Tossing around an idea

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Bennies
Posts in topic: 5

Tossing around an idea

Post by Bennies »

So here is what I am thinking and I am looking for opinions.

I carry a glock 23, my wife a 19. We are always tight on extra shooting cash as we trying to invest in a small farm we just bought. It is a little experiment we have embarked on but definently consumes a large amount of our budget as we get it going.

Anyways, I was thinking of selling the 23 and getting another 19 to replace it. My line if thinking is:

1: only one type of bulk ammo to buy. In addition when I buy higher end defensive loads I only need to buy for one caliber instead of two.
2: cheaper but yet 9mm still is an effective round.
3: less time trying to reload 2 calibers.
4. More consistency in training and practice with one caliber for my wife an myself.

I'm also thinking the same for my rifles. I have 2 ARs and an AK. I'm thinking of dumping the AK to steam line all that.
A lot of the same reasons. A big one though is time with practicing between two rifles. I don't have a lot of time to practice as is so I would rather be really good with just one platform. Plus selling my AK could mean more money for 5.56.
Any thoughts?
GOA member
NRA member
TSRA member
Glock 23 w/Crossbreed Supertuck

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tossing around an idea

Post by jmra »

Sounds like a plan to me.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Perfectly rational approach
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Agreed. In addition, invest in reloading equipment if you do not already reload.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

I think this is a practical, smart idea. Diversity in calibers is great--but only if you can afford to shoot them. For example, I recently got rid of a G30. I LOVED that gun, and I appreciate 45 ACP.... but it's nice only having to buy 9mm reloading stuff/defensive ammo.

This also helps in defensive ammo. I buy the 50 round GDHP boxes at GTDistributors since the wife & I both carry it in our defensive guns. Bulk buying makes shooting through a mag of defensive ammo much, much cheaper.

As far as the AK--I don't know about getting rid of it. In the political environment we live in, selling any AR/AK type weapon might not be such a good idea--you never know if you will have a chance in 5 years when finances allow if you will be able to buy up another one.
No More Signature

Topic author
Bennies

Post by Bennies »

Jumping Frog wrote:Agreed. In addition, invest in reloading equipment if you do not already reload.
Yup I have a little set up that I already load 9, .223, and .308 for the rem 700.
GOA member
NRA member
TSRA member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I got rid of a HK USP Compact .40 I liked a lot because it was my only .40 cal gun and everything else was either 9mm or .45. Similarly, I got rifle calibers down to .223/5.56 NATO and .308/7.62 NATO. Simplification makes a lot of sense to me lately. I used to want a lot of different guns in a lot of different calibers, but now my interest in those thing is more purely academic.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Bennies

Post by Bennies »

Snatchel I totally feel you on selling the AK. I know I might not be able to ever get one again.

It is not my go to rifle and I am not all that comfortable with it. So I must ask myself.... Can I live without the AK and be happy with only my AR. My wife will probably not ever pick up my AK to learn it. So practically it might not make sense. But from the stand point of its just cool having the AK makes the decision a bit harder. It will be a tough one. One of our church pastors sold his AK and instantly regretted it. So I must way it all out. I am leaning towards getting rid of it though.
GOA member
NRA member
TSRA member

Topic author
Bennies

Post by Bennies »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I got rid of a HK USP Compact .40 I liked a lot because it was my only .40 cal gun and everything else was either 9mm or .45. Similarly, I got rifle calibers down to .223/5.56 NATO and .308/7.62 NATO. Simplification makes a lot of sense to me lately. I used to want a lot of different guns in a lot of different calibers, but now my interest in those thing is more purely academic.
I totally agree, simplicity is making more sense especially in regards to self defense. Simplicity and practicality.
GOA member
NRA member
TSRA member

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

A very smart plan, I have also condensed my calibers down, not for affordability but to streamline. With modern day ballistics and cartridge engineering the handgun caliber differences are not as large as they once were. I dumped the 5.56 round and went with 308 just because it can reach out and touch at a much further distance. Right now all I have is 22 cal, 9mm, 30-06 (hunting) and 308.
Salty1

HenryAKirk

Post by HenryAKirk »

Great idea i did the same and its saved me and the Mrs. a lot of money. 9mm does a fine job and costs half as much as .45 acp you can shoot more and spend less.
:patriot: Everyone has been given a gift in life...And warriors have been given the gift of aggression.These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs Lt. Col. Dave Grossman :txflag:

A-R

Post by A-R »

if you're getting rid of AK, may I ask what type/price? might be interested.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Unless you NEED to sell one, I would keep what you currently have. In the case of the pistols, selling the .40 to get a 9mm so that you're on on consistent platform makes a lot of sense. But if you've already got 2 ARs and an AK, I don't see the point of getting rid of any of them. Stay proficient with the ARs and keep the AK as a change of pace. Put just as much thought into reducing the collection as expanding it.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

cubbyjg

Post by cubbyjg »

I think it is a great idea to consolidate if it makes your life easier. :thumbs2:
Hook'em Horns!
Class of 2007

“I am actually for gun control. Use both hands." - Gov. Rick Perry

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Bennies wrote:So here is what I am thinking and I am looking for opinions.

I carry a glock 23, my wife a 19. We are always tight on extra shooting cash as we trying to invest in a small farm we just bought. It is a little experiment we have embarked on but definently consumes a large amount of our budget as we get it going.

Anyways, I was thinking of selling the 23 and getting another 19 to replace it. My line if thinking is:

1: only one type of bulk ammo to buy. In addition when I buy higher end defensive loads I only need to buy for one caliber instead of two.
2: cheaper but yet 9mm still is an effective round.
3: less time trying to reload 2 calibers.
4. More consistency in training and practice with one caliber for my wife an myself.

I'm also thinking the same for my rifles. I have 2 ARs and an AK. I'm thinking of dumping the AK to steam line all that.
A lot of the same reasons. A big one though is time with practicing between two rifles. I don't have a lot of time to practice as is so I would rather be really good with just one platform. Plus selling my AK could mean more money for 5.56.
Any thoughts?
Keep the AK and your your ARs. I am not biased, I do what US soldiers do in the battlefield.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”