COSTCO Gun Policy

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 14

COSTCO Gun Policy

Post by wgoforth »

I learned yesterday that COSTCO has an official no-gun policy for it's members. I am assuming this, like an employee company policy, means you could have membership terminated if found in violation. Myself, I would not become a member first knowing this is their policy. Here it is from their website:

https://costco.egain.net/system/selfser ... ticle=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If this has been covered, I apologize. I did search and did not see such listed. Note it basically says if you don't like our policy, go somewhere else.

Apparently this is not on the application anywhere, but within a membership packet you receive after joining.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 4

Re: COSTCO Gun Policy

Post by RottenApple »

Personally, I don't care what their policy is. No 30.06 = legal to carry. :tiphat:

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Well, we let our membership lapse many years ago. And if my wife ever goes to get a membership again, I'll make sure its Sam's.

3dfxMM
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 3dfxMM »

Legal, yes, but they can still kick you out and terminate your membership.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

3dfxMM wrote:Legal, yes, but they can still kick you out and terminate your membership.
Well, if they "caught" you then I guess you weren't doing a good enough job at concealment. Besides, a store (membership club or not) can refuse service to you for any reason.

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Since one agrees to this policy as a requirement for membership, is it honest to join, then carry anyway? For me, no. Second, why would I choose to do business with them if that is their policy?

Keep in mind this is a private club. They are not required to follow "civil rights laws" as such. Note letter sent to this person. After scouring internet, I found this exact letter sent to numerous people, so must be official generated letter to any inquiry:

"As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of "public accommodation" within the meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of "public accommodation" does not include a bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public. Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy.

Sincerely, "
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

They don't check the status of your card when you walk in, as mine was expired, when I did my first wallywalk there in honor of Erik Scott.

Costco does a lot more than terminate your membership when you get caught carrying there.

Btw no proper sign at the Costco near me. No signs at all at the Costco where Erik Scott was murdered.

Since Erik Scott died, Costco's stock has gone up 50 percent. My personal boycott isn't very effective.

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

Btw no proper sign at the Costco near me. No signs at all at the Costco where Erik Scott was murdered.
Why would they need signs? All the members have already been informed of the policy.

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

3dfxMM wrote:
Why would they need signs? All the members have already been informed of the policy.
Difference between policy and law. Penal code requires written notice to have same wording as 30.06
NRA Life Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Keith B »

3dfxMM wrote:
30.06 signs or notification in writing in in the form of 30.06 are the legal methods for Texas. This is not a legal 30.06 notification, so you could not be prosecuted for carrying there. The most they could legally do is terminate your membership, ask you to leave and have you arrested for trespassing if you refused or came back.

EDIT TO ADD: wgoforth beat me to it
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

3dfxMM wrote:Why would they need signs?
Because in Texas, simply saying "no guns" in literature, does not equal 30.06 posting.
If however they had the full 30.06 wording in their literature, then it becomes an issue that as a member, you were told, THEN signs would not need posting.
If I were to walk into a Costco (never have by the way), I would carry.
If I got a membership and they did not verbally tell me "no guns" or have the full wording of the 30.06 in their literature that I had to read and/or sign, then I will also still carry away.
The only risk I have there (with regards to Costco - not the Las Vegas Police) would be to lose my membership, if caught and they said I had to leave.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

You all missed the point. We weren't talking about the legality of carrying at Costco. Just their right to not allow it by policy and whether or not there is a moral imperative to honor the agreement that was made. There is no indication that Costco is attemting to make it illegal. They have a legitimate policy against carrying there and if they discover that you are they will terminate your membership. There is no need for signs because all interested parties have been informed of the policy. Th

Keith B
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Keith B »

3dfxMM wrote:You all missed the point. We weren't talking about the legality of carrying at Costco. Just their right to not allow it by policy and whether or not there is a moral imperative to honor the agreement that was made. There is no indication that Costco is attemting to make it illegal. They have a legitimate policy against carrying there and if they discover that you are they will terminate your membership. There is no need for signs because all interested parties have been informed of the policy. Th
No moral obligation IMO if they don't provide this data up front when I sign the membership form. They can change their policy all they want, and even say they don't want middle-aged overweight balding white guys to shop there. Since I didn't sign the membership agreement knowing that, then until they make me sign one that says I am not allowed, I will still shop there if I so choose.

I am not a member of Costco anyway, so it doesn't affect me. And I will tell you I don't read the stuff that Sam's sends, so until I am 'officially' notified, I don't abide by some companies ever-chancing policies.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

It was my understanding that it was in the membership agreement. I suspect if is wasn't, it was later mailed out to all members much like privacy policy updates. Either way, you agreed to it. If neither of those is true, then I agree with you.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Keith B wrote: so until I am 'officially' notified, I don't abide by some companies ever-chancing policies.
Exactly
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”