Are you still comfortable?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Shinesintx
Posts in topic: 5

Are you still comfortable?

Post by Shinesintx »

Are you still comfortable with your EDC caliber? This whole Colorado shooting has caused me to rethink my EDC. I have been carrying a P238 Sig for about a year now. Its part of me. I put on my watch, my wedding ring, put my wallet and phone in my pocket along with my Benchmade Kulgera...and I am out the door only when my little Sig is IWB in a DM Bullard. I have been of mind that a .380 is better than nothing, but this shooter would probably not have even noticed 7 rounds of .380.

According to reports, he was wearing: Ballistic helmet, Ballistic vest, Ballistic leggings, with throat and groin protectors.

The odds of me ever being in a situation where I faced someone with this much of an advantage are extremely thin...but its got me bothered. I am thinking about either getting a P239 in .40 or wearing my G33 or CW40. I have never really cared for carrying an extra mag or thought that I needed more capacity. I am seriously thinking that my thinking is flawed.

I also made a promise to myself to start attending IDPA events. I need to be better, much better.

Am I nutts, or are you of the same mind?

Craig8d8
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Are you still comfortable?

Post by Craig8d8 »

I carry a P238 when I have to tuck in my shirt. 95% of the time I'm carrying my G27 with the +1 extension and one chambered. But after this very sad situation I am ordering me a mag pouch to carry an extra G27 mag!! I doubt the .40 would have stopped this guy but probably better than a .380. I don't know. I've always like the two sayings...1) any caliber carry is better than none and 2) always carry what you can shoot! I like my brothers 1911 .45's but my shot placement is way better with my G27. So that goes on everyday before my wedding ring. Lol

On a side note, my wife and I were talking about this freak shooting today and she said "I will no longer question you when and where you wear your gun to anymore. All those people felt safe there!". That's what I've been preaching since day one! No one at Lubys that day should have felt the fear for their lives that day during lunch either! I will continue to strap up and avoid places that refuse to allow me to carry!
Gen3 Glock 22-gone but kinda missed
Gen4 Glock 27-EDC-DeSantis IWB holster
Sig P238 two tone with rose wood grips

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

The video of the CCW holder in Florida a couple of weeks ago shooting a .380 in the internet cafe was enough evidence for me to not even consider carrying a .380.

Choctaw

Post by Choctaw »

Blindref757 wrote:The video of the CCW holder in Florida a couple of weeks ago shooting a .380 in the internet cafe was enough evidence for me to not even consider carrying a .380.
I agree, conformation of my feelings about the caliber.
35 days...mailbox to mailbox

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

I'm fine with my .45's. In a situation like the movie theater shooting I would rather have my rifle. However, it's not that reasonable to carry around a rifle all the time and especially into places of business. With all the gun buster signs and unlicensed possession signs around, would it even be legal to carry a rifle inside a place like that? Wouldn't the unlicensed possession sign cover a rifle?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

Caliber wars! Round 100! FIGHT!!!

Seriously. Again? Anyways, I am comfortable carrying my .32acp Seecamp. Its there, always, just in case. If someone attempts to mug me, rob me, or carjack me its there and I feel comfortably deploying it to stop the threat. I certainly feel that a larger caliber would be more effective but I don't feel as comfortable carrying anything larger nor do I have the money to buy anything larger caliber. Its mostly the money though. I'm not going to stop carrying or go into debt or spend a week on the couch (exile from the bedroom for unauthorized purchases!) to buy a gun.

cubbyjg

Post by cubbyjg »

Shinesintx wrote:According to reports, he was wearing: Ballistic helmet, Ballistic vest, Ballistic leggings, with throat and groin protectors.
If the reports are true, does it even matter what pistol caliber a person carries when confronted by an individual wielding a rifle, handgun and body armor? I carry either 9mm or 45acp and will continue to do so. IMO, carry what you are proficient with and are willing to carry at ALL times when possible.
Hook'em Horns!
Class of 2007

“I am actually for gun control. Use both hands." - Gov. Rick Perry

AlphaWhiskey

Post by AlphaWhiskey »

I had gotten real comfortable carrying my .380 in my pocket, especially in shorts during the summer. It went from "just for quick trips" to pretty much every day. I was starting to question this practice when the shooting happened in CO. I am now convinced I need to go back to my 9mm with spare mag(s) for EDC. I think I read somewhere here on the forum that being armed and prepared is not about being comfortable. I don't think it means you need to be uncomfortable, but do agree with the spirit of the statement. I am not debating calibers or stopping power, and I really don't think it would have mattered which I carried had I been in that theater in Aurora. It was just another solid reminder that bad things can and do happen to good people when they least expect it. YMMV

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I think I'll carry my primary .45 more often and leave the BUG for BUG or deep cover.

