Sig P239 SAS vs P938

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Salty1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sig P239 SAS vs P938

Post by Salty1 »

The only issue with the 239 is that you will need a substantial holster and gun belt to carry it for weight distribution, the 239 is a great gun!!!! The 238 and 938 will be easier to carry and much lighter as well and can be easily carried in a holster with a single attachment point. Guess it is all about trade off's and what you find acceptable and comfortable, if not comfortable then people tend not to carry the gun. Good luck with your decision and please let us know what the final result is......
Salty1

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by wgoforth »

randomoutburst wrote:Thanks for the additional feedback, y'all. My hubby and I have both been seeing the same complaints pop up about the 938, so I'm slightly hesitant to get one. I may just bite it and get the 238 even though it's a .380. We'll see. The P238 Desert does look pretty awesome, I have to say...!
Get the Titanium edition and you won't have to worry about him taking it to the range :rolll
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeStone
Posts in topic: 5

Post by MikeStone »

Actually, I am shooting low and left. I chalked it up to unfamiliarity with the gun. I'm reasonably accurate with my S&W M&P 9c. Still not afraid to use it as my EDC; after all it still is a tiny 9mm.
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

- Thomas Jefferson

CC Italian
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CC Italian »

The 239 will be to big and heavy if the Kahr K9 is hard to conceal. Check out one of these. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =306918241 Just throwing some ideas out. The closest thing I would compare them to is a Kahr MK9 but a little lighter. But it sounds like you need deep concealment and a lighter package. Some of those micro 9mms under 20 ounces start to bark a little.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Also, I have shot both the 239 and K9 and the 239 is noticeably heavier, wider, taller (higher) and longer. So like I said going with a 239 is going to be harder then a K9 imo. :tiphat:

Also if you don't like polymer what about a MK9. Solves your grip problem and the gun is shorter in length and overall height? Just another idea but I would shoot a 938 before you buy it or try another light weight 9mm if you have never tried one? Those K9s are like butter even compared to a PPS, Shield or LC9.All of which I have shot. These are the smallest I will go for me personally.The 938 comes in at 15 ounces and that is pretty light for a 9mm imo. Similar to a p series kahr. :tiphat:

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

I keep throwing out ideas. So a 238 .380acp is an option for you? If you want to keep it on your hip it is better then no gun! A lot of members seem to love the 238. I also thought I would throw this out there if you want to keep a larger caliber or a little heavier gun. http://www.pistolwear.com/ I have had one for about 4 months or so and it is the deepest concealment I could find for working out and it has worked wonders. I can conceal a snub nose, baby kel tec and even a glock 27 with it. I assume a women would have an even easier time for obvious reasons. Just another idea.

siphonic

Post by siphonic »

As a federal firearms instructor who owns and carries a Sig P938 and instructs others on the duty issued P239, I can weigh in on the comparison. First of all, criticisms of the "accuracy" of the P938 are actually just insufficiencies in the practical marksmanship of the shooters. They are shooting low and left because this is a small weapon with a relatively heavy trigger, low weight, and slim profile, resulting in greater felt recoil and, in the general shooting population, a greater overcompensation for that felt recoil. The weapon, I assure you, is perfectly fine and does not shoot anywhere other than precisely where it is pointed when the bullet leaves the barrel. With sufficient training to avoid slapping the trigger (a mistake often exacerbated by transitioning for the first time to a firearm with an external safety, resulting in more rushing) and recoil management training (thumbs forward, snap caps, etc) this will not be an issue. I shoot a 300 qualification with the P938 just like my larger P229 DAK .40. Let's not blame the tool for our own poor performance.

As to the originally stated intent to carry concealed in the workplace with less outer-garment cover, I think the dimensions speak for themselves. A major factor to consider besides the measure of overall height (the primary factor in concealability, and a significanwould be "trigger reach." Significantly greater in the P239, that weapon will allow you to achieve greater surface area coverage with your grip and manage recoil with slightly less effort, but again, this is nothing that training can't overcome with the P938 should you prefer the smaller frame. Next, your grip strength will determine how much you are able to enjoy and become comfortable shooting the smaller gun. Stronger grip = improved recoil management = improved marksmanship, I assure you.

MikeStone

Post by MikeStone »

Yeah, I was afraid it was me! As I stated in an earlier post I think it's a fine little weapon; it'll just take me a while to figure out grip, trigger pull, etc.

