Reason you decided to get CHL ?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Reason you decided to get CHL ?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

1. Because I can.

2. Because my liberal "friends" now fear me.

3. Because their women now want me. :mrgreen:

4. Because after I got mine, my wife got her's, and there's nothin' hotter than a good lookin' lady packin' heat.

5. Because it makes my family/friends back in California jealous, and I can remind them that they voted for the cretins that took their rights away.

6. Because somewhere out there is a progressive who can't sleep at night knowing that there are other people out there exercising and enjoying their constitutional rights without permission from the Borg.

7. Because I'm an old poop with less pip-pip in his pop than I used to could.

8. Because [hoarse]I AM BATMAN![/hoarse]

9. Because in any game of paper-scissors-rock-.45ACP, .45ACP always wins.

10. Because Sheldon Cooper is a smelly pooper.........and there are lots of Sheldon Coopers out there......

I could go on if you would like.....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

redlin67

Post by redlin67 »

I live in Houston, 'nuff said!
Taurus PT111
Ruger LCP

5/26/10 Plastic

To see what is right and not to do it is want of courage.
Confucius

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BigGuy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Because in any game of paper-scissors-rock-.45ACP, .45ACP always wins.
Yes, but Spock with a phaser beats .45 ACP.
The Annoyed Man wrote:10. Because Sheldon Cooper is a smelly pooper.........and there are lots of Sheldon Coopers out there......
Not true. His mother had him tested.

TxCommish

Post by TxCommish »

The 2005 Smith County Courthouse shooting. (Google it)

I stood helplessly at a third floor office window and watched two people get murdered in cold blood and a Sheriff Deputy friend get shot and horribly wounded. My wife was with me in my office and we were scared to death because in spite of all the "expert" opinions you may have read about this incident, the BG was indeed trying to get in the Courthouse. If he had made it in, there is no telling how many people he would have killed. He might have even made it to my office on the third floor and killed us because we were sitting ducks. The next day I told my wife I never wanted to feel that helpless again and that I wanted to get my CHL and carry a gun. She paid for the license and bought my S&W 642-2 for my birthday present. Now, I always carry. Always. Because I can't stress to you enough that things can go from a normal dull day to all heck breaking loose anytime, anyplace.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

The first motivating incident that led me to seriously consider CHL was Hurricane Rita. During that time it was a total breakdown of the system. No communication, no law, no utilities, none of the basics that our modern world depends on. Tempers were short, people were fatigued, dirty and irritable. It became in some areas the law of the jungle. Sadly, I witnessed the bullying of older, weaker people at the gas pumps and saw the jackals stealing anything and everything. Money was worthless. I had hundreds of dollars and yet could only buy 10 gals of gas after a 2 hour wait.

Another reason I got my CHL was I travel & often have to stop on the side of the road and catch a 15 minute nap. I have not had too many bad experiences doing this but we all know that it is just a matter of time.

My honey and I both have CHLs & when I hug her I now pat her 5 clock. :thumbs2:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Reds45ACP

Post by Reds45ACP »

I'm not a particularly faithful man but I strongly believe that God helps those who help themselves. I want to provide protection for my wife and I. Eventually a young'un or two as well.

I'll echo the sentiment that it feels odd carrying for that reason as I was taught differently growing up (had plenty of firearms around). However, my father carried off duty my entire life and I never really considered that until he asked if I was going to get a carry permit. I have excercised that right since.
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

Valk

Post by Valk »

My wife suggested that we should get our CHL, although we always carried a weapon with us when we traveled. I just wanted to prepare for whats coming down the road. I believe there will be a shortage of water and one need only look back 1 year ago. The movement of gun control may be the cherry on top especially since the AR15 is for the battlefield only.

All bets are off when Israel strikes Iran before the election. As a song from Eric Burdon says "they will die, engulfed in their own fire".

ETA: I didn't mean to step on a political landmine. I support Israel and their champion Netanyahu.
Last edited by Valk on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txgrifter

Post by txgrifter »

Because I want to protect my Family and my self
Because I don't want to be a sitting duck
Because I want to give my self at least a fighting chance
Because it makes it easier to purchase a firearm
Because I can
Because it is my right

I have always wanted too since I moved from California yet never got around to it. With a few recent things happening in my neck of the woods as well as the current political climate I felt it was a good idea for my wife and my self to get our CHL.. so we did :mrgreen:
8/6/12 - Mailed to DPS
9/1/12 - Plastic in Hand

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

1. Because I don't want to be arrested for exercising a basic human right.

Posts in topic: 2

Post by 77346 »

I have owned guns all my adult life, and have always kept one loaded next to my bed for home defense. Last Spring, an incident in which I feared for the safety of one of my daughters made me re-think my personal/family defense strategy. I applied for my CHL the very day it happened.

I have been carrying daily for over a month now and I haven't come out of the closet yet... my wife doesn't know, neither my daughters. They know I have guns, but don't suspect that I now have one on me every time I leave the house. I need to tell them one of these days :oops:
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Moving back to Texas, I knew before I left IL that I would get a CHL as soon as I possibly could.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Not necessarily in any order:
1)Because this country still respects some individual liberties, including the right (responsibility) to/of self protection and protection of one's loved ones -- and Texas offers CHL to allow its law-abiding citizens to carry proper defensive tools should the need arise.
2)Because I live/work/am almost always found in "nice or "safe" places, but evil travels where and when it will.
3)Because it was an excellent chance to start the dialog to get my lovely bride back into shooting, more situationally aware, armed and better prepared to defend herself (and have my back if need be).
4)Because MPA just isn't sufficient -- I can conceive of a time when I am not in a vehicle and need a sidearm (see item 2 above).
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

JCXD40

Post by JCXD40 »

I don't know that I have anything different than the many others have already stated here. There are several reasons, but I think #1 would have to be because I can and it is my right. I also don't want to be a victim. I'm not a very big woman and I'm sure I wouldn't fare too well in a fight with any size man. I believe that having a weapon would level the playing field considerably. :patriot:
JCXD40 - Tomball, TX

Patiently awaiting (NOT!) my CHL
Big XD Fan -
Currently own:
XD 40 Subcompact
XD 9MM
XD-S 45

Proud to be clinging to my guns and God in South Texas

BigBen

Post by BigBen »