Two Years

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SecedeTX
Posts in topic: 1

Two Years

Post by SecedeTX »

I have not posted in a while. Out of the country, busy, kids, yadda yadda yadda.

It has now been two years since I have had my CHL. It has been a journey, and I have learned a good number of things. Just for background, since I received my CHL I have tried to carry at all times when legally possible. It has been tough, and I have inadvertently messed up a few times. Here are some of my lessons

I have a pile of 12 different holsters, I only use one 95% of the time (crossbreed supertuck), the other is a pocket holster.

The general public is clueless that you are carrying. Get over it. You are more paranoid than you need to be.

Carry to the point that it feels odd that you are not carrying. If you forget your wallet, it should feel the same as forgetting your sidearm.

You are no different when carrying or not. A gun should not effect your attitude. (Your not a superhero)

Safety Safety Safety. I have younger kids, so even more so for me, but don't ever assume anything.

CHL holders are in general really cool people.

Sorry for being off the forum for so long, but the places I have been working don't do the "internet" thing really well, and what time I do have is spent emailing the wife and kids!
"Do or Do Not, there is no try" -- Yoda

C-dub

Re: Two Years

Post by C-dub »

Welcome back. BTW, :iagree:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

SecedeTX wrote:You are no different when carrying or not. A gun should not effect your attitude.
Welcome back. :patriot:

I am going to disagree on this point.
Attitude Definition:
1. Manner, disposition, feeling, position, etc., with regard to a person or thing; tendency or orientation, especially of the mind: a negative attitude; group attitudes.

2. position or posture of the body appropriate to or expressive of an action, emotion, etc.: a threatening attitude; a relaxed attitude.
Physically, I am not different as a person, but my ability to defend myself is enhanced. When I carry, I feel that I am more confident and capable of defending myself against people who wish to do me harm. I feel it affects my attitude in a positive way.
NRA Endowment Member

74novaman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 74novaman »

WildBill wrote:
SecedeTX wrote:You are no different when carrying or not. A gun should not effect your attitude.

Attitude Definition:
1. Manner, disposition, feeling, position, etc., with regard to a person or thing; tendency or orientation, especially of the mind: a negative attitude; group attitudes.

2. position or posture of the body appropriate to or expressive of an action, emotion, etc.: a threatening attitude; a relaxed attitude.
Physically, I am not different as a person, but my ability to defend myself is enhanced. When I carry, I feel that I am more confident and capable of defending myself against people who wish to do me harm. I feel it affects my attitude in a positive way.
I'm agreeing with your disagreement, but for a different reason. :biggrinjester:

The other day, I went to a nice restaurant, and sat outside on the deck with my wife. An older biker guy with a beard came out at least twice to smoke on the deck, well within the legal "do not smoke" distance from the door and in close proximity to our table.

I did not say anything, even though I absolutely despise cigarette smoke, because I was carrying. I did not want to "start a confrontation" that might have ended with me needing to use my CHL to defend my life.

Other than that, excellent points. Most folks aren't observant, and you should be carrying everywhere. :tiphat:
TANSTAAFL

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Maybe WildBill and 74novaman are both correct about their attitude changes when carrying. It gives you a "quiet confidence". You stick to YOUR knitting as the saying goes, but on the other hand, you don't have to feel fully vulnerable, either. I imagine that a practiced swordsman from a bygone era might have felt the same way when he strapped on his steel before leaving his home, too. :thumbsup:

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Heartland Patriot wrote: I imagine that a practiced swordsman from a bygone era might have felt the same way when he strapped on his steel before leaving his home, too. :thumbsup:
Since I used to fence competitively, can I claim to be a practiced swordsman as well? :mrgreen:
TANSTAAFL

91wm6

Post by 91wm6 »

As a fairly recent concealed carrier I would like to agree with the point made about general attitude while carrying. While carrying a firearm we have the means to hurt, maim and even take life if necessary ; thus we have a responsibility/ obligation to avoid doing so under normal circumstances. That includes being willing to "turn the other cheek" or even allow ourselves to appear weak by actively avoiding confrontation. Personally I am fine with doing this, especially when the tradeoff is being able to defend my life and the lives of my family should a truly dangerous situation occur.
Other than that good observations op...

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

91wm6 wrote:As a fairly recent concealed carrier I would like to agree with the point made about general attitude while carrying. While carrying a firearm we have the means to hurt, maim and even take life if necessary ; thus we have a responsibility/ obligation to avoid doing so under normal circumstances. That includes being willing to "turn the other cheek" or even allow ourselves to appear weak by actively avoiding confrontation. Personally I am fine with doing this, especially when the tradeoff is being able to defend my life and the lives of my family should a truly dangerous situation occur.
Other than that good observations op...
Welcome to the forum. :tiphat: You mirror my thoughts on the matter perfectly.
TANSTAAFL

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Sadly.... my middle finger sees virtually no action these days. :biggrinjester:
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

EvilNuff

Post by EvilNuff »

74novaman wrote:
Heartland Patriot wrote: I imagine that a practiced swordsman from a bygone era might have felt the same way when he strapped on his steel before leaving his home, too. :thumbsup:
Since I used to fence competitively, can I claim to be a practiced swordsman as well? :mrgreen:
As a fellow former competitive fencer, I say yes. :)

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

Heartland Patriot wrote:Maybe WildBill and 74novaman are both correct about their attitude changes when carrying. It gives you a "quiet confidence". You stick to YOUR knitting as the saying goes, but on the other hand, you don't have to feel fully vulnerable, either. I imagine that a practiced swordsman from a bygone era might have felt the same way when he strapped on his steel before leaving his home, too. :thumbsup:
I'll take your agreement. :lol:

I remember something that my CHL instructor told us in class. He said that his CHL was a license for him to eat a lot of crow. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

WildBill wrote:

Attitude Definition:

I thought you were going to quote the definition for "effect" compared to "affect" :lol:

johnmed3

Post by johnmed3 »

surferdaddy wrote:Sadly.... my middle finger sees virtually no action these days. :biggrinjester:
:lol: lol :lol: !!!
Class taken: 06/04/11
Packet mailed: 06/0611
Packet received:06/08/11
Background check completed: 07/29/11
Manufacturing pending: 07/30/11
Plastic received 08/06/11.

American by birth, Texan by the grace of god!
NRA Member.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”