Texas License Plate Law?????

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Texas License Plate Law?????

Post by sjfcontrol »

C-dub wrote:I don't remember hearing that this has been fixed yet. Not only is there no fine, but the requirement for BOTH plates was accidentally removed.

Thanks for volunteering to be the test case Crossfire.
"rlol" Well, crossfire, when you get there, perhaps you could tell Justice Roberts "what for"! :smilelol5:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Crossfire »

sjfcontrol wrote:
C-dub wrote:I don't remember hearing that this has been fixed yet. Not only is there no fine, but the requirement for BOTH plates was accidentally removed.

Thanks for volunteering to be the test case Crossfire.
"rlol" Well, crossfire, when you get there, perhaps you could tell Justice Roberts "what for"! :smilelol5:
You guys are all so incredibly helpful. :roll:
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

So did you get a warning or a citation?

If the latter, I'd get copies of the revised law and set a court date.
Let us know when that is, should be fun

Rex, who has no front plate on 3 of 5 vehicles
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

OK, here is some info

http://www.tmcec.com/public/files/File/ ... -texas.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was a request to the AG for an opinion, but not sure he has made one yet (can't find one anyway) https://www.oag.state.tx.us/opinions/op ... 1014GA.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought I read somewhere that many departments were told by their DA's to continue on writing tickets just as they had before and let the person fight it out in court.

You might contact this attorney if they wrote you a ticket, but I am assuming you just got a warning and don't want that ticket. :thumbs2:
http://dallasattorney.com/blog/114-no-f ... ey-element" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I got a written warning. So, no test case here. At least not yet. And it was a DPS officer in Hood county. Your attorney link would be great, but only handles Dallas county cases.

Officer believed me that I just got the plates, since I still have the dealer plate that is unexpired, and I do have the other plate. It's just in the trunk.

I really think he was more concerned about the window tint. He seemed pretty surprised when it passed. The car is blackberry, (more black than berry.) The back windows are limousine tint, so the front windows look very dark when looking at it in passing.

I probably will put the front plate on, just to keep the harassment to a minimum. It just annoys me that, looking around after getting stopped, probably 10% of the cars on the road have no front plate. So, this must be only selectively enforced.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

Crossfire wrote:I got a written warning. So, no test case here. At least not yet. And it was a DPS officer in Hood county. Your attonrey link would be great, but only handles Dallas county cases.

Officer believed me that I just got the plates, since I still have the dealer plate that is unexpired, and I do have the other plate. It's just in the trunk.

I really think he was more concerned about the window tint. He seemed pretty surprised when it passed. The car is blackberry, (more black than berry.) The back windows are limousine tint, so the front windows look very dark when looking at it in passing.

I probably will put the front plate on, just to keep the harassment to a minimum. It just annoys me that, looking around after getting stopped, probably 10% of the cars on the road have no front plate. So, this must be only selectively enforced.
I bought a new car and got two plates. Both are mounted. My old car has only the back plate displayed. It has been that way since I bought it in 1996. I have been stopped twice [once in California and once in Texas] and gotten verbal warnings. The other plate is in the trunk and I have every intention of mounting it on the front bumper.
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Crossfire wrote:I got a written warning. So, no test case here. At least not yet. And it was a DPS officer in Hood county. Your attorney link would be great, but only handles Dallas county cases.

So, now for the important quesiton; How did he handle you CHL and being armed?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jimlongley »

Crossfire wrote:I got a written warning. So, no test case here. At least not yet. And it was a DPS officer in Hood county. Your attorney link would be great, but only handles Dallas county cases.

I would still insist that the dealership put the plate on. Show them the warning and point out that it was they that caused you to get stopped.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Keith B wrote:So, now for the important quesiton; How did he handle you CHL and being armed?
Just like it was nothing. He didn't even ask for ID until after we had chatted about the window tint, the license plates, and how I liked my new Charger.
When I gave him my license, he asked if I had a handgun on me, and I answered "Yes sir, of course." He said "allright, then", handed me back my CHL and took my DL back to his car to print the warning ticket.

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PUCKER »

Two cop buddies of mine (one a motorjock and the other SWAT) are aware of the legislature's "goof up"...we were talking about it the other day, they were surprised that I knew about it....my response: "Well, yeah, I drive a Corvette, no front plate..." :biggrinjester:

From my chats with other vette owners, it seems that in their experience that its mostly TX DPS officers that have pulled them over / wrote a ticket for no front plate.

My Dad's new ride is not running a front plate either, '13 MB SL550R (he "upgraded" from a beat-up '03 Chevy Cavalier :biggrinjester: )

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 6

Post by E.Marquez »

Keith B wrote: There was a request to the AG for an opinion, but not sure he has made one yet (can't find one anyway) https://www.oag.state.tx.us/opinions/op ... 1014GA.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RQ-1014-GA shows as "withdrawn"
https://www.oag.state.tx.us/opin/index_rq.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose that could mean it was resubmitted later with different wording (and as i don't know the new? number, it could be there) or withdrawn could mean just that.... with no further action :headscratch
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 5

Post by tomneal »

"Voting with my feet"
I have a 2005 Sebring with an above average number of door dings and other minor flaws.
When my 7 year replacement plates came in, I removed the front plate. Frame and all.

The front plate is still on my wife's vehicle.

The legislature can't correct the law until 2013 or until the governor calls a special session. When the law is changed, I will decide whether to put the plate back on, or not.

Your mileage may vary!
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by gdanaher »

What's the rule about a plate that is perfectly legible but whose reflective surface no longer reflects? I have a specialty plate that can be used on multiple vehicles--same number on all cars. The plates on my car were new in 1995. They've been on 3 or 4 cars, but since they aren't dinged, I use them and keep the new ones they send me on the shelf. No rule that says I have to have a new plate--just that the plate must agree with the registration. I currently have a lifetime supply--2 new sets of blue on white stamped, 2 sets of red, white, and blue flat digital, and one of the new black and burnt orange on white digitals. One of these days those on the car might need to be replaced!!

rm9792
Posts in topic: 13

Post by rm9792 »

gdanaher wrote:What's the rule about a plate that is perfectly legible but whose reflective surface no longer reflects? I have a specialty plate that can be used on multiple vehicles--same number on all cars. The plates on my car were new in 1995. They've been on 3 or 4 cars, but since they aren't dinged, I use them and keep the new ones they send me on the shelf. No rule that says I have to have a new plate--just that the plate must agree with the registration. I currently have a lifetime supply--2 new sets of blue on white stamped, 2 sets of red, white, and blue flat digital, and one of the new black and burnt orange on white digitals. One of these days those on the car might need to be replaced!!
From the DMV site:
We can't expect license plates to last forever. Exposure to dust, dirt, rain, and wind gradually strips the license plates of their reflective coating. To help make sure vehicles are easily identifiable on state roads, the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires that drivers obtain new license plates - both a front license plate and a rear license plate - every seven years.

Although I have had the same plates on my Dodge Ram since 1999 when new. I have never mounted the front so it is still shiny and newish. The back is faded pretty bad though.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

They sent me new plates with my registration renewal this year. Different numbers, so they had to be used.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”