IWB recommendation?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
J.J.
Posts in topic: 8

IWB recommendation?

Post by J.J. »

I carry a M&P9c and I am wanting some input on another light weight IWB for Summer carry.
I have a De Santis Intruder tuckable and a De Santis Tuck-This II.

But the one I am interested in is similar to this Blackhawk IWB.

This holster is extremely comfortable and holds the weapon nicely!
My only complaint is that there is about a half inch of the weapon that stays in contact with skin.
The cut on the back is a bit higher but still exposes the pin.
This isn't just terrible but the rear press pin is showing signs of rust and it does irritate the skin in certain situations.

I was hoping someone could recommend a holster similar to this one, but one that had sort of a sweat shield built in.
Thanks for any help!

~ "JJ"
~ "JJ"

Choctaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: IWB recommendation?

Post by Choctaw »

For my 1911's I use either a Milt Sparks VM 2 or his Summer Special.

The Summer Special is leather with a sweat shield.
35 days...mailbox to mailbox

Topic author
J.J.

Post by J.J. »

Thanks Choctaw!
The Milt Sparks holsters are great!
I am hoping to find a light weight IWB similar to the Blackhawk above with the sweat shield!

Milt Sparks is booked marked by the way! ;-)
~ "JJ"

WinoVeritas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WinoVeritas »

When it comes to Texas summer and holster with effective sweat shield, I cannot say enough good things about my Remora 4ART w/standard Sweat Shield. It is shared and effectively shields the slide for my Taurus PT709, PT740 and PT140MilPro. I've had it for about five months and have just ordered another 4ART with full seat shield (covers entire backside of pistol - slide & grip) and same for model 10ART for my PT24/7 and SW40VE Sigma to share - full sweat sheild not because standard isn't adequate, but to keep all pistol surfaces completely away from my sweaty body. The Remora's are washable and have a lifetime warranty. It also stays in place with just my skivvies waist band, so works well with casual clothing with elastic or drawstring. Also like the ease of removal when entering areas where no handgun allowed.

http://www.remoraholsters.com/Home_Page.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PT709/740
PT709/740
Attachments
PT140MilPro
PT140MilPro

Topic author
J.J.

Post by J.J. »

Thanks WV for the comment and pictures!
I have heard a couple of good reviews on the Remoras.
So tell me something, without a clip what holds them in place? They look more like a pocket holster then a IWB. Also, the one in your picture has a standard sweat shield?
I plan to do some more research when I get off work so I may answer my own questions.
Thanks again!
~ "JJ"

LSL

Post by LSL »

Contact Triple T Holsters - < http://www.tripletholsters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; >

Local, Houston-area family business [not my family] which produces a finely made, horsehide/ formed-kydex IWB holster -- lines with special cowhide.
I wear this with XDM in summer, and I am aware I have it on, but I do not know that it is there, if you know what I mead.
Comfortable, secure, adjustable cant -- Call before going to local gun show [check their calendar on website] to let them know which gun you want to holster.
Tell Robert and Jennifer that Whiskers referred you -- I receive a smile as my "commission."

:txflag:
Noli Voluntare Usque Vocaris / lsl
SA XDM 3.8c 9mm and Ruger LC9 -- each in a <tripleTholsters.com> IWB
Walther P22

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

J.J.,

I did a pretty picture heavy/ thorough review on the Remora's a month or two ago.

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... ew#p695862" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, the outside of the holster is made of a really stick rubber material. I'm not sure what to call it, but it's extremely tacky and catches your clothing. The tacky material holds onto your pants/underwear with the help of the pressure created by your jeans or shorts being around your waist.

These holsters don't look like they would hold, but I'm telling you--they do. I carry a full sized G17 and a G30 in mine regularly. For the price, you can't beat them. There are times when I would rather carry OWB, and do, but these Remora's are my IWB holster, almost exclusively. I can jump, walk, sit, etc, and it stays put.
No More Signature

WinoVeritas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WinoVeritas »

