Making first AR purchase

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Jules
Posts in topic: 3

Making first AR purchase

Post by Jules »

I have a buddy that is selling his few month old LaRue 556 18" OBR. I have had my fair share of AK's, but I have never owned any AR platform rifle and know very little about them. I know LaRue is Texas owned and turns out good products from what I have seen on here. I guess the reason for my post is... Is this a good LaRue model? I shot 10 rounds out of it when he got it, and he shot 30. It has a total of 40 rounds down it and the other 960 rounds come with the sale. It has all the paper work and a 5 shot range paper dated 4-4-12. The weapon is flawless and shoots nice and tight. I don't know what that sight in the picture is, I will know more when I shoot it again tomorrow. I talked him down to 1500$ if that makes a difference in your thoughts about it, comes with everything on the gun and the case its in, plus the 960 Federal rounds. Thanks for your .02 :patriot:
Image Image

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Making first AR purchase

Post by C-dub »

I'm not up on a price for this rifle, but if you like it and are okay with the price, then why not get it? What do you want to do with it?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

AustinBoy

Post by AustinBoy »

Darn nice rifle and I know about 3 guys that would give him $1500 right now.
(I am one of those 3)

If you dont want it, let me know!

AB
NRA - Life Member
TSRA - Life Member

Topic author
Jules

Post by Jules »

AB, I live in a world where "dibs" count. If i don't pick it up, I will PM you.
C-dub, I'm looking for something to complement my foil hat in preparation for the end. Well maybe not that extreme, but I would like to have a good mid range gun. I don't have any optics on my ak and need to be able to get out past that 100 yard mark. I would like to have a non bolt action gun that is reliable, extremely accurate and easy enough for anyone to operate in a time in need. I have a .270 for deer, 300 savage ultra mag for hard hitting up to a few hundred yards away. I think this rifle would fit in nicely between my 7.62 AK and those guns.

A-R

Post by A-R »

I'll give him $1,800 for rifle and ammo :evil2:

And I'd still be stealing from him

Edited to add:
Rifle sells new for almost $2,300 http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-obr-556-16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;”
~ 1,000 rounds of even basic 55-grain 5.56/.223 brass case run you about $350
The sight looks like a basic cheap model from Academy or similar ~ $100 or less (plan to spend some money on something better - that rifle deserves premium optics)

I've shot some OBRs in 5.56 and 7.62 NATO and it is by far the nicest AR platform rifle I've ever fired

AustinBoy

Post by AustinBoy »

No fair A-R.
I had dibs! :drool:

AB
NRA - Life Member
TSRA - Life Member

erick619
Posts in topic: 1

Post by erick619 »

A-R wrote:I'll give him $1,800 for rifle and ammo :evil2:

And I'd still be stealing from him

Edited to add:
Rifle sells new for almost $2,300 http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-obr-556-16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;”
~ 1,000 rounds of even basic 55-grain 5.56/.223 brass case run you about $350
The sight looks like a basic cheap model from Academy or similar ~ $100 or less (plan to spend some money on something better - that rifle deserves premium optics)

I've shot some OBRs in 5.56 and 7.62 NATO and it is by far the nicest AR platform rifle I've ever fired
$1801!

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers)

A-R

Post by A-R »

"The price is WRONG, Bob"

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:biggrinjester:

Note: there are a few profane words in this clip

Topic author
Jules

Post by Jules »

I'm the proud new owner if a LaRue OBR!!! Now to research and try out some optics. I'd like a close range option and then a long range. I'm going to shoot it and see what I need, as I need it. I built my rock crawler that way and have no regrets. Thanks for the input.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Here's one cool way to get both long and short range on same gun :

http://www.dueckdefense.com/rts-sight-system.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Iron sights off set to 45-degrees as quick- use short range option when your choice of long-range optic is mounted on top

Have also seen similar 45-degree offset mount of a Burris Fastfire (or similar micro red dot sight) instead of irons as close range quick-use option

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

A-R wrote:Here's one cool way to get both long and short range on same gun :

http://www.dueckdefense.com/rts-sight-system.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Iron sights off set to 45-degrees as quick- use short range option when your choice of long-range optic is mounted on top

Have also seen similar 45-degree offset mount of a Burris Fastfire (or similar micro red dot sight) instead of irons as close range quick-use option
I haven't done any 3-gun stuff yet so I don't know this myself, but this guy was saying that if you used another enhanced sight, light a red dot for close shots, instead of iron sights that you would have to compete in the open class and thus also compete in open with your shotgun and handgun whether they were modified or not.

Jules, congratulations on your new rifle!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmoney

Post by jmoney »

larues are very very accurate...I have been eying a predatobr in 7.62 for awhile now. I can't decide if I want that or a 300blk daniel defense. As soon as I get back to Texas I hope to have made up my mind

tonzofphun

Post by tonzofphun »

Congrats!

$1500 is a steal for an OBR and the extra ammo.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”