2nd time shooting my Kimber - Bummed

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 2nd time shooting my Kimber - Bummed

Post by RoyGBiv »

LTUME1978 wrote:I am getting the same response from Kimber. My Super Carry Pro went back to the factory almost two weeks ago. It had a long list of issues even after 600 rounds of break in (they wanted me to go to 800 rounds but I had enough of wasting my money at 600 rounds). There was so much wrong with the pistol that I asked for my money back. They initially told me that they would refund my purchase price and asked for the receipt. Then, they told me that the lady that runs the factory would have to look at the pistol first to make a determination and she would not be back until the 18th. They are also now acting like they don't want to refund my money. I told them that I used Winchester white box, federal ball and blazer brass ball for the break in. They told that none of that ammo was any good. They would not explain why and expected me to use $1 per round self defense ammo to break in the pistol (they are out of their minds).

I can tell anyone that is considering a Kimber to look at something else.
If I had ever considered buying a Kimber, this thread, especially this post right here, has convinced me otherwise.

Sorry for your troubles. Thanks for the warnings.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

rentz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rentz »

RoyGBiv wrote:
LTUME1978 wrote:I am getting the same response from Kimber. My Super Carry Pro went back to the factory almost two weeks ago. It had a long list of issues even after 600 rounds of break in (they wanted me to go to 800 rounds but I had enough of wasting my money at 600 rounds). There was so much wrong with the pistol that I asked for my money back. They initially told me that they would refund my purchase price and asked for the receipt. Then, they told me that the lady that runs the factory would have to look at the pistol first to make a determination and she would not be back until the 18th. They are also now acting like they don't want to refund my money. I told them that I used Winchester white box, federal ball and blazer brass ball for the break in. They told that none of that ammo was any good. They would not explain why and expected me to use $1 per round self defense ammo to break in the pistol (they are out of their minds).

I can tell anyone that is considering a Kimber to look at something else.
If I had ever considered buying a Kimber, this thread, especially this post right here, has convinced me otherwise.

Sorry for your troubles. Thanks for the warnings.
yup, i was about to spend 1k on an ultra cdp 2 and i read this thread and it was enough to make me second guess the decision and i ended up holding off.
Not so much due to the issues discussed in the tread, because any company can have some problems. But because of how their CS has handled it by telling the poster to use more expensive ammo and break it in longer.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Excaliber »

I can tell anyone that is considering a Kimber to look at something else. You may get a good one but I am finding more and more folks who have bad ones (that have been back to the factory and are still bad) and they don't know what to do with them other than make them safe queens. By the time one pays a good 1911 smith to get the thing reliable, you could be very near the price of a real custom pistol. If you muyst buy a Kimber, don't get anything other than the 5 inch barrel. They seem to have more problems with the shorter barreled pistols.
Way too many of these reports are coming out to explain away by a glitch now and then, and the company's handling of this one is indefensible. The "good ammo / bad ammo" nonsense is insulting. They must be having some major quality control issues.

I have some of their earlier guns that run just fine, but I'll be staying away from their products until they get their act back together.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

Excaliber wrote:Way too many of these reports are coming out to explain away by a glitch now and then, and the company's handling of this one is indefensible. The "good ammo / bad ammo" nonsense is insulting. They must be having some major quality control issues.
It would be interesting to know if they have new management and/or are trying to increase profits and production quantities. This usually results in major quality control issues and can damage or totally destroy a company. This is especially true where the business sector is so small.
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I can tell anyone that is considering a Kimber to look at something else. You may get a good one but I am finding more and more folks who have bad ones (that have been back to the factory and are still bad) and they don't know what to do with them other than make them safe queens. By the time one pays a good 1911 smith to get the thing reliable, you could be very near the price of a real custom pistol. If you muyst buy a Kimber, don't get anything other than the 5 inch barrel. They seem to have more problems with the shorter barreled pistols.
The ammo business is distressing. No intelligent gun designer would insist that a user break in a gun with the most expensive ammo available. I've been a believer in Kimber products ever since I bought mine, and my own customer service experience with them was nothing but good. I'm not doubting what you've said, but I am chagrined to hear that your experience was not as good as my own.

About guns smaller than the 5" models, between me, my son, and his SO, we've got three Kimbers in the family: one 3" and two 4" models (a Pro Raptor and a Pro Carry). Other than the slide-stop issue when my 3" gun was brand new, and which Kimber was very responsive to 4 years ago, none of us has ever had a problem with our Kimbers. Again, I am sorry that you're having so much trouble with yours, and maybe they really do have a QC problem these days. I think it is important for owners of old Kimbers that are functioning reliably that there's nothing wrong with their guns. OTH, if something were to crop up, maybe avoiding Kimber's customer service is the pathway to peace.

