Coworkers CHL brother stops armed robbery

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Coworkers CHL brother stops armed robbery

Post by RPB »

doc540 wrote:
kyreb wrote:I also think he shot it dry and did not reload. ( no extra mags one might assume) Something else to address on my part.
Yes, plenty in that video to consider.

But notice at the very end how he looks down at his gun.

The slide's not locked back.

Hmmmmm.........
Some guns don't lock the slide back after it's empty to save weight or something they leave the slide lock out.
Example: Rohrbaugh R9 And 380 don't lock the slide back, either manually or with an empty mag.
The Diamondback DB380 and DB9 (http://diamondbackfirearms.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)do not have a slide lock feature.
Raven MP 25 and Jennings J22 don't hold slides open after mag is empty IIRC
Last edited by RPB on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

koolaid
Posts in topic: 1

Post by koolaid »

I wonder how many of the people that were in that room are going to end up with CHLs. Hopefully all of them but two.

That is a seriously brave dude.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

Topic author
kyreb
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kyreb »

RHenriksen wrote:
kyreb wrote:Here in Houston, I run around in shorts and a tee shirt most of the time. Dressed as such, I find myself with a .380 loaded with PowerBall in my pocket holstered much of the time.
I also wear a t shirt & (cargo) shorts frequently. But the shorts have belt loops, and I wear a gun belt, IWB holster, and either an 8 round 9mm or a 16 round .40 caliber.

Nothing about shorts & a tshirt requires you to carry just a mouse gun!
I never said "required". However, a back problem disallows me the use of an IWB holster.
NRA Endowment Member
Unrepentant Hobbyist

schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

i want to buy that guy a beer!!

Salty1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Salty1 »

"To me the DA should arrest the old guy for assault with a deadly weapon. From the video he obviously fired at least two shots after he was no longer in fear for his life. The last shot he fired as the man was scrambling away on the ground was clearly illegal."

I am sure happy that your not a DA determining exactly when a persons life is no longer in danger. At what point during their attempted escape did you determine that they would not turn around and return fire with absolute certainty that the situation is over? I watched the video many times and am unable to come up with the same conclusion as you have.
Salty1

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RHenriksen »

Salty, he was Joe King
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

Salty1 wrote:"To me the DA should arrest the old guy for assault with a deadly weapon. From the video he obviously fired at least two shots after he was no longer in fear for his life. The last shot he fired as the man was scrambling away on the ground was clearly illegal."

I am sure happy that your not a DA determining exactly when a persons life is no longer in danger. At what point during their attempted escape did you determine that they would not turn around and return fire with absolute certainty that the situation is over? I watched the video many times and am unable to come up with the same conclusion as you have.
I am curious how can you tell the was not in fear for his life? can you say for sure the would not go outside and comeback in? What statue of FL law says you CAN"T shoot a fleeing felon? Sorry just because someone leaves does not mean the fight is over, too many times they go out and regroup and come back in.

I can tell you this FL is a lot like Texas; He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

Keith B
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Keith B »

barstoolguru wrote:
Salty1 wrote:"To me the DA should arrest the old guy for assault with a deadly weapon. From the video he obviously fired at least two shots after he was no longer in fear for his life. The last shot he fired as the man was scrambling away on the ground was clearly illegal."

I am curious how can you tell the was not in fear for his life? can you say for sure the would not go outside and comeback in? What statue of FL law says you CAN"T shoot a fleeing felon? Sorry just because someone leaves does not mean the fight is over, too many times they go out and regroup and come back in.

I can tell you this FL is a lot like Texas; He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony
First off, Salty1 didn't write the whole post, the first paragraph was written by phillip964. Secondly, phillip964 was not serious and was being facetious.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Who robs an internet cafe?

The gun carrier was still a threat crawling on the ground since he still had a weapon in his possession, and the bat carrier should have had the higher bail for his stupidity bringing a baseball bat to a gunfight.

The CHL holder did good.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Blindref757 wrote:1. Glad I don't live in California if a jury would find this man guilty of anything.
2. Being that the Zimmerman case is so screwed up right now, it might be best that these bad guys lived and that there is video of what CC is for and how it is properly used.
3. A .380 just went off my list. I have long entertained the idea of pocket carry with a .380 Bodyguard or LCR. Not anymore.
4. The bonds for the BG's are insanely low IMHO...30K for the gun toter and 11K for the bat toter. They will be back on the street by Labor Day.

Labor Day?

They'll be back out by Wednesday with those bond numbers.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Don't leave home without it!

COP to Robber: "What did the old guy look like?
Robber: "A great big gun with feet!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Keith B »

LeonCarr wrote:Who robs an internet cafe?

LeonCarr
Apparently Florida has initiated on-line gaming and they use the Internet Cafe's as official game locations, so they can be taking in substantial amounts of money, many times cash.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Keith B wrote:

LeonCarr
Apparently Florida has initiated on-line gaming and they use the Internet Cafe's as official game locations, so they can be taking in substantial amounts of money, many times cash.
In the video I think I saw what also looked to be an 8-line style of "gaming machines." That would also explain a possible motive...as in $$$$$. :tiphat:

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Believe one of the articles said that one of the BGs had worked there, and knew there was cash on hand. They also wanted to take wallets & phones from all the customers.
PUCKER wrote:
Keith B wrote:

LeonCarr
In the video I think I saw what also looked to be an 8-line style of "gaming machines." That would also explain a possible motive...as in $$$$$. :tiphat:
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

cewait

Post by cewait »

My take away

--- "We did not expect anyone to be armed." As long as this is a common belief where money may be readily taken like a convenience sure, etc. the BG will think they have the upper hand

But as a recent CHL class attendee this raises a newbie question, if this were Texas and we had 'gaming' facilities would concealed weapons be disallowed like at the track?

Return to “The Crime Blotter”