COSTCO Gun Policy

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Re: COSTCO Gun Policy

Post by sjfcontrol »

Well I signed up for membership in the "Price Club" in CA in 1984. Price Club was taken over by Costco at some point and the membership,was transferred. I have no idea what was in the original agreement, but I'd bet a lot that it wasn't 30.06 wording 28 years ago in California! :thumbs2:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 14

Post by wgoforth »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Keith B wrote:
3dfxMM wrote:
Btw no proper sign at the Costco near me. No signs at all at the Costco where Erik Scott was murdered.
Why would they need signs? All the members have already been informed of the policy.
30.06 signs or notification in writing in in the form of 30.06 are the legal methods for Texas. This is not a legal 30.06 notification, so you could not be prosecuted for carrying there. The most they could legally do is terminate your membership, ask you to leave and have you arrested for trespassing if you refused or came back.

EDIT TO ADD: wgoforth beat me to it
This. And by the way, to the OP, THANKS A WHOLE LOT for giving me notification. I did not know this before, and I've been a Costco member for nearly 20 years. Regardless of their policy, I was unawares of it until now and could have legitimately claimed that I never received notification, and now having read the official web page, I can no longer truthfully say that I have not received it........30.06 or not.

:grumble

I realize that we need, as fellow members of the CHL community, to keep one another informed about the legal pitfalls involved. But, what does it do to a legal defense if the prosecution knows that you read the Costco policy before carrying into the store?

Truthfully though, I don't give a rip. Until they post a proper 30.06 sign, I'm going to pretend that I never read this and I'm not going to let any of this deter me.
Sigh.... until YOU chose to click on the link, you only had my word. until YOU chose to click on the link, you still could have said you did not receive it. Most of the time, we RKBA guys are about personal responsibility. Maybe I'm in an ill mood today, but don't know why I am being blamed for trying to make others aware of this issue, and then was up to them or not to click on it and read it.... think I'll go take a chill pill for a while. Back in a few days.......

BTW...doesn't written (legal) notification have to be the same wording as the 30.06 anyway, if it is the legal aspect one is worried about.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

westex1948
Posts in topic: 1

Post by westex1948 »

VERY INTERESTING......My brother & I were talking about COSCO, because we wanted to compare prices vs SAMS.

The last several years, we have averaged spending between $5000 to $6000 each year at SAMS in DFW area. I am planning
trip to COSCO later this month to check prices. (I live in Abilene so have to plan these trips).

Plan now to still go, check some prices just for my knowledge, THEN go to membership desk check out RULES and will take a HIGHLITER so can mark their rule as I hand them back their paperwork ...REJECTING THEM AS MY SUPPLIER.

May even have time to visit a 2nd one just for protest sake.... :rules: :txflag:

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Oldgringo »

I couldn't care less what their policy is. We are customers not employees. They sold us a membership, without qualification, that allows us to spend our money in their store. When they no longer want our money, they can refund the membership fee. What in the world is the big deal? ITMT, concealed is concealed.

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

My wife has a membership to Costco, I go there with her when stocking up to help so as far as I am concerned I am not a member therefore I am not bound by their policy, I guess they could revoke the membership that I do not have.

I did not see anywhere in the rules where somebody cannot bring a "bodyguard" with them.... I agree with the others unless the store is properly posted I consider it a wish list that has no legal bearing.
Salty1

alphonso

Post by alphonso »

This man certainly had a bad experience (fatal) from carrying a legal gun at Costco...

http://pjmedia.com/blog/gunned-down-in- ... rik-scott/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Embalmo

Post by Embalmo »

alphonso wrote:This man certainly had a bad experience (fatal) from carrying a legal gun at Costco...

http://pjmedia.com/blog/gunned-down-in- ... rik-scott/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those police officers deserve to be in jail for man slaughter, but why did they that guy stay after he was told to leave? I suppose the guy was thinking, "I guess I told him." "When the police come they're gonna' tell the manager to stop harassing concealed license carriers." The best that guy could have hoped for would be being arrested for trespassing.

Embalmo
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

Keith B
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Keith B »

Embalmo wrote:
alphonso wrote:This man certainly had a bad experience (fatal) from carrying a legal gun at Costco...

Those police officers deserve to be in jail for man slaughter, but why did they that guy stay after he was told to leave? I suppose the guy was thinking, "I guess I told him." "When the police come they're gonna' tell the manager to stop harassing concealed license carriers." The best that guy could have hoped for would be being arrested for trespassing.

Embalmo
There's currently 58 pages of discussion on the shooting of Erik Scott here http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=36107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

The Annoyed Man wrote: This. And by the way, to the OP, THANKS A WHOLE LOT for giving me notification. I did not know this before, and I've been a Costco member for nearly 20 years. Regardless of their policy, I was unawares of it until now and could have legitimately claimed that I never received notification, and now having read the official web page, I can no longer truthfully say that I have not received it........30.06 or not.

:grumble

I realize that we need, as fellow members of the CHL community, to keep one another informed about the legal pitfalls involved. But, what does it do to a legal defense if the prosecution knows that you read the Costco policy before carrying into the store?

Truthfully though, I don't give a rip. Until they post a proper 30.06 sign, I'm going to pretend that I never read this and I'm not going to let any of this deter me.
My thoughts exactly. I always look for the 30.06 and I'll just leave it at that, I don't recall any policies regarding firearms when i signed up a couple months ago. I love my 5 gallon drums of ketchup too much to give up Costco.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

This is a coincidence. I was in the lobby at work today and there was a small poster on the wall announcing that COSTCO would be visiting this Friday to sign up new members. BTW, I am not going to sign up. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Keith B »

WildBill wrote:This is a coincidence. I was in the lobby at work today and there was a small poster on the wall announcing that COSTCO would be visiting this Friday to sign up new members. BTW, I am not going to sign up. :lol:
Not even for 5 gallon drums of ketchup? :mrgreen:

Even though you may not sign up, maybe you can get a copy of their membership agreement they have folks sign and give it the once-over to see if it has anyting in there about no firearms.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:
WildBill wrote:This is a coincidence. I was in the lobby at work today and there was a small poster on the wall announcing that COSTCO would be visiting this Friday to sign up new members. BTW, I am not going to sign up. :lol:
Not even for 5 gallon drums of ketchup? :mrgreen:

Even though you may not sign up, maybe you can get a copy of their membership agreement they have folks sign and give it the once-over to see if it has anyting in there about no firearms.
Both the ketchup and I would expire before I could use 5 gallons. :lol:

I will try to do that. :thumbs2:

Edited: I just found out they cancelled and Sam's Club is coming instead.
Last edited by WildBill on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

knotquiteawake wrote:I love my 5 gallon drums of ketchup too much to give up Costco.
Drums? Drums? When is the cookout?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gdanaher »

My wife and I went to the local Costco when it opened some time ago. We were not members but were given a one day pass to shop and buy if we chose to. No mention of any rules, let alone anything about concealed guns. I don't remember if I was armed or not. Given the apparent policy that they object to legal concealed carry, I would suggest that anyone with a chl should submit their membership cards and request refunds. I appreciate the concept of having consistent rules from state to state, and that Costco was born in Washington, a not so friendly state, but our dollars can be spent elsewhere and those retailers would appreciate the business.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Oldgringo »

We went to the Kalispell Costco today. We showed our card upon entering, made our purchases and showed our card upon leaving. I didn't ask if I could CC and I didn't tell that I was CC'ing. You know why, because.......wait for it...hear it comes:
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+