I'm satisfied with my ownership experience. But that said, I am considering selling either my 3" Kimber or my 5" Springfield in order to fund the purchase of another gun I've got my eye on.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Kimber sure makes pretty guns...... And I would say that their customer satisfaction, based on what I have read in people's reviews, is somewhere around 85%. I kind of think of Kimber 1911's as an experienced gunowners type of gun. For someone who is competent enough to tinker, adjust, and play with it until it's running smoothly. This is why I don't own a Kimber. I have neither the initial funds to purchase one, nor the long term funds to ensure it is broken in with good ammo, etc. I also don't have patience. The only way I would ever purchase one is from a member here, who I trust, who has already worked the bugs out of theirs.

I wanted a .45 ACP pistol. I bought a Glock 30. I have never had any issues with it, ever. The catch is I carry around an ugly piece of plastic :)
No More Signature

Topic author
AustinBoy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by AustinBoy »

I spoke to a local gunsmith on Friday, Hank Fleming. (anyone know him? I have read really good things about him)

He said for around $200 (ROUGH estimate without seeing the gun, could be less) he would go through the gun and get it running as smooth as silk.
Polish, de-burr etc. Will take about a month.

I am seriously considering it. I know I shouldnt have to spend $200 on a new gun to get it working correctly, but I figure even if it was working perfectly, the things that he will do will only make it better.

I really wish I didnt love this stupid gun so much.

AB
NRA - Life Member
TSRA - Life Member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

snatchel wrote:The only way I would ever purchase one is from a member here, who I trust, who has already worked the bugs out of theirs.
It's great that you could trust a forum member, but sad that you don't trust Kimber.
Last edited by WildBill on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

healedknee

Post by healedknee »

I currently have 3 ultra sized Kimbers (3" barrels) and all are reliable. I have had the larger Kimbers, too as well as Sig M1911s (still have 1), Colt (still have one), Springfield (still have 1) and Dan Wesson (still have 1). What I have found is that the common denominator for problems is the magazine meaning that it is not uncommon for the mag that comes with the guns to be of inferior quality. Suggest you try Kimber ProTac or Wilson Combat mags (about $ 30.00 each). I have found that my guns, regardless of manufacturer or size, work 100 with these mags. Also, I've shot thousands of rounds of 9mm and 45 acp Win white box through my guns with no issues.

Note that I don't know anyone who's been dissatisfied with the Kim Pro-Tac mags.

Good luck.

Topic author
AustinBoy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by AustinBoy »

I have the mag that came with it and 5 Kimber Pro-Tacs.

I started setting the magazine by the side when I had a failure to feed.

By the time I was done, all 6 where set aside.

I havent tried the Wilson Combat mags.

I figured the manufacturer's own branded product would be best.

I still think I am going to hand it over to Hank Fleming and see what he can do.

BTW, I put 50 rounds of Remington 230gr FMJ through it this weekend. No FTF.
Went back and bought 4 more boxes for an IDPA match but we got rained out. :(

Thanks
AB
NRA - Life Member
TSRA - Life Member

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Kimber continues to miss the mark, time and again. The pretty roll mark with good resale value will mean little when you need it to save your life.
SA is in the same price point with better product and better service.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

gigag04 wrote:Kimber continues to miss the mark, time and again. The pretty roll mark with good resale value will mean little when you need it to save your life.
It's not just coincidence they're made in the shadow of New York City.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

MoJo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MoJo »

snatchel wrote:
I wanted a .45 ACP pistol. I bought a Glock 30. I have never had any issues with it, ever. The catch is I carry around an ugly piece of plastic :)
Well unless Texas adopts open carry no one will know it's an ugly piece of plastic and even then, I will still carry my ugly piece of plastic (M&P 40.) Pretty guns don't always act pretty. :thumbs2: :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

gigag04 wrote:Kimber continues to miss the mark, time and again. The pretty roll mark with good resale value will mean little when you need it to save your life.
I likely missed it... But did you ever get that used Kimber running right?
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

bronco78 wrote:
I likely missed it... But did you ever get that used Kimber running right?
I sent it to Kimber, and they made a new slide without that stupid extractor issue, and even ate the $275 cost because I was an LEO. It ran ok after that, but never great (1-2 FTF ever 100rds or so). I sold it for a loss, and informed the buyer of its history. He was happy has about the same luck.

I should make a post in the Never Again section that only says "owning a Kimber."

There are just many preferable choices at or below that price point with a decent product and real service.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”