a problem with using 100 grn round nose flat bottom berrys FMJ bullets for range rounds in a 9mm
They wont be loaded nearly as strong as pp rounds, just used for target and exercise. I know the train like you fight and fight like you train adage, which would dictate using 125 Grn bullets and comparable loading to mimic pp rounds, but wasting 125 grn bullets on paper and dirt to me is not frugal

tia
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Jumping Frog

Re: 100 grn RN berrys

Post by Jumping Frog »

Nope, I don't see any problem at all.

As a matter of fact, I think my next 9mm bullet mold will be the Lee 105 gr SWC for my 9 mm.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

mlawler
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mlawler »

I've loaded 95gn hollow points in 357 Sig. Little screamers!! :lol:

Don2

Post by Don2 »

powerboatr wrote:anyone see a problem with using 100 grn round nose flat bottom berrys FMJ bullets for range rounds in a 9mm
They wont be loaded nearly as strong as pp rounds, just used for target and exercise. I know the train like you fight and fight like you train adage, which would dictate using 125 Grn bullets and comparable loading to mimic pp rounds, but wasting 125 grn bullets on paper and dirt to me is not frugal

tia
I bought a few thousand of these to use in a colt gov. 380 and a 9mm pistol I have, but have not loaded any yet..!!!!!
They will work very well as long as you keep the velocity down around lead bullets..!!
I bought these for the same reasons as you.
I plan on loading some up pretty soon I hope... :banghead: ------> :fire -----> :thumbs2:

Don2

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

while i was waiting for Boardwalk Empire
i loaded up 5 to go test in the am.
kept powder low, I figured these guys would be screaming at 100 grains, pretty sure the copper coating will stay intact
3.5 grains of #2 accurate powder.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

donpeeps

Post by donpeeps »

I loaded several hundred Berry 100 Grn RN for use in a S&W Bodyguard .380 and did have a problem. I used the load data that most books suggested and an OAL of .98. At .98 the bullet would hit the step in the chamber, when I went to .965 - .970 the gun cycled fine and fully closed. I think This could be just a BG problem but not sure, maybe a combination of BG and the shape of the Berry 100 gr RN. :headscratch

Don

2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

donpeeps wrote:I loaded several hundred Berry 100 Grn RN for use in a S&W Bodyguard .380 and did have a problem. I used the load data that most books suggested and an OAL of .98. At .98 the bullet would hit the step in the chamber, when I went to .965 - .970 the gun cycled fine and fully closed. I think This could be just a BG problem but not sure, maybe a combination of BG and the shape of the Berry 100 gr RN. :headscratch

Don
The Body Guard just likes them a little shorter. I load mine at .960 to .965 and they function perfectly in my wife's BG.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

When I am trying a new bullet, I'll load just a few bullets on empty cases and then test their feeding first. Make sure they fit in the magazine and then feed consecutively in the chamber and rack the slide a few times.

Once I find a length I want to try, I'll load about 25 rounds for each powder level I want to try at the next range trip.

I won't load a couple hundred rounds with a new bullet until I've tested it. I learned the hard way that pulling the bullets on a couple of hundred rounds is a real pain.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

teddy salad

Post by teddy salad »

I use those in my Yugo M57 Tokarev

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Jumping Frog wrote: I won't load a couple hundred rounds with a new bullet until I've tested it. I learned the hard way that pulling the bullets on a couple of hundred rounds is a real pain.
Been there, done that. :oops:

BTW, I've found the Berry Bullets in 9mm and .45 caliber to be economically quite satisfactory for my purposes. After Mrs. Oldgringo and my CHL renewal outing this past weekend, I think I'll order some more .45 acp HP's. The old girl did quite well with my SA 1911 LW Compact EDC. I was proud of her. :thumbs2:

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

powerboatr wrote:while i was waiting for Boardwalk Empire
i loaded up 5 to go test in the am.
kept powder low, I figured these guys would be screaming at 100 grains, pretty sure the copper coating will stay intact
3.5 grains of #2 accurate powder.

finally got a trip to the range in amongst my busy pensioner days :mrgreen:
3.5 worked very well and had no feed issues. now to build up 100 and go hurt some dirt

I did find on a side note the 3.5 grains in a 380 shell with these 100 gr bullets was a bit extreme in the kick of the hand meter, in the bersa
this #2 powder seems to burn FAAAASSSSST compared to the #7 accurate powder

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

powerboatr wrote:this #2 powder seems to burn FAAAASSSSST compared to the #7 accurate powder
Well, yeah, it is a much faster powder.

Although various powder burn rate charts will vary in how they rank powders, AA #2 is substantially faster than AA #7.

For example, Hodgdon ranks AA #2 as 25th fastest, with AA #7 as 50th.
http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ramshot also has a nice powder comparison chart:
http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploa ... _rates.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AA #2 is similar in burn rate to VihtaVuori N320, Ramshot Zip, or Alliant Red Dot.
AA #7 is similar in burn rate to Hodgdon LONGSHOT, Ramshot Enforcer, or Alliant Blue Dot.

Return to “Reloading Forum”