Are you still comfortable?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

AustinBoy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Are you still comfortable?

Post by AustinBoy »

Remember Mark Wilson in Tyler, TX.

In My CHL class, our instructor told us the story.

I have NEVER practiced double tap COM. I ALWAYS practice double tap COM, 1 headshot.

IF someone was close enough, a COM double tap would have at least stunned him and a follow up headshot would have ended it.

I know, arm chair quarterback is easy. I'm not saying that I would have/could have done it.

I am saying that if you are ever in a situation, follow up with the 3rd shot.

The entire point is to be SURE and STOP the act of violence/bloodshed.

AB
NRA - Life Member
TSRA - Life Member

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

As much as I hate to admit it, I have changed my carry options... Something has been weighing on my mind for a while and the recent events just confirmed that I needed to go ahead and do it.

I dropped the .380 out of the "rotation" and now consider the 9mm my minimum for light clothing. And with that, did order another new holster for the 1911 and am putting it back in the rotation for jeans and when dress code permits. In addition, I'm ordering a tuckable for the 9mm to hopefully eliminate the need for the .380, completely.

pmcdn

Post by pmcdn »

I carry my P250 SC 9mm loaded with Hornady Critical Duty rounds. I have gone back and forth on caliber in the past from 34, 40, to 9mm. I am comfortable with my 9mm in that I like the higher velocity, ease to shoot, and round capacity.

If I had been in that theater, I (like most of you) would have fought back. Body armor or not, I have read and believe that if you are being shot wearing a vest or whatever, it WILL impact you and make it much harder to focus on shooting back accurately.

FWIW, I have read recently that the CO shooter was not wearing body armor, or at least his vest was a tactical vest with all the pockets, but not kevlar.
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

tanker1983

Post by tanker1983 »

My EDC was also a Sig P238 before this incident. I now carry it only as my B.U.G. My primary is now my Kimber Series 1 Ultra Carry in .45ACP. 7+1 with 2 additional magazines.
FL CWP APRIL 2010
TX CHL MAY 2011
Kimber Ultra Carry I .45ACP
Glock 20SF 10mm
Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP
Taurus Judge Public Defender
Long guns.

" Never tell people how to do things. Just tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity " - GEN. George S. Patton

JDJ

Post by JDJ »

I am still comfortable with my current caliber and capacity. I carry a G23 with a .357sig barrel and one 15 round reload.
I am comfortable with 29 rounds of .357sig.

I often carry a G30SF with 11 rounds in the gun and a 13 round reload. I am also still comfortable with 24 rounds of .45.

I have alternated between these carries for 3.5 years and I won't be changing soon.
Those of you who think you know everything, are annoying those of us who do.
Silence is golden, duct tape is silver.[/color]

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

In one very simple word... NO. I have carried a PM 9 for almost four years now and I put it in the safe. I am now carrying a Glock .40 subcompact or my Kimber four inch .45. I carry one extra magazine in my left pants pocket. I decided my P380 was a bad choice a few months after buying it. That one is in the safe as well.

I am not disrespecting anyone here when I say this but .... I could not care less what anyone here thinks about "shot placement" "Kawasaki"' drills or "voodoo" dolls. I want a caliber that puts a BIG hole in my assailant. To each his own. I say, carry what makes you feel most comfortable. If a pea shooter is all it takes, great, you get to use up two less inches of space on the side of your leg. Lucky you. ;-)

jdkinman

Post by jdkinman »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Body armor isn't a panacea either. Ask someone who's been shot up close whether it hurt or not. It can the wind out of you. A double tap into body armor can drive you to your knees if it hurts enough.
Back in the late 80's, I (stupidly) volunteered to take some rounds while wearing Second Chance body armor as part of a LE demonstration and seminar.

The double-tap from the 9mm--plain 115FMJ, not souped up +P or anything like that--took me to my knees INSTANTLY. It felt like I'd been kicked by my old roping horse square in the chest. I was incapacitated on the spot.

The single shot from the 45ACP 230 round ball. . . I honestly thought I was dying such was the pain of the impact. It took all wind out of me and I had a difficult time regaining my breath--so much so that the paramedics and doctor who were there put the oxygen on me.

The bruising was ungodly and severe and I was sore to the touch for better than two weeks. What the body armor does is keep the bullet from penetrating and tearing your guts up and thus having you bleed out. It does absolutely zilch for negating any of the impact.

All this Hollywood garbage you see about bad guys wearing body armor and barely even flinching when taking a round is one-hundred percent bunk.

I'll guarantee you that had someone in that Aurora theater double-tapped this joker coward, he would've dropped his guns, fell to the floor and wailed and screamed like a jilted prom queen, end of story.

JD

ClarkLZeuss

Post by ClarkLZeuss »

This is a very good discussion to have, and thanks to all who provided real life info on body armor. That makes me more comfortable with my Kahr P9/ 7+1 / 9mm.

HOWEVER, it's more the incidents lately with guys drugged up on "bath salts" and what not that's got me thinking about a move up to a Glock 36 Slimline .45. It's only one less round than my Kahr, but the step up in caliber seems worth it to me. Plus, whenever I carry an extra mag for the Kahr, it has a bad habit of popping out a round or two sometimes. I've never liked how they design their mags, and am much more impressed with Glock mags. It could be that I carry the Kahr mag loosely in my pocket - I should have a mag pouch, but I don't want something else on my belt.