As a side note I just received the new kydex for my Maxtuck IWB. The P938 is pretty much invisible and quite comfortable. My EDC rig is all set.

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
randomoutburst
Posts in topic: 6

Post by randomoutburst »

Thanks for the input on the 938. I finally found a gun shop with one in stock, and I have to say... I much preferred the 238. It felt much better in my hand. The increased depth of the grip on the 938 was a big turn-off. With either one, I needed the extended mag in order for it to feel comfortable to grip, but that's no big deal.

You may have seen my new post about my new carry....a 238! (http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=58571)

I appreciate everyone's input and I am quite excited to report back on its range performance this weekend.

As siphonic said, many people have problems due to their own actions and I know that's happened to me before. Unfortunately, it seems that I cannot necessarily adapt to every gun, which is why I sold my KelTec PF9. I just couldn't handle the dang thing kicking like a mule and as a result I was flinching and my accuracy suffered. I am much happier with my S&W 60, Kahr K9, and (hopefully) the Sig P238. I find that having a metal frame improves my accuracy significantly. I guess it's just easier for me to shoot when there is more weight in my hand.

All in all, I'm very impressed with the P238 and I can carry it with almost any outfit, meaning I will carry it all the time. I've been really bad about just leaving my carry at home when I can't conceal it well, which has left me unarmed 6 out of 7 days a week. :shock: It used to be that I couldn't carry it with me for legal reasons because I was going to college, but now that I'm out there is just no excuse for not carrying all the time. I had a heart-to-heart with the hubby and we decided that I needed to get a smaller pistol. I've always been reluctant to get anything small because I like the heavier guns, but I had to be realistic. The Kahr is nice to shoot and feels good in my hands, but it's a pain to conceal. With the P238 I feel like I didn't even have to compromise.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

siphonic wrote:As a federal firearms instructor who owns and carries a Sig P938 and instructs others on the duty issued P239, . . . .
I see it is your first post, so WELCOME!
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

MikeStone

Post by MikeStone »

siphonic wrote:As a federal firearms instructor who owns and carries a Sig P938 and instructs others on the duty issued P239, I can weigh in on the comparison. First of all, criticisms of the "accuracy" of the P938 are actually just insufficiencies in the practical marksmanship of the shooters. They are shooting low and left because this is a small weapon with a relatively heavy trigger, low weight, and slim profile, resulting in greater felt recoil and, in the general shooting population, a greater overcompensation for that felt recoil. The weapon, I assure you, is perfectly fine and does not shoot anywhere other than precisely where it is pointed when the bullet leaves the barrel. With sufficient training to avoid slapping the trigger (a mistake often exacerbated by transitioning for the first time to a firearm with an external safety, resulting in more rushing) and recoil management training (thumbs forward, snap caps, etc) this will not be an issue. I shoot a 300 qualification with the P938 just like my larger P229 DAK .40. Let's not blame the tool for our own poor performance. .
Update: I put another 150 rounds through my Sig P938 today and I focused on improved sight picture, breath control, surprise break, etc. Amazingly, the accuracy problems went away! I shot about a 2" group on the dot at 7 yards which is great for me. No problems with this little pistol when the shooter does his job. :fire

- Thomas Jefferson

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

Got to put hands on one today, first ones I had seen in person. I like! I really enjoy my 238, I think this will have to go on my wish list! Glad to hear you like yours!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Topic author
randomoutburst
Posts in topic: 6

Post by randomoutburst »

Well dang. We were all packed up to go to the range, I got 300 rounds of ammo to shoot plus a box of Zombie rounds.... and when we got to Patriot Arms they were closed for a CHL class. I guess I will have to wait until next weekend. I'm kind of grumpy about that, because it wasn't posted on their website (unless I bothered to look for CHL classes specifically). I would have appreciated a heads up so I didn't waste my time and plan my day around shooting. :grumble

I guess that's okay, I'll go next weekend. :waiting:

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

Haven't shot the 938. But have fired the MUCH better halfs 238 and my 239. The 938 is close to the same size as the 238. It's tiny compared to the 239. But the 239 is a soft recoil. It's a Cadillac in comparison. I can put hundreds of rounds down the pipe no problem. But no way will it conceal as well as the 938.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”