At least 6 dead in Minneapolis shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TXPPQ
Posts in topic: 3

At least 6 dead in Minneapolis shooting

Post by TXPPQ »

http://www.kvia.com/news/At-least-6-dea ... index.html

A recently laid off employee returns hours later and begins shooting...
Walther PPQ 9mm
S&W M&P9c

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: At least 6 dead in Minneapolis shooting

Post by C-dub »

This is why my boss wishes I could carry at work, but it's not up to him. :grumble
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
TXPPQ

Post by TXPPQ »

C-dub wrote:This is why my boss wishes I could carry at work, but it's not up to him. :grumble
:iagree:

I believe the death toll would have been much lower if an armed CHL holder were present.
Walther PPQ 9mm
S&W M&P9c

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Why the parents have to declare that the shooter had mental illness when he is already dead. That makes a psycho with access to handgun. Not good for all of us. Parents are not doctors, the shooter was only depressed and frustrated, a mad too.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Beiruty wrote:Why the parents have to declare that the shooter had mental illness when he is already dead. That makes a psycho with access to handgun. Not good for all of us. Parents are not doctors, the shooter was only depressed and frustrated, a mad too.
Most people with mental illnesses are not "psychos" and do not ever harm others. I see nothing wrong with the statement of the parents. They are not responsible for the shootings and they are just trying to cope with their grief by offering condolences to the families of the people that their son shot to death. I couldn't ask them for anything more.
NRA Endowment Member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

WildBill wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Why the parents have to declare that the shooter had mental illness when he is already dead. That makes a psycho with access to handgun. Not good for all of us. Parents are not doctors, the shooter was only depressed and frustrated, a mad too.
Most people with mental illnesses are not "psychos" and do not ever harm others. I see nothing wrong with the statement of the parents. They are not responsible for the shootings and they are just trying to cope with their grief by offering condolences to the families of the people that their son shot to death. I couldn't ask them for anything more.
I know, but Antis will grab this story and make it a cause to ban more handguns or restrict our rights :banghead:
Beiruty,

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Beiruty wrote:
WildBill wrote:
I know, but Antis will grab this story and make it a cause to ban more handguns or restrict our rights :banghead:
True, but they'll do that anyway, for any number of reasons, having little or nothing to do with mass murders: because Burt wore a purple shirt on Tuesday; because they found a dead earthworm on their walkway; because they have a sinus headache; because they dont like gazebos; because they don't like plaid; because their socks are too tight; because puppies make them sad; because somewhere, someone is having fun with a gun.

I keep an eye on them the same way I make sure I know where all the snakes in the room are, but I may them no more mind than that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Reds45ACP
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Reds45ACP »

I wish I didn't work in a "secured area". I can't even have a pocket knife. I see stuff like this and wonder how long until I'm the guy huddled in his cube waiting to get shot. *sigh*
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Reds45ACP wrote:I wish I didn't work in a "secured area". I can't even have a pocket knife. I see stuff like this and wonder how long until I'm the guy huddled in his cube waiting to get shot. *sigh*
Disarm the crazed shooter and shoot him with his own handgun. This is what I do.
Beiruty,

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

TXPPQ wrote:I believe the death toll would have been much lower if an armed CHL holder were present.
Anyone who was affected and would have otherwise legally carried there but didn't due to company policy should be filing a lawsuit.
Reds45ACP wrote:I wish I didn't work in a "secured area". I can't even have a pocket knife. I see stuff like this and wonder how long until I'm the guy huddled in his cube waiting to get shot. *sigh*
If you were ever in that predicament, I say your employer is responsible and should be held accountable.

Since companies mostly care about liability, perhaps the precedent set would encourage them to not play "God" by interfering with state and local laws.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

steve817

Post by steve817 »

One of these days I'll have to post about how we are trained to handle an active shooter at our workplace. Here is a preview "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

steve817 wrote:One of these days I'll have to post about how we are trained to handle an active shooter at our workplace. Here is a preview "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
Well I would assume that if they chose to stand in the way of the Second Ammendment and state/local laws, they would be providing top-notch security and protection.

/sarcasm
CHL since 2/2011

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

Have something, anything, (even a can of soda can be lethal if thrown) that can be used as a projectile or a club. Bring in an "autographed baseball" and put it on display. A multitool is better than nothing. A screwdriver makes a great weapon. Be creative, think, have a plan. Surely your office has chairs, they can be used as clubs. Do you take your lunch? Bring a decent kitchen knife to cut your lunch with.......Some of these things might not work for you but just think, and figure it out. Don't cower and wait for your bullet, your family is counting on you. Take action....that is your best bet to survive.

Or in the words of Edna from the Incredibles (adusted slightly)......"What are you talking about? Pull yourself together! You are a US citizen! .......FIGHT! WIN! Then call me when you are done darling, I like our little chats."
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

mamabearCali wrote: Have something, anything, (even a can of soda can be lethal if thrown) that can be used as a projectile or a club. Bring in an "autographed baseball" and put it on display. A multitool is better than nothing. A screwdriver makes a great weapon. Be creative, think, have a plan. Surely your office has chairs, they can be used as clubs. Do you take your lunch? Bring a decent kitchen knife to cut your lunch with.......Some of these things might not work for you but just think, and figure it out. Don't cower and wait for your bullet, your family is counting on you. Take action....that is your best bet to survive.
This sentence should be added:

"If you have taken the steps to become a CHL, you are an invaluable asset in these situations. Note that you should proclaim that fact to managment and co-workers unless the need arises"
CHL since 2/2011

Topic author
TXPPQ

Post by TXPPQ »

I could not agree with you more RP, employers need to realize by having anti-chl policies they accomplish little more than to turn their employees into potential victims. While I do understand that some employers need to have such policies in order to be insured, they should not just blindly comply. I am sure there are some pro-gun insurance companies out there and even if they do have to pay a little more isn't the safety of their staff worth it. I'm betting that if the owner had survived this tragic ordeal his first order of business would be to change the company policy.
Walther PPQ 9mm
S&W M&P9c

Return to “The Crime Blotter”