But as someone said, I have the other factors of stewarding money well and keeping the wife happy.
"Love always protects." (1 Corinthians 13:7)

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

Craig8d8 wrote:I carry a P238 when I have to tuck in my shirt. 95% of the time I'm carrying my G27 with the +1 extension and one chambered. But after this very sad situation I am ordering me a mag pouch to carry an extra G27 mag!! I doubt the .40 would have stopped this guy but probably better than a .380. I don't know. I've always like the two sayings...1) any caliber carry is better than none and 2) always carry what you can shoot! I like my brothers 1911 .45's but my shot placement is way better with my G27. So that goes on everyday before my wedding ring. Lol

On a side note, my wife and I were talking about this freak shooting today and she said "I will no longer question you when and where you wear your gun to anymore. All those people felt safe there!". That's what I've been preaching since day one! No one at Lubys that day should have felt the fear for their lives that day during lunch either! I will continue to strap up and avoid places that refuse to allow me to carry!

I carry a G27 for ease of concealment but 2nd mag is from a G17; More rounds and if I am into my second mag I am way past the point of being concerned with concealment!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ClarkLZeuss wrote:This is a very good discussion to have, and thanks to all who provided real life info on body armor. That makes me more comfortable with my Kahr P9/ 7+1 / 9mm.

HOWEVER, it's more the incidents lately with guys drugged up on "bath salts" and what not that's got me thinking about a move up to a Glock 36 Slimline .45. It's only one less round than my Kahr, but the step up in caliber seems worth it to me. Plus, whenever I carry an extra mag for the Kahr, it has a bad habit of popping out a round or two sometimes. I've never liked how they design their mags, and am much more impressed with Glock mags. It could be that I carry the Kahr mag loosely in my pocket - I should have a mag pouch, but I don't want something else on my belt.

But as someone said, I have the other factors of stewarding money well and keeping the wife happy.
When I was looking for a small, single stack, striker-fired .45, I narrowed my search down to the G36 and the Kahr CW45 pretty quickly. I bought the Kahr. I bought it for two reasons: 1) I already owned a PM9 and I like the Kahr platform, an 2) the Kahr was $399 versus $565 for the Glock in the same store (Cheaper than Dirt, Fort Worth). If you like your Kahr, take a look at the CW45. BTW, I have also pocket carried this gun, although it is better in a holster, and I have had none of the "rounds popping out" issue with the CW45 spare magazine which can happen with the 9mm. Also, with a fairly simple modification, you can adapt 1911 magazines to fit the CW45.

But the deal maker/breaker for me was the price. $166 difference for no appreciable increase in performance from the Glock made the Kahr the choice for me. Same nice Kahr trigger, etc. So if you like your Kahr, give the CW45 a look-see.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Shinesintx wrote:Are you still comfortable with your EDC caliber?
I've carried everyday for years. After the first 3 months where I carried a 9mm, never once have I carried a caliber that did not start with a "4". Usually a .45, sometimes a .40, rarely a .44.

So to answer your question, yes I am still comfortable.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

jdkinman wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: Body armor isn't a panacea either. Ask someone who's been shot up close whether it hurt or not. It can the wind out of you. A double tap into body armor can drive you to your knees if it hurts enough.
Back in the late 80's, I (stupidly) volunteered to take some rounds while wearing Second Chance body armor as part of a LE demonstration and seminar.

The double-tap from the 9mm--plain 115FMJ, not souped up +P or anything like that--took me to my knees INSTANTLY. It felt like I'd been kicked by my old roping horse square in the chest. I was incapacitated on the spot.

The single shot from the 45ACP 230 round ball. . . I honestly thought I was dying such was the pain of the impact. It took all wind out of me and I had a difficult time regaining my breath--so much so that the paramedics and doctor who were there put the oxygen on me.

The bruising was ungodly and severe and I was sore to the touch for better than two weeks. What the body armor does is keep the bullet from penetrating and tearing your guts up and thus having you bleed out. It does absolutely zilch for negating any of the impact.

All this Hollywood garbage you see about bad guys wearing body armor and barely even flinching when taking a round is one-hundred percent bunk.

I'll guarantee you that had someone in that Aurora theater double-tapped this joker coward, he would've dropped his guns, fell to the floor and wailed and screamed like a jilted prom queen, end of story.

JD
You got some stones. :tiphat: There ain't no way I would volunteer for that from any caliber.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

bauerdj wrote:
Craig8d8 wrote:I carry a P238 when I have to tuck in my shirt. 95% of the time I'm carrying my G27 with the +1 extension and one chambered. But after this very sad situation I am ordering me a mag pouch to carry an extra G27 mag!! I doubt the .40 would have stopped this guy but probably better than a .380. I don't know. I've always like the two sayings...1) any caliber carry is better than none and 2) always carry what you can shoot! I like my brothers 1911 .45's but my shot placement is way better with my G27. So that goes on everyday before my wedding ring. Lol

On a side note, my wife and I were talking about this freak shooting today and she said "I will no longer question you when and where you wear your gun to anymore. All those people felt safe there!". That's what I've been preaching since day one! No one at Lubys that day should have felt the fear for their lives that day during lunch either! I will continue to strap up and avoid places that refuse to allow me to carry!

I carry a G27 for ease of concealment but 2nd mag is from a G17; More rounds and if I am into my second mag I am way past the point of being concerned with concealment!
You better check your mags. Than 9mm is never gonna fit into that .40S&W.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

jdkinman wrote:I'll guarantee you that had someone in that Aurora theater double-tapped this joker coward, he would've dropped his guns, fell to the floor and wailed and screamed like a jilted prom queen, end of story.
I have a good visual image of that. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

WildBill wrote:
jdkinman wrote:I'll guarantee you that had someone in that Aurora theater double-tapped this joker coward, he would've dropped his guns, fell to the floor and wailed and screamed like a jilted prom queen, end of story.
I have a good visual image of that. :lol:
The only image popping into my mind is Carrie. That's not a good image.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”