In this case I think the best tactic would have been to get as close as possible and shoot him in the face, no matter what caliber you are using.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I'm not changing calibers because I already carry a Five Seven. However, Aurora got me off the fence on ammo and I picked up some EA PenetraTOR that will defeat level IIA armor. I'll begin carrying a spare mag full of it with SS198 in the gun itself.

LCP is my backup, but I'm seriously considering a pocket 9mm and have been for a while. The LCP is so easy I'm afraid I'm getting complacent...
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

Too many people carry convenient and not realistic. Mouse guns are better than nothing but I am not going to chance my life on it
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

My EDC is a Springfield XD40. I haven't been carrying any spare mags for most of my time since I've had a CHL, but did get a double mag carrier prior to going to Front Sight earlier this year simply because they required it.

I've carried the spare mags off and on since returning from Front Sight. After the shooting in Colorado, I will carry extra mags always.

I like the .40 round and won't be changing my caliber. I'll just be changing the amount of the caliber.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

just got back from the range

My PF9 works, but hurt my thumb bone the Taurus PT709 is infinitely more comfortable in my hand as far as felt recoil and will move into my BUG pocket while I will probably sell the PF9 ... I enjoyed shooting the Taurus PT709, not the Keltec PF9 (but I kinda like the P11 ok)

My XD45 works, comfortable shooter, better than many 45s recoil is good, but I used tooo many shims on the front sight so it shoots way low and a tad to the right (not just for me) Front sight changing on an XD is a pain so it will be a house gun for room distances with an added flashlight on the rail.

The Glock 26 I carry ... everyone who saw me shoot today said "carry that" and I said ... I do.

So, my EDC BUG is changing. From PF9 to PT709
My Glock 26 with a Glock 19 mag +3 Pierce PG30 extension and rubber mag spacer and extended ported wolf barrel ... I'm a darn good shot with; EVEN RAPID FIRE ... it stays.
=========================

My previously unfired Diamondback DB380 I took, to see if it worked, it's a light weight elastic waistband pajamas pistol; ... worked flawlessly with +P ammo; I like it; so I might get a DB9 after selling/trading the PF9
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have two pocket sized guns that I carry occasionally. One is a 9mm. The other is a .357 magnum. Both are calibers that will get the job done. But my two primary carry guns are both .45 ACP pistols, as are the two other large framed pistols that I occasionally carry. So no, I don't feel like I need to revisit caliber. If you tag someone in the vitals with a good +P 9mm, they're going to be hit pretty much as hard as if they'd been shot with a .40 or a .45. And .357 magnums have accounted for an awful lot of 1 shot stops over the years. But I absolutely will not carry a .380 or some smaller caliber.

To me, the issue isn't caliber so much as capacity. My EDC is a CW45, and while it isn't a 3" 1911, it has the same limitation as a 3" 1911.......capacity. I don't plan on getting into a running gun battle. Not ever. But, men make plans, and God directs their path, as the Good Book says. The whole reason I recently acquired a XDm 45 Compact is that it has a higher capacity than my Kahr without the bulk of a full-sized gun. My CW45 remains my primary EDC simply because it is smaller and lighter and easier to carry, but I have begun carrying the XDm precisely when I am placing myself into situations (like movie theaters) where rapid egress may not be as easily accomplished and the tactical situation may be more confusing or confining. The XDm also has an excellent set of night sights on it. But when I'm driving around, I don't worry about that so much. My SUV is a much more potent weapon than any pistol if capacity is an issue, and I can use it to di-di mau out of there.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

AEA

Post by AEA »

:iagree:

My Summer EDC is a 9mm EMP with 25rds of Federal 124g +P HST.

Those that know a standard 9mm EMP magazine is 9 rounds are probably wondering about my math above. My custom modified mags (by LogMan) remove the standard EMP mag plastic base and have a welded stainless base that fits flush in the gun. It reduces the round count by 1 for each mag.

I still LOVE my Gemini Customs SP101 .357 but I only carry it for quick trips to local stores out here in the Country. Need a little quicker reload ability for City travels.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”