J.J. wrote:Thanks WV for the comment and pictures!
I have heard a couple of good reviews on the Remoras.
So tell me something, without a clip what holds them in place? They look more like a pocket holster then a IWB. Also, the one in your picture has a standard sweat shield?
I plan to do some more research when I get off work so I may answer my own questions.
Thanks again!
Not sure I can add much more than 'snatchel' other than I wouldn't call it "tacky" - it's not like scotch tape, more like a non-skid material possibly used on a car dashboard catch-all. It holds / adheres to your skin or clothing where placed and pretty much stays there. It does require the assistance of a waistband to be affective - you can't use it buck naked without a belt or something to hold in place. If I do a lot of stooping and bending I may have to readjust, but otherwise, it stays where put - and that can be from appendix to 6 O'clock and anywhere in between. It will work as a pocket holster also. In either use the pistol will not bring the Remora with it when drawing. They also make it with a reinforced top to make reholstering easier, but will add to the bulk for CC. I'm looking for day long comfort, not quickdraw practice all day, although draw is quite easy reholstering isn't like an OWB

My 4ART has the standard sweat shield which fully covers the complete slide to the thumb 'crotch' on the grip and about 3/16" above the slide and folds over the end a mite to deflect rolling sweat. You can wash with a mild detergent (gets a bit yukky after awhile) and doesn't absorb moisture. After washing or long daily use I stick a toilet roll core in it to allow it to dry out internally. Reholstering from the 3-4 O'clock position is easy using index finger of off hand to open top and nose the pistol in and done. I wipe my CC down daily with silicone cloth regardless of SS or Blue. As stated in earlier post, when it comes to a sweat shield, I don't believe you can beat a Remora. And believe me, before I bought one I was a big doubter it would be worth spit - happy to report I was dead wrong. My new full sweat shield 4ART and 10ART have shipped and I expect to get them before weeks end.

My best all round holster is the DeSantis 106 Sof-Tuck w/adjustable cant, but summer time Texas it's now the Remora. As 'snatchel' said you can't get much better holster than a Remora for the price.

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

A Crossbreed or a Comp-Tac would be my recommendation. I have a Comp-Tac holster for my carry gun, and a Crossbreed double mag carrier. No part of the gun (or mags) ever touches me. Incredibly comfortable, and they are tuckable. To give you an idea of the comfort, I wear a carry a full size 1911 everday, everywhere. Even to work where I have to tuck my shirt in. Most of the time, I can hardly even tell it's there. So for an M&P9c, it would not even be an issue.

ffemt300

Post by ffemt300 »

WinoVeritas wrote:When it comes to Texas summer and holster with effective sweat shield, I cannot say enough good things about my Remora 4ART w/standard Sweat Shield. It is shared and effectively shields the slide for my Taurus PT709, PT740 and PT140MilPro. I've had it for about five months and have just ordered another 4ART with full seat shield (covers entire backside of pistol - slide & grip) and same for model 10ART for my PT24/7 and SW40VE Sigma to share - full sweat sheild not because standard isn't adequate, but to keep all pistol surfaces completely away from my sweaty body. The Remora's are washable and have a lifetime warranty. It also stays in place with just my skivvies waist band, so works well with casual clothing with elastic or drawstring. Also like the ease of removal when entering areas where no handgun allowed.

http://www.remoraholsters.com/Home_Page.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DSCN1651a.JPG
Ill second this. Remora is great for quick install, if you will, and moves very little if at all when in place. Great for gym shorts as well. I plan on ordering another one with the full sweat shield as well. They have ones that have reinforced tops to make reholstering easier but they seem to be less concealable.

Topic author
J.J.

Post by J.J. »

Great info guys!
Thanks for the recommendations!
I am going to to a good look at the Remoras!

@ Thumper - My De Santis Intruder is a tuckable similar to the Crossbreed or a Comp-Tac and I love it.
But the large patch of material against the skin in the Summer heat gets to be a bit much!
I am looking for something a bit smaller in profile.
~ "JJ"

xb12s

Post by xb12s »

I can second the Comptac and Crossbreed recommendations for comfort and coverage, but since you are looking for something that is as small and quick (single clip) as the one posted in the original post picture, I would recommend looking at PJholster. Paul is easy to deal with and could do anything your wanted in kydex. It's about 2 to 3 weeks max. He uses a nice thin, lightweight kydex and my Kahr is completely covered everywhere but the grip.

I love my PJ holster. It's my favorite.

http://pjholster.com

Topic author
J.J.

Post by J.J. »

Thanks xb, I will check them out.
~ "JJ"

scref

Post by scref »

I also have a Remora for my M&P Shield and wear 99% of the time. It is comfortable, don't move once put is place. Not a single issue with it.
EDC: S&W M&P Shield
TX CHL: 5/9/12

Topic author
J.J.

Post by J.J. »

Thanks scref!
Did you go with a sweat shield on yours?
~ "JJ"

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”