need some Kahr PM9/CM9 opinions

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 3

need some Kahr PM9/CM9 opinions

Post by flechero »

So I have been considering another small/light 9mm for light attire carry. (to replace my PF-9) I think the Kahrs mentioned will suit my needs. I know the published differences in the two models and consider them mostly irrelevant for my intended purpose. I've read a few accounts that claim the PM9 actually shoots (feels) different. But, as I have not owned or fired either, I look to you guys for some real world feedback. I'm also not in an area with a range that has a rental option.

My current Kel-tec PF-9 has been flawless and I carry it with confidence, however, everyday I read (at KTOG) about short life expectancy and lots of issues that show up later... even on the one that were good at first. So my long term expectation for this gun is that it will need to be replaced in the carry rotation. I like to be proactive on this so I don't end up needing a new carry piece before it's broken in and proven.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the Kahrs or any other suitable, similarly sized option.

Thanks!

gfmun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: need some Kahr PM9/CM9 opinions

Post by gfmun »

They are different, they feel different. Even my wife can tell them apart by picking them up. That said, I think both are great. The CM9 broke in faster, it was good to go out of the box but it has a longer, stiffer recoil spring. The PM9 took a couple hundred rounds to start feeling good. The PM9 feels smoother, better finished all around but they both run without problems.

I guess it depends on your budget or how big a hurry you are in. I have seen some nicely priced PM9s used.

George

Oh, either way put the recoil spring in the right way when you clean them or they will not cycle.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I own a PM9, and my wife's EDC is a CW9—which is basically a CM9 with 1 more round of capacity and a .5" longer barrel.

The primary differences between the PM and CM/CW series of pistols are:

1. The PM series front sights are dovetailed into the slide. The CM/CW series front sights are pinned into the slide.

2. The PM series have more complex machining of the slide so they are not quite so angular.

3. The PM series have fancier engraving on the sides of the slide, whereas the information is laser etched on the CM/CW slides.

4. The PM9 has polygonal rifling. The CM/CW has regular land and groove rifling.

5. The PM series slides and slide stops are available with an optional matte blackened finish or the standard matte stainless finish. The CM/CW pistols are matte stainless only.

6. The slide stops on the PM pistols are machined, and on they CM/CW pistols they are cast.

The triggers are basically the same. The materials of both guns are basically the same. Function for both guns is the same. Both weigh the same and are the same size. The polygonal rifling is supposed to yield a few FPS more at the muzzle, but I don't think it is enough to matter. Accuracy for both pistols is about the same....which is to say decently accurate for a small pocketable 9mm. I would have no problem recommending the CM9 if price is your primary issue. The PM9 gives the impression of being a tad "nicer."

Hope that helps.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Kadelic

Post by Kadelic »

I've never handled or fired a PM9 but my CM9 has become my EDC this summer. I've only put 350 rounds through it in the four months I've had it but there hasn't been a single malfunction. A great little sub-compact 9mm IMO.
Honor Necessity

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

I've played with the CM9 at the gun shop quite a few times now while my wife was looking..... I can tell you without a doubt that if SHE gets one, I'm getting one too. That little guy is a great looking and great feeling gun. Small enough to replace the LCP as my backup pocket as well.
No More Signature

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate the info!

Not sure which way I'm leaning... $$ is not the issue, although it's a consideration.

The Annoyed Man

flechero wrote:Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate the info!

Not sure which way I'm leaning... $$ is not the issue, although it's a consideration.
If this helps.....

Black PM9 like mine (except mine has Trijicon night sights):
ImageImage

CM9
ImageImage
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

I just bought a CM-9 and really like it. I took it to the range for the 200 round break in and wore my thumb out stuffing mags 6 at a time. Had 2 minor ftf in the first 50 rounds...put another 75 through it with no issues and quit early. It conceals very easily in an iwb and a desantis pocket holster. I shot a smiley face on the last mag in the head of the silhouette and I'm not that good!!! You won't be disappointed!

PostShooter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PostShooter »

Has anyone heard of any plans by Kahr to come out with a matte black finish slide for the CM9? I know the SS slides tend to hold up better, but I don't really like anything shiny on my weapons. Just a personal preference. What are the odds, since the two are so identical, of being able to put a PM9 slide on a CM9? Doable? I like the PM9 well enough, but I like the price point on the CM9 even better! If I could find one at a gun show for under $400, I'd take it over an LC9, perhaps.

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

I picked up a CM9 today. I never could locate a PM9 to check out in person so I decided I would rather own and shoot a CM9 than waste time, gas and ammo dollars looking for a PM9. If I find the PM9 later and like it better, I'll buy it and sell the CM9.... but until then, I'll be shooting my newest addition. :fire :fire

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Keith

The Annoyed Man

PostShooter wrote:Has anyone heard of any plans by Kahr to come out with a matte black finish slide for the CM9? I know the SS slides tend to hold up better, but I don't really like anything shiny on my weapons. Just a personal preference. What are the odds, since the two are so identical, of being able to put a PM9 slide on a CM9? Doable? I like the PM9 well enough, but I like the price point on the CM9 even better! If I could find one at a gun show for under $400, I'd take it over an LC9, perhaps.
The optional black finished slide on the PM9 is stainless steel. It merely has a black melonite type finish on it. (Ditto the M&P series pistols.) The basic PM9 has a "unfinished" SS slide, but still has the fancier machining of the all black gun.

I don't know if the CM9 and PM9 frames are identical or not, so I couldn't tell you if they are interchangeable.
flechero wrote:I picked up a CM9 today. I never could locate a PM9 to check out in person so I decided I would rather own and shoot a CM9 than waste time, gas and ammo dollars looking for a PM9. If I find the PM9 later and like it better, I'll buy it and sell the CM9.... but until then, I'll be shooting my newest addition. :fire :fire

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Keith
FWIW, I found my PM9 used in a pawnshop in Balch Springs. I live in Grapevine, clear over on the other side of the metroplex. The gun was in "like new" condition. Really, it was. It has the black slide and night sight options. MSRP on that model is $958.00. I got mine for $550.00. A savings of $458.00 was worth the drive across town. I'm really happy with the gun, and it was worth the drive, but about 2 or 3 weeks after I bought my gun, Kahr announced the release of the CM9. Had I know it was coming, I might have waited and bought the CM9 instead......although at the time, the CM9 was really hard to find for a while—just like the M&P "Shield" and Springfield XDs have been more recently.

#TINVOWOOT

PostShooter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PostShooter »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The optional black finished slide on the PM9 is stainless steel. It merely has a black melonite type finish on it. (Ditto the M&P series pistols.) The basic PM9 has a "unfinished" SS slide, but still has the fancier machining of the all black gun.
Thanks TAM. As always, you're always a wealth of info.

doc540

Post by doc540 »

CM9 here in deep concealment

Not enough difference to matter when it's a daily beater.

compact
dependable
good trigger
7 round capacity
accurate

Budsgunshop.com has good prices on them
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Bud's has the PM9 in both slide finishes. Happy shopping.
Psalm 91:2

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

So far my CM9 has a perfect record for function. I did read the owners manual first (Yeah, I'm a geek), then carefully cleaned and lubed the pistol, and hand-cycled the slide many, many times before going to the range. Is that cheating? ;-)

The only problem I've had is that my trigger finger tends to drag a bit on the trigger guard. Personal ergonomics - your mileage may vary. In extended shooting sessions - not the intended use for the pistol - my finger can get a little tender there. Big deal.

It's not my first choice, as I prefer my Government Model .45, but it is a good choice for certain situations.

Bottom line: At this point I like my CM9 and I trust it.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”