July 23-27 instructor class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 4

Re: July 23-27 instructor class

Post by TexasGal »

They use targets that swing counter clockwise into position facing you. When you are signaled to fire, they stay facing you until the time is up for each string and then swing away from you. It is a little disconcerting at first, but the time allowed is no different than the regular CHL test. They do encourage you to shoot all double action, but it is not required. The rationale is we are carrying for self defense and double action shots are what would be used for that. Therefore it is what we should know how to do proficiently. I would practice both ways so you can have a choice either way. I decided the day of the qual to just go with all double action and did just fine. I did have a S&W that has a smooth trigger, though. There are lots of revolvers with a heavier trigger I would have trouble doing that with. Choice of revolver can make a difference.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Topic author
lowpull
Posts in topic: 2

Post by lowpull »

I disagree with the notion that someone would be firing only double action if they are carrying, but I digress.
I shot a single action super blackhawk ruger 44 for my chli revolver portion. I shot 246 and had plenty of time. I also shot the sig single action for first shot also, because thats the way Ive been shooting it since 94 and was shooting a 1911 before that. So its all about what you are used to and familiar with. If you are not used to shooting single action then it might cause a problem.

Hola Gato
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Hola Gato »

If instructors fail the shooting 3 times do they have to retake the whole week class?
I didn't vote for Obama.
Somebody else did that.

mommagamber
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mommagamber »

Hola Gato wrote:If instructors fail the shooting 3 times do they have to retake the whole week class?
No only the shooting portion.
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

Hola Gato

Post by Hola Gato »

mommagamber wrote:
Hola Gato wrote:If instructors fail the shooting 3 times do they have to retake the whole week class?
Is the same true for their students after they finally pass? I heard CHL applicants have to take the whole class again if we fail shooting three times. Is that a false rumor? Or do instructors get more chances to pass than their students?
I didn't vote for Obama.
Somebody else did that.

mommagamber

Post by mommagamber »

Hola Gato wrote:
mommagamber wrote:
Is the same true for their students after they finally pass? I heard CHL applicants have to take the whole class again if we fail shooting three times. Is that a false rumor? Or do instructors get more chances to pass than their students?
I don't have an official answer for you on that. It might be up to the teacher. I am sure that somebody with more knowledge can answer that question. Students only have to shoot a minimum of 175 while Instructors have to shoot a minimum of 225. If a student cannot shoot a 175 in three tries then maybe additional shooting instruction is required.

The instructor class if you fail the first 3 times you have to pay the fee again to get an additional 3 tries.

Hola Gato

Post by Hola Gato »

Thank you for the answer. It's interesting they require a new class fee but not class attendence.
I didn't vote for Obama.
Somebody else did that.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sjfcontrol »

mommagamber wrote:
Hola Gato wrote:
mommagamber wrote:
I don't have an official answer for you on that. It might be up to the teacher. I am sure that somebody with more knowledge can answer that question. Students only have to shoot a minimum of 175 while Instructors have to shoot a minimum of 225. If a student cannot shoot a 175 in three tries then maybe additional shooting instruction is required.

The instructor class if you fail the first 3 times you have to pay the fee again to get an additional 3 tries.
Well, since it's been brought up. Is there something in writing somewhere that says what happens if either a student or an instructor fails either the written or proficiency test three times? I don't think I've seen it. All I've seen is that they have 3 tries to pass.

It must be exceedingly rare in either (student or instructor) case.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

mommagamber

Post by mommagamber »

I only know about the instructor because I was in the position where I failed 2 times and passed on the 3 try. I have not ever been in a class or heard of anybody in a regular CHL class that did not pass within 3 tries. I am currently going through all the stuff from the instructor class and making my lesson plans. I will let you know if I come across anything.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”