renewal question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Armed-Texan
Posts in topic: 2

renewal question

Post by Armed-Texan »

My CHL is going to expire 10/05. My question is, do I pay the state and do the online renewal first, or do I take the class first?

9mmfan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: renewal question

Post by 9mmfan »

I did the online renewal/pay the state part first, then took the class. I don't believe it matters which you actually do first, but I would want the online part done before I mailed in the info. Don't know for a fact if it makes a difference, but I would be more comfortable if I was already in the system before my envelope showed up. Took my renewal first of August, took about three weeks or a month for me to get the new license in.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
-Rudyard Kipling

Vecco

Post by Vecco »

No reason to pay first.. if something happens you lose the money, and they wont do anything till they get the CHL-100 from the class. When you pay, you have to print out a conformation letter to mail WITH the CHL-100.. Easy to do it once you have everything ready to mail.. pay/print/mail.

Topic author
Armed-Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Armed-Texan »

Thanks for the replies. How long after I take the class do I have to pay the state? In other words, how long is the CHL100 good after the actual class day?

stash

Post by stash »

The CHL100 is good for six months. It does not matter when you get the CHL100, just keep in mind it is only good for six months from the date it is dated. As an example my CHL 100 for my renewal is dated 7/26/12 and I will do the online application the end of this month which is the earliest I can apply for my renewal. I took the renewal class in July because I had a real good opportunity to do it at that time and get it out of the way.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

whodat1

Post by whodat1 »

Not to hijack the thread, but how long before expiration can you take the renewal?
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member

AEA

Post by AEA »

Six Months for CHL licensing application. :tiphat:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

Armed-Texan wrote:My CHL is going to expire 10/05. My question is, do I pay the state and do the online renewal first, or do I take the class first?
Both ASAP. It looks like you are going to have at least a month gap in coverage at this rate.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”