Gun Range Demanding Too Much Personal Info

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 6

Gun Range Demanding Too Much Personal Info

Post by Jim Beaux »

Ive been to different ranges throughout the country and have never had to provide much more than my name and sometimes asked to sign a waiver.

Today I visited a new range in the area and was given a form asking for name, address, home & cell phone number, drivers license number (& let them make a copy), & email address.

I told the lady at the counter I would give my name & city and would leave if that wasnt good enough. I explained that I was only there to shoot & I could not see a good reason for giving my personal data. She said go ahead and shoot.

Afterwards when I was checking out she informed me that she called the owner and he said in the future I would be required to provide the info. I told the lady that I was sorry, but there would be no "future" visits.

What gives here? Have any of you been required to give up your personal info to shoot at a public, outdoor range?
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun Range Demanding Too Much Personal Info

Post by longtooth »

Never had that. Been to a lot of ranges.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

I could understand that if they were renting you a gun but not for shooting your own. I agree with don't go back.

erick619

Post by erick619 »

Never had to do that (even at shooting ranges in San Diego, CA). The only time I provided that much information is when i joined the the corpus christi pistol and rifle club, but that's different because I'm a member.

I agree.... no 'future' visits.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers)

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sjfcontrol »

And where was this? :totap:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

sjfcontrol wrote:And where was this? :totap:
Vidor
~Unknown

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RPB »

Jim Beaux wrote:Ive been to different ranges throughout the country and have never had to provide much more than my name and sometimes asked to sign a waiver.

Today I visited a new range in the area and was given a form asking for name, address, home & cell phone number, drivers license number (& let them make a copy), & email address.

I told the lady at the counter I would give my name & city and would leave if that wasnt good enough. I explained that I was only there to shoot & I could not see a good reason for giving my personal data. She said go ahead and shoot.

Afterwards when I was checking out she informed me that she called the owner and he said in the future I would be required to provide the info. I told the lady that I was sorry, but there would be no "future" visits.

What gives here? Have any of you been required to give up your personal info to shoot at a public, outdoor range?
Wow, I wouldn't go back either.
Soooo what's the combination to your gun safe, hours you are away at the office and home phone so we can call from your doorstep to be sure no one answers...?
:smilelol5: "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 3

Post by E.Marquez »

I have shot at ranges all across the US, literally.. I take my guns when i travel, if not to carry (when not allowed I don't...mostly) then to shoot for entertainment.. NEVER have i had to give out that kind of personal info.. though I have had to leave a drivers license while I was on the line.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Name, Addy and Phone number, I'm sure they want for marketing reasons.

Drivers License? There is absolutely zero logic to that one. Why in the world would they need that kind of personal information? The only thing I can think of is for legal reasons, should you decide to go berzerk in there and shoot the place up, manage to bail out in a crowd of gun wielding shooters, and escape without a trace.

I'd find another range.
No More Signature

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 3

Post by E.Marquez »

snatchel wrote: Drivers License? There is absolutely zero logic to that one.
I had to give up my DL at one of the ranges I shot at in Atlanta GA. But you paid AFTER you were done shooting... and the range doors were close to the front doors
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

michael e

Post by michael e »

Range I go to the most takes your DL, but you pay at the end. This is mostly to get the guys that are buying ammo to not reliaze how much they are spending until it's too late. Other than that they make you sign in, name and phone number thats all.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sjfcontrol »

Don't let them swipe your drivers license in Texas. Thats a misdemeanor.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

BassPro in Grapevine requires that you fill out a "range card" of which they keep a copy on file for you to shoot there. That range card asks for address, TDL#, and other info. I just don't care if they have the information. The pistol club I belong to has all that information too.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MoJo »

Jim Beaux wrote:
Vidor
Was this the range on 105 south of town? If that's the one the owner of that range is a little uh lets say different. I live in Vidor and shoot at Golden Triangle Gun Club south of Beaumont, it's a membership club. Orange Gun Club on 1442 is a membership club too. If you would like to go to GTGC sometime as my guest PM me.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

MoJo wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:
Vidor
Was this the range on 105 south of town? If that's the one the owner of that range is a little uh lets say different. I live in Vidor and shoot at Golden Triangle Gun Club south of Beaumont, it's a membership club. Orange Gun Club on 1442 is a membership club too. If you would like to go to GTGC sometime as my guest PM me.

Yep, you know the range. When I am home I generally go to Leger's on Hwy 90, but they are closed on Mondays.

I would like to visit GTGC. I live 10 minutes away (Mid-county). Thanks for the invite, I will PM you when I can give decent advance notice.
~Unknown

Return to “Shooting Ranges”