Chicago Murder Rate Up

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
JJVP
Posts in topic: 2

Chicago Murder Rate Up

Post by JJVP »

Well duh!!!! Anyone surprised?
After weeks of media reports about Chicago homicides — which so far are up nearly 38 percent from last year — Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy defiantly said during a news conference that the gang strategies in place before McCarthy arrived were the ones that failed, not the new ones.
http://news.yahoo.com/homicides-spike-c ... 17621.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by JJVP on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

74novaman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Chicago Murder Rate Up

Post by 74novaman »

JJVP wrote:Well duh!!!! Anyone surprised?

http://news.yahoo.com/homicides-spike-c ... 17621.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sadly, no I'm not surprised.

Folks like Obama think that the Chicago way is the right way. Scary, isn't it?
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
JJVP

Post by JJVP »

After weeks of media reports about Chicago homicides — which so far are up nearly 38 percent from last year — Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy defiantly said during a news conference that the gang strategies in place before McCarthy arrived were the ones that failed, not the new ones.

P.S. Whohooo. Reached 1000 posts. :anamatedbanana
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

Maybe they should consider making it easier for good people to own guns and carry.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

rp_photo wrote:Maybe they should consider making it easier for good people to own guns and carry.
If that were to happen, "there will be blood in the streets!TM" :fire

Not a bad thing, better there than in my house...
Last edited by Jaguar on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

rp_photo wrote:Maybe they should consider making it easier for good people to own guns and carry.
I agree with you the Chicago residents need to be able to defend themselves. But all indications on this murder rate increase suggest that it is rival gang killings.

There were two other interesting comments in recent articles on the subject. In addition to blaming the previous administration, the Mayor's office blamed the heat. Apparently it is the heat that makes people murder one another. According that theory, Texas should have been a massacre last Summer :fire

The second interesting point was the they have no plans to change their strategy. It's working....it just needs more time. Hmmm...that sounds awfully familiar. :evil2:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

pinkpistol

Post by pinkpistol »

My Mom was born and raised on the Southside of Chicago. I visited there 6 years or so ago. A nice mix of peaceful black/white integration. A few dozen streets or so to the NW, there were 12 year old hispanic children flashing gang signs as we crossed a street, from one neighborhood, into the next. The barrio, or, the demographics changed to reflect the new wave of of immigrants to Chicago, our nations Second City.
Chicago is BESET by racial/gang warfare. That is why they have attempted gun limits. The current City administration has said, We will not blame this on the weather, although that has allowed more people on the streets in this Northern Climate city earlier than before.
Gang activity always uses the summer months for all-out warfare. It's the summer vacation, homes. So different from when I was a kid. Cali set this precedent, as did NY.

Gotta be smart and aware. And sad. It's one thing to be a great "melting pot." And another to be a country where so many different cultures, clash.

No real bottom line here, just an awareness that we need an open eyed look, and a reasoned conversation about this.
Glock 19, Taurus 738.

Valor

Post by Valor »

The killings in Chicago are much less due to gun control, rather community relations. Most of the killers and decease are youth under 21 and gang related. There are a smaller percentage of innocent bystanders.
Chicago’s high murder rate as almost totally gang related and geographically isolated. In modern America, that identifies these as war deaths in the War on Some Drugs, and not “gun deaths” as the media likes to frame the argument (to vilify firearms and create public fear).

Noted in this very interesting article: http://www.gunlaws.com/GunshotDemographics.htm

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

pinkpistol wrote:My Mom was born and raised on the Southside of Chicago. I visited there 6 years or so ago. A nice mix of peaceful black/white integration. A few dozen streets or so to the NW, there were 12 year old hispanic children flashing gang signs as we crossed a street, from one neighborhood, into the next. The barrio, or, the demographics changed to reflect the new wave of of immigrants to Chicago, our nations Second City.
Chicago is BESET by racial/gang warfare. That is why they have attempted gun limits. The current City administration has said, We will not blame this on the weather, although that has allowed more people on the streets in this Northern Climate city earlier than before.
Gang activity always uses the summer months for all-out warfare. It's the summer vacation, homes. So different from when I was a kid. Cali set this precedent, as did NY.

Gotta be smart and aware. And sad. It's one thing to be a great "melting pot." And another to be a country where so many different cultures, clash.

No real bottom line here, just an awareness that we need an open eyed look, and a reasoned conversation about this.
There have been clashes of cultures since this country was founded. Not all of the colonists appreciated the revolution so conflict existed then, too. There always will be tension between communities with different heritage. That even happened in small towns in PA.

Gang problems exist nationwide. The question is to what extent does the local government allow them to control their respective turf. The Chicago method of flooding an area with officers after an incident seemed to work. Now, that isn't the strategy. I'd venture a guess that there are more than a few neighborhoods in the Chicago area have very little police presence most of the time. With that kind of geographic power in the hands of the gangs, it is no wonder that they are killing one another - an a lot of innocent bystanders, too.

I do not believe that the police force in Chicago is used for the good of the residents. That is a political decision not a LE one. I suspect that it has been that way a very long time, probably well before prohibition but it was that law that really was the forerunner of the current setup. I don't believe it would be possible to root out all of the corruption in two lifetimes. In the mean time, the gangs control the streets and kill one another.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Jaguar wrote:
If that were to happen, "there will be blood in the streets!TM" :fire
Ironically, I think there already *is* blood in the streets under the status quo...
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I think it's Bush's fault.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

Tatooed people should not own firearms.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

anygunanywhere wrote:Tatooed people should not own firearms.

Anygunanywhere
Whoa! Hold on. Rahm Emanuel says the gang members have values. Tattoos is (sic) one of them, didn't you know?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

puma guy wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Tatooed people should not own firearms.

Anygunanywhere
Whoa! Hold on. Rahm Emanuel says the gang members have values. Tattoos is (sic) one of them, didn't you know?
Values. That is funny.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I know they value 'respect' a lot. Oh, and 'keeping it real'.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Return to “The Crime Blotter”