COSTCO Gun Policy

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 14

Re: COSTCO Gun Policy

Post by wgoforth »

Oldgringo wrote:I wish I had a Costco with a Hearing Center closer to the home ranch in the Pineywoods. Costco's 1/4 pound polish with a soft drink for $1.50 is the best lunch deal in just about any town.

Oh, did I mention that I don't care about any Costco gun policy? They sell gun safes so they can't be too anti-2A, eh?
I understand, and am not trying to convince you otherwise. I have only been trying to make others aware in case it made a difference to them. My point is simply that if they feel this way, I don't care to give them my money. Similar if they have gun buster signs, I know they are not enforceable, but it displays an attitude that i don't care to fund. Your money, do as you please. :tiphat:
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith B
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Keith B »

I think the issue is if you search any large company (and even some small ones) you will find someone in the decision making chain that is anti-gun. Wal Mart, K-Mart, Sam's, Costco, or probably even Academy, and maybe even Cabela's and Bass Pro. Even though they may sell guns or gun related items at a all of these, someone in the management chain probably wishes they didn't.

As I mentioned earlier, the link to this appears to be a contracted Customer Service company for Costco that may handle external communications on the web or other types of customer relations. Whether the top dogs at Costco Corporate feel this way or not, someone in the customer relations side put this policy together, ran it by legal and it now represents their position on guns. I am sure that some of it was driven by the Erik Scott case, but they will never elude to that fact, they just say they don't want guns in the stores. However, it is not written into the policy, membership app or other material you receive, so if you are not aware of it, then there is nothing legally stopping you from carrying if the store is not posted in a legal manner.

Bottom line, you can choose to ignore their view, carry away and get what you want for a better price. Or, you can choose to not do business with them or any other store that has made public that they don't like guns, and find your items somewhere else; it's a personal decision that only YOU can make.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Right2Carry »

Unless I missed it somewhere in this thread, I don't see one shred of evidence of a written policy prohibiting members from carrying legally owned guns. Has anyone provided a written document from COSTCO that actually states that guns are forbidden? I was at COSTCO the other day and the only sign was the typical unlicensed handgun sign that most places post which has no legal bearing on CHL holders. Until someone can actually produce a membership agreement that states no guns I believe this to be nothing more than a rumor.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Right2Carry wrote:Unless I missed it somewhere in this thread, I don't see one shred of evidence of a written policy prohibiting members from carrying legally owned guns. Has anyone provided a written document from COSTCO that actually states that guns are forbidden? I was at COSTCO the other day and the only sign was the typical unlicensed handgun sign that most places post which has no legal bearing on CHL holders. Until someone can actually produce a membership agreement that states no guns I believe this to be nothing more than a rumor.
The link in the original post https://costco.egain.net/system/selfser ... ticle=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
appears to be a response from the Customer Service company site for Costco and they are responding to a quesiton. That would not legally be notification in Texas.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

Dreamliner wrote:I don't care for any place that charges you a membership to spend money shopping there.
That's a great reason not to go to gun shows. Charging you to get in to shop.

Many gun shows in Texas also post 30.06 signs. I have never seen one at a Costco. That's says to me that Costco is a lot more friendly to CHL than the gun shows.

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasGal »

The more experienced CHLs are not a problem carrying at a gun show, but how to know that about hundreds of people in a crowded room? It's not popular to post them, but how else would they handle it? There is the chance someone will just be too tempted to pull out a loaded gun to see if it fits that used holster.
Sorry, that was off-topic from Costco and more just on gun policies elsewhere. Back to the subject at hand.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Matt78665

Post by Matt78665 »

In my opinion give you money to a store that supports our 2nd amendment rights
"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."
St. Augustine

gras

Post by gras »

Matt78665 wrote:In my opinion give you money to a store that supports our 2nd amendment rights
I agree. I never saw a Costco with a 30.06 sign so I will shop there but won't go to any more gun shows that post a 30.06 sign. Even though my application is still processing, I will skip the shows until they stop posting the anti CHL sign. If I can find a local FFL who charges $10-15 for transfers, it's break even with the shows after paying to shop.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Oldgringo »

TexasGal wrote:The more experienced CHLs are not a problem carrying at a gun show, but how to know that about hundreds of people in a crowded room? It's not popular to post them, but how else would they handle it? There is the chance someone will just be too tempted to pull out a loaded gun to see if it fits that used holster.
Sorry, that was off-topic from Costco and more just on gun policies elsewhere. Back to the subject at hand.
I agree, some reason must prevail. OTOH, one can always boycott businesses, places, events, etc. where their CHL/CCW, for whatever reasons, are not welcome.

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

gras wrote:
Matt78665 wrote:In my opinion give you money to a store that supports our 2nd amendment rights
I agree. I never saw a Costco with a 30.06 sign so I will shop there but won't go to any more gun shows that post a 30.06 sign. Even though my application is still processing, I will skip the shows until they stop posting the anti CHL sign. If I can find a local FFL who charges $10-15 for transfers, it's break even with the shows after paying to shop.

What is the "consensus" on gun shows in City auditoriums? 30.06 valid?
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

apostate

Post by apostate »

wgoforth wrote:
gras wrote:Even though my application is still processing, I will skip the shows until they stop posting the anti CHL sign. If I can find a local FFL who charges $10-15 for transfers, it's break even with the shows after paying to shop.

30.06(e) seems pretty clear.

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

apostate wrote:
wgoforth wrote:
gras wrote:Even though my application is still processing, I will skip the shows until they stop posting the anti CHL sign. If I can find a local FFL who charges $10-15 for transfers, it's break even with the shows after paying to shop.

My take, but we keep talking about 30.06 at all gun shows, yet most are at city owned auditoriums. Or, is this a case of leased by a 3rd party and under their control?
NRA Life Member

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

wgoforth wrote:
apostate wrote:
wgoforth wrote:

My take, but we keep talking about 30.06 at all gun shows, yet most are at city owned auditoriums. Or, is this a case of leased by a 3rd party and under their control?
Again, a lessor cannot grant to the lessee, rights the lessor does not have. If I own property to which I don't own the mineral rights, I cannot lease the property to a drilling company to drill for oil, claiming they have 'control'.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Found out that Costco's co founder, Jim Sinegal, is an Obama fund raiser.

No shopping there for me.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Jasonw560 wrote:Found out that Costco's co founder, Jim Sinegal, is an Obama fund raiser.

No shopping there for me.
Hmm, I guess he didn't build Costco himself, someone else did it for him. :evil2:
Keith

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”