obamacare upheld

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

74novaman
Posts in topic: 14

Re: obamacare upheld

Post by 74novaman »

canvasbck wrote:Words, within forum guidelines, can not express what I am feeling right now. I do not want to be one of those people who hates our government, but they let me down time and time again. To have Roberts and not Kennedy deliver the death blow makes it even more difficult to believe in our system. This nation has lost it's way, and my hope of us getting back on track get dimmer with each action taken by our Federal Government.
This surprised the heck out of me as well.

I'm disappointed, but am waiting to see what the legal eagles are able to read into the decision before I go off the rails completely.

One speculation I've read is that if its considered a tax instead of a mandate, it could be repealed by 51 votes in the Senate, which might prove interesting......

We will see what comes of this. :grumble
TANSTAAFL

AEA
Posts in topic: 17

Post by AEA »

canvasbck wrote:Words, within forum guidelines, can not express what I am feeling right now. I do not want to be one of those people who hates our government, but they let me down time and time again. To have Roberts and not Kennedy deliver the death blow makes it even more difficult to believe in our system. This nation has lost it's way, and my hope of us getting back on track get dimmer with each action taken by our Federal Government.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

VMI77
Posts in topic: 22

Post by VMI77 »

mamabearCali wrote:So now if we don't buy our vegetables the govt can impose a tax? Is there any limit to the amount of taxes a gove can impose! How about if we don't wanto buy a certain brand car....can we be taxed for that? What a pandoras box has just been opened.

Yes, no (in theory anyway, though in practice you can't squeeze blood out of a rock),and yes.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

snatchel
Posts in topic: 8

Post by snatchel »

Disgusting..

As a veteran, I am offended that the very constitution which I fought my *** off for has been so grossly violated by at the hands of my Commander in Chief.

I would love to see everyone insured, but not at the expense of liberty.
No More Signature

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

I am against obamacare, cause it would make US like Canada or UK. How do you get pre-paid socialized medicare in Canada? Via Tax! So, US would be also the same as Canada. Canada, we tax you and automatically get pre-paid medicare. Here in the US, it would be we would tax you $7500 per year, and if you get a private insurance costing $7500 or more, you will get back $7500 in tax credit. I am paying $16,000 per year for MI premiums and 4k in deductible plus some 1k in co-pays. Let us see if the mew obamacare-Tax is fair and I do get back my $7500 in tax credit.

I moved from Canada to US just because of the tax load, I guess now I have to find my own country on an island somewhere in mild-seasoned closed seas. Greek had a lot of fiscal trouble lately, Maybe I can secure an island on the cheap. I call my own Country and have my own laws and banking systems too.
:banghead: :banghead:
Beiruty.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

AEA

Post by AEA »

The SCOTUS upheld it as a tax. Can SCOTUS implement a tax? I don't think so.

Does a tax increase have to be passed by Congress? I think so.

Will MaoBama introduce a bill for the tax to fund it? Will it pass?

Still lots of questions........

Only way out is change the administration, both POTUS and Congress Members.
Last edited by AEA on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1911's RULE!

psijac
Posts in topic: 5

Post by psijac »

I don't know whether I should vote Rommeny to merely slow our basket wrapped decent or vote Obama to speed things up. Secession is our only chance of freedom.

Regardless I thing a new gun purchase will help smooth this defeat.
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

AEA

Post by AEA »

psijac wrote:Regardless I thing a new gun purchase will help smooth this defeat.
I am buying MORE AMMO! :shock: :txflag:
(There, now with 2 posts, this thread is Gun related) :biggrinjester:
Last edited by AEA on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
1911's RULE!

Katygunnut
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Katygunnut »

mamabearCali wrote:
LikesShinyThings wrote:It's worse than the passing of the law. There is always a hope that the administration changes with the year. If that happens, there's a chance the law will be repealed. But that doesn't change to tragedy of the Supreme Court decision... the decision stands as precedent, even if this law goes away. With the precedent, there are other laws that can be passed that inflict further horrors.

Exactly..now anything can be forced upon us as a tax. Govt wants to force you to eat bananas....if you don't buy bananas pay a tax. Gov wants to force you to use green energy...if you don't-- pay a tax. What a pandoras box.
:iagree:

The damage is done regardless of what happens to this law. The SCOTUS just said that the government can force US citizens to buy anything they want, under the guise of a tax.

I have a solution to the housing crisis. Anyone who makes over $50,000 a year must either immediately buy a house, or pay a tax equal to $20,000 a year. Problem solved.

The next time the auto industry starts hurting, we will just impose a tax on anyone making more than $X unless they buy a new car, etc.

Liberals need to understand that this cuts both ways. A conservative administration and congress can mandate that everyone buy a firearm, and receive proper training. If you don't like it. That's fine. Just pay a tax equal to 75% of your income.

For all intents and purposes, the people living in the territory formerly known as the United States of America are no longer free men and women. We only have freedom to the extent that the elites want us to have freedom, which is to say that we have no freedom whatsoever. The USA was a nice experiment while it lasted. We had a good run for 150 years or so, and lingered on for almost another 100 years. Most countries lasted longer, but Democracy is tough. In the end, our little experiment has failed.

It will be interesting to see what we get next after the inevitable turmoil that will be coming. History has shown that oppressive governments are always overthrown. Even sheep can only take oppression for a limited amount of time before they eventually stand up to their oppressor.

In the mean time, all I can do is make sure that I am as prepared as possible.

Kythas
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Kythas »

I suppose now the government can eliminate homelessness by mandating all US citizens purchase a house.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

Words can not express.......
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

Kythas wrote:I suppose now the government can eliminate homelessness by mandating all US citizens purchase a house.
This is an income tax, so gov can only mandate 50% of the US citizens purchase a house. (Of course, the other 50% already have housing provided by the first 50%. <snide? yeah, probably a bit; I'm kinda disgusted right now.>)
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

comp73 wrote:From what i am seeing, roberts upheld the act by deeming it constitutional under congress' taxing authority, not via commerce clause. the other 4 on the left deemed it ok under commerce clause

*edited due to typos due to shoulder surgery
AEA wrote:The SCOTUS upheld it as a tax. Can SCOTUS implement a tax? I don't think so.

Does a tax increase have to be passed by Congress? I think so.

Will MaoBama introduce a bill for the tax to fund it? Will it pass?

Still lots of questions........

Only way out is change the administration, both POTUS and Congress Members.
The term "Obamacare" should be retired today. It is now "the Obama Health Care Tax."
Last edited by RPB on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

clarionite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by clarionite »

I do believe it's way past time for an amendment to be added to prevent future decisions being based on this one. Something along the lines of not being taxed for breathing. Taxes are based on some action. How can you be taxed for existing?

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

clarionite wrote:I do believe it's way past time for an amendment to be added to prevent future decisions being based on this one. Something along the lines of not being taxed for breathing. Taxes are based on some action. How can you be taxed for existing?
Ummm.... Congress wrote the law, and the SCOTUS upheld it.
Is it right? No. But that's how it can be.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”