Stages of Waiting

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rickyrick
Posts in topic: 4

Stages of Waiting

Post by rickyrick »

After observing for a while and going through the wait myself, I can distinguish different stages of waiting and the psychological stages.

Day # 1: You are confident and feeling good. You have completed all of your training, got your finger prints done. You have mailed the documents off after checking and rechecking them. You're very optimistic because you sent them priority mail with a return receipt, "this should kick-start the process" you think to yourself.

One week after mailing:
"No updates, what could be wrong? Did the packet get lost?" You consider calling DPS. In fact, you did call but hung up after 30 minutes on hold. You turn to the Internet and find this forum. Now you find out you have another week to wait. Seems normal according to the forum members. NO need to panic.

Documents Recieved day:
"Allright!" most of the stuff has a green check mark, is in a green box and has some sort of confirmation after each item. "Background check under review"...."Oh, I got this in the bag, my background is squeaky clean, that should only take a few days."

End of first week in background check:
You think, "What's up with this?" After all, you're clean..... Time to check the forum. "ok, let's see.....there's a couple of people that only took a week in background check, I'm still good."......."Whoa!!!, there's one that took 71 days!!!! I mean wholly cow!!!!!" ...." But, that's not me."

Week two background check:
You basically spend most of this week checking on your status five or more times a day. If you have time you check out the other sections; such as the off limits areas and new to chl. Your inpatients mounts.

Week three, or whatever!who cares:
Much of this week is like the last week except you start to accept your fate. You are still frustrated, but what can you do. You are seriously considering calling DPS. "geeze, that guy took 71 days before he got plastic in hand"......."hope mine don't take that long"......"Wait just a darned minute!!!!! There's one that submitted after me and they got their plastic. That's bull hockey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

.......Ok that's all I got for now. Y'all feel free to add to it.

Topic author
rickyrick

Re: Stages of Waiting

Post by rickyrick »

Oh yeah, by the third week you can type your dl# ssn and dob with your non dominant hand while brushing your teeth on your iPhone

ayermedic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ayermedic »

Week 4!!! OMG am I that 71 day guy! :cryin Let's see here is a section with a poll of wait times....hmmmmm 30% of people went past greater than 28 days in background check, Seriously? WOW!....How much greater???....maybe...71 days! This is crazy, I'm gonna call and see what's up, How the hell do you get a 10 day background check anyway??? must be a nun!... or geez must be a 21 year old Navy SEAL with a Top Secret Clearence working as security for Rick Perry. I'll call @ about 4 o'clock maybe it will change before then... :waiting: tick tock tick tock... WOW! It's 4 O'clock, no change, THAT'S IT! I'm gonna call...then again...maybe that's why that guy went 71 days, he ticked them off! and they showed him what a real wait is all about!!! :grumble Damn...It's 4:15, the heck with it I'M REALLY CALLING THIS TIME! dial, dial, dial, ring, ring..YES... Hi :tiphat: I am calling about my CHL....yes... my Dl# sure1234567...everything's fine you say....no problems eh (not from where I'm sitting) what, what, you say it's in printing! you mean they are prtinting it! really! :woohoo well uhhh ok then thanks cool. have a good day...click. WOW!!! I got to go check the website I got to see this!...what!....NO CHANGE! UGH! when do they update this thing??? Was this guy just shining me on??? Maybe that was the janitor trying to be funny....or they just wanna get me off the phone, it was after all 4 o'clock...4:15 actually...I'll check again at 5! Sure, certainly when every one is gone at 5pm maybe they update the computer on the way out the door!!! :mrgreen: it could happen! ok... here we go dl# 1234...
Last edited by ayermedic on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

teri
Posts in topic: 1

Post by teri »

"rlol" "rlol" "rlol"

I think you all nailed it! LOL If only you had posted these when I first started waiting I would have tried to chill out a little.

At least while I wait I get to learn lots of cool tips from the experts. :thumbs2:
6/2/12 - CHL Class
7/20/12 - Plastic in hand!

~Do it today! It might be illegal tomorrow. - author unknown~

apostate

Post by apostate »

You missed a few stages. There are officially five.

1. Denial
My background is clean. I double checked my paperwork and sent it certified mail. This should be quick.

2. Anger
What's taking so long? This isn't fair! Why is this happening to me? Who is at fault for the delays?

3. Bargaining
I'll do anything to get my license this week. Please, please, please, please, please!

4. Depression
I give up. It's never coming. I don't know why I bothered to apply. It's not even worth carrying in my car.

5. Acceptance
It's going to be OK. It will come when it comes. Hey, I better order a holster so I can actually carry.

stealthfightrf17

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

funny to read, even better when you relize we have all be there. "rlol"

Topic author
rickyrick

Post by rickyrick »

ROFL

My impatients got the better of me LOL I called DPS today and they said it was printing woohooo no change on the website though.

Topic author
rickyrick

Post by rickyrick »

apparently, I just found out, that at the end of the fourth week in background check you call DPS and they tell you it's printing, then.... You can't get anything done at work because now you wanna see the website update.

You try to visualize the inner workings of DPS until you start loosing some grip on reality. You give up and start posting replies to your own thread on texaschlforum.com :banghead:

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

rickyrick wrote:Oh yeah, by the third week you can type your dl# ssn and dob with your non dominant hand while brushing your teeth on your iPhone
"rlol"

I sooooo did this!!!

chamuiel

Post by chamuiel »

rickyrick wrote:Oh yeah, by the third week you can type your dl# ssn and dob with your non dominant hand while brushing your teeth on your iPhone
in am 67 years old, and I had never memorized my DL number until I started checking the DPS site daily.

Post by 77346 »

and wait until you realize that "mailed" does not actually mean that it has been mailed... :???:
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

BillPearland

Post by BillPearland »

77346 wrote:and wait until you realize that "mailed" does not actually mean that it has been mailed... :???:
How very true - my status went "mailed" last Tuesday morning. Typical mail delivery time from Austin to my home (suburb of Houston) should be two days max. I figured there was an outside chance to receive mine on Thursday but more likely on Friday or Saturday. I'm now hoping it will come today or tomorrow (Monday or Tuesday).
06/14/2012 Online Application
06/22/2012 Fingerprints
06/23/2012 CHL Class
06/25/2012 Mailed to DPS
06/26/2012 Delivered to DPS
07/03/2012 Background under Review
07/20/2012 Manufacturing Pending
07/21/2012 Manufacturing
07/24/2012 Mailed
07/30/2012 RECEIVED!!!

BillPearland

Post by BillPearland »

77346 wrote:and wait until you realize that "mailed" does not actually mean that it has been mailed... :???:
and to further the point, my status changed to "Mailed" on 7/24 but the envelope indicated it was actually mailed on 7/26.
06/14/2012 Online Application
06/22/2012 Fingerprints
06/23/2012 CHL Class
06/25/2012 Mailed to DPS
06/26/2012 Delivered to DPS
07/03/2012 Background under Review
07/20/2012 Manufacturing Pending
07/21/2012 Manufacturing
07/24/2012 Mailed
07/30/2012 RECEIVED!!!

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

NO!!! NO NO!!!

I DON"T want to hear any of this. I'm sure the efficient and attentive government of the Great State of Texas will have my paper work processed in a timely manner with minimal delay. "rlol"

Texas_Tee

Post by Texas_Tee »

"rlol" :rules:

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”