looking for a barrel...

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
teraph
Posts in topic: 2

looking for a barrel...

Post by teraph »

I am currently looking at creating an extremely light weight AR-15 for a friend of mine and she wants it as light as possible. I already got her to pick up a carbon fiber lower to help cut down on weight but what I am currently having issues finding is a light weight barrel that can be used for long periods of time on the firing line. About a year or so ago, I remember seeing an AR-15 with a new type of barrel. It had a pencil profile but the barrel was only the core. It had an aluminum shell that allowed it to be extremely light weight, accurate and be used for long periods of fire without losing too much in group size. Does anyone have an idea of where I can find one for her? Thanks :tiphat:
This We'll Defend

comp73

Re: looking for a barrel...

Post by comp73 »

I haven't been able to find one in .223, just 22LR. Description fits though. Steel core with an aluminum shell

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2680 ... -Barrel-MS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any chance it was a dedicated AR in 22LR?
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
teraph

Post by teraph »

Thanks, and you might be right that it was a dedicated 22LR. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
This We'll Defend

comp73

Post by comp73 »

Palmetto state has pencil barrels for a pretty good price, $149.99, made by FN.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... arrel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also have them in "lighter" profile, in 14.7" and 16